Best civ for gold?

Botswana

Chieftain
Now that BNW is out, which Civs do you think are the best for getting lots of gold, quickly?

IMO

1. Venice - The extra trade routes will make you incredibly rich
2. Portugal - Their UA plus the Feitoria let you rake in the dough
3. Arabia - Always was good for gold, but now their revamped UA make it even better
4. Morocco - Desert Folklore + Kasbah + Petra = wealthy religion + the trade route bonuses
5. Netherlands - Polders + luxury resource trading

I would say Venice, Portugal, or Morocco. Arabia's UA only gives them a better selection, not necessarily more gold.

Also, consider the Songhai in the early game. They can hunt barb camps for triple profits while everyone else is struggling.

While double the amount of trade routes is certainly enticing, it's simply too limiting for regular play. If I wanted to do OCC, I'd do OCC. Portugal gets my vote for the best gold civ. In addition to getting double the amount of gold for resource diversity, they also get the bursts of gold and exp from Naus. Finally, their unique improvement makes them one civ that you'll always be HAPPY to play as. ;D

Can't compete with Venice, insane gold from 20 trade routes.

Carthage is also a civ with bonus gold early on. Instant city connections with your new coastal cities, 30 tile sea trade routes from turn 1, and an extra 1 gold to each sea trade route.

Venice beats every one though, not even counting that you can cash 800 gold at Optics.

I would say Venice, Portugal, or Morocco. Arabia's UA only gives them a better selection, not necessarily more gold.

Also, consider the Songhai in the early game. They can hunt barb camps for triple profits while everyone else is struggling.

I absolutely agree about Songhai, that early game gold is huge. I think Arabia is likely to have extra gold too though, if only because he seems to be more likely to get gold heavy luxes (as far as I can tell, admittedly that's unreliable personal experience talking) and better selection often means better gold. Plus, the religious part of his UA means more effective Tithe and gold from temples with Piety, plus way more extra resources to trade off for GPT.

Whether this is enough to keep up with Portugal or Venice, I'm not sure, but I think it's enough to put them up near the top.

As far as other civs go, Inca seem like they'll have a huge amount of gold, with free or nearly free roads Makin trade routes even better.

Portugal does not get you the gold fast, though.

Naus and Feitorias aren't until Medieval.

I absolutely agree about Songhai, that early game gold is huge. I think Arabia is likely to have extra gold too though, if only because he seems to be more likely to get gold heavy luxes (as far as I can tell, admittedly that's unreliable personal experience talking) and better selection often means better gold. Plus, the religious part of his UA means more effective Tithe and gold from temples with Piety, plus way more extra resources to trade off for GPT.

Whether this is enough to keep up with Portugal or Venice, I'm not sure, but I think it's enough to put them up near the top.

As far as other civs go, Inca seem like they'll have a huge amount of gold, with free or nearly free roads Makin trade routes even better.

Don't forget about the Iroquois. Their forest roads increase caravan range and are free.

Carthage is also a civ with bonus gold early on. Instant city connections with your new coastal cities, 30 tile sea trade routes from turn 1, and an extra 1 gold to each sea trade route.

Venice beats every one though, not even counting that you can cash 800 gold at Optics.
Harbor gives extra 2:c5gold: for each trade route. And that might be doubled because of Sea Route modifier, though I am not completely sure of it. But yeah, Carthage is really wealthy.

Honorable mention goes to Arabia with Tithe. All that pressure and gold!

I haven't played a ton, but in my Morocco game I was super wealthy early on. The unique improvement + petra makes things so nice. As for the UA, it was really nice for the early game even though it doesn't seem like a lot; everything adds up.

I still find Arabia to be a stronger econ.. provided I have atleast 3 friends, and the whole world hasnt denounced/DoW'ed me. I also take pilgimage over tithe. On a large or huge map, and very aggressive missionary spam, 400+ filth per turn means alot of free GP. I always seem to have 8-12k unspent before ren. era. It's my nest egg for an instant army. This is on Diety.

Portugal's bonus kicks in as soon as you get your trade routes up and running. Sea trade routes are ridiculously profitable for them.

Portugal's bonus kicks in as soon as you get your trade routes up and running. Sea trade routes are ridiculously profitable for them.

As Portugal I'm getting about 26-28 gpt at sea by turn 250. How much are other civs getting?

Overall, probably Portugal.

Venice is great, and the extra trade routes are very, very worthwhile, but you have to be able to defend yourself, which is tough with Venice, and in the games I've played the AI has known enough to keep a target on Dandy's back. Glass cannon, financially-speaking, but very powerful in the right hands.

Morocco is strong, but more situational than you'd think. Start too isolated and you're screwed (something that doesn't really happen with Portugal, due to the more naval focus of their trading.) Like Arabia, Morocco benefits from a gung-ho piety start. Desert Folklore is a no-brainer here. Murder if you have to in order to get Petra, even if it's not as good as it used to be.

Arabia: basically everything I said about Morocco. They play very similarly, at least to me, so far.

Netherlands: Got screwed in the expansion. Not as badly as feared, maybe, but still. They were built for G+K and not at all redesigned for an entirely new game here. I'm eager, very eager, for someone to prove me wrong and find an awesome new exploit for them, but it hasn't happened yet.

Carthage: Effectively Arabia of the Sea, in terms of the most important civ bonus. Arabia gets the extra religion spreading, Carthage gets mountain passage, a little more gold, and MUCH BETTER TRADE BONUSES. Until the medieval age, anyway, but by then you should have your snowball rolling anyway. Give it another week or so and people will come back around to Carthage in a big way.

Portugal. Yeah, the Naus and Feitoria don't arrive until later. When they do, though, they blow up like crazy, especially the Feitoria, and you've already gotten your more-boring-but-more-important trade toue bonus from turn one. If you want to play financial, and not take the gamble on Venice, Portugal's your civ. Followed closely by Carthage, Morocco and Arabia.

how does no one say china? Get a pantheon to deal with happiness and you just rax your ass off. Get machupichu and exploration then laugh as your economy dwarfs everyone while racing at a stupid high pace to science victory.

Top Bottom