Civ4: No custom units or buildings=Crap game. Everyone go back to Civ3

I am pissed off about it too, but I'm waiting to see what the SDK will allow us unit creators to do, if anything.

...what? No game of the series ever gave the player the ability to customize units and buildings. :hmm:

Cya. Don't let the door hit you. Or facts, for that matter, since you don't know what you're talking about (as usual).

Sure they do, Civ3!. Down there we have thousands of new buildings, units and new leaderheads just waiting to be added to the game. Civ4 has nothing, and we aren't sure if there will even be the possibility of adding units without having to buy a program that costs thousands of dollars.

New units can be added by modding the XML files. Don't know how exactly, but there's a whole thread about it. Look for it.

Shut up. The game's not crap just because you can't figure out how to add custom units/buildings... :hmm:

Civ3 didn't have any decent units available for almost a year and only in the last year did we start getting the really incredible units. Stuff it, SoG. The game has been out for 3 days and you're *****ing and moaning and carrying on like a spoiled brat. If you can't be constructive you have no business in this forum, thanks. And I know you have a problem being constructive.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what your talking about.

My entire point is that people are trading in Civ3, with everything it has, for a new game. 3-D graphics do not make a good game, lots of content does, and that is what the modding community provided for Civ3. Without new units you cannot have a mod, so I'm not even sure why this Creation and Customization board is here.

Honestly it goes to show you how far society has fallen when people insult others and tell them to shut up if they don't agree with them. That isn't argueing or discussing intelligently. And curses are only used by those who lack conversation skills.

Chill out, Swoggie. Civ3's massive graphics collection isn't going to appear out of thin air. It takes time and effort to make this stuff, or even figure out how to make it, and you could help instead of bailing out until the rest of us build up our resources. Where would Civ3 be if Moeniir had waited for custom units instead of figuring out how the FLCs worked and making a program to export them?

A person can add *new* units to CivIV thru XML using the stock Civ4 3D models, but you cannot add new 3D models for new units as of yet. And yes, you can add custom units and graphics to Civ3.

Now, if someone likes the game, that is fine. I have no problem with people enjoying CivIV, and I don't expect them to share my feelings. It just didn't live up to my personal expectations.

Has this been confirmed? The only thing that makes Civ 4 good was the massive amounts of custom units, graphics, mods, buildings, leaderheads, etc....

If Civ 4 does not give the abality to do this then screw it I'm sticking to Civ 3

There are no new units to add that is the entire point. That is why the game is crap right now. Compared with Civ3, which has thousands of new units availible.
How will we ever get new units to add if everyone thinks like you? Rome wasn't build in a day and neither will the C&C forum. Theres alot more modders will be able to do with Civ4 vs. Civ3, I mean with all the codeing and junk and Civ4 is (from what I've heard) all-around a better game so it has the potential to surpass what Civ3 is right now. The last thing we need is people like you discouraging people from trying to make units and buildings for Civ4. Obviously right now, things are slow (the games only been out for a few days...) and no ones quite sure how to tackle the task of custom graphics/models, but in time we'll figure it out, just like for how we discovered new techniques and more efficient ways of creating graphics for Civ3 (and got more members interested in participation). So, SoG, I understand where your coming from and your frustration, but try to see it from a differant angle :)

My computer doesn't have a video card, so I can't play it yet. Just alittle frustrated I suppose...lol

I will tell you this though, that once and if it is possible, I will be bringing my few Civ3 units in as Civ4 units. There will be alot of work ahead to create a vast libraury for Civ4, but I will do my part.

And here I am thinking I've only had the game 3 days... Shame on me and everyone else in the community for not having any units or anything substantial created yet. :crazyeye:

Corn Shucker said:
Rome wasn't build in a day and neither will the C&C forum.
Well, actually... :p

You're right though, it will take some time. Go back to Civ3 C&C and find posts from 2 days after the release. I guarantee you they were more clueless than we are now.

Having said that, at least we can reskin units for now. I don't know about you guys, but I'm glad for that ATI bug. Otherwise we might not have had access to the Firaxis art. :D

I wouldn't be too quick to judge Civ4. It's far too early to say anything as it has only been released for a few days and there's very little we know about what we can do with it. I didn't even get into modding Civ3 until two and a half years after its release. :p Indeed, I am very disappointed that everything is in 3d now. It's very likely that I probably will not be able to make any new city graphics (and it is highly unlikely that any of my Bryce stuff could be used) and will be stuck with the horrid and overly generic looking city graphics of vanilla Civ4. Nonetheless, I must admit that I am very intrigued by the possibilities Civ4 has to offer.

But since some have mentioned that reskinning shouldn't be too much of a hassle, my way of pixel-by-pixel may actually be useful here ;) . I suppose Civ4 isn't going to put me entirely out of business. Once I get Civ4, I'll see what I can do with the unit skins since I do have a DDS converter. :)

For most people, the game is more important than what the units look like. Personally, I am not going back to Civ 3 because I wasn't keen on it and I already stopped playing it some time ago.

I pre-ordered Civ 4 but haven't got it yet. From what I hear, it mostly sounds like an improvement and worth playing -- whether the units are customizable or not.

Top Bottom