Civ V Will Not Launch...

Slynky333

Warlord
I get the "Do you want to use DX 9 or DX 10-11 To Play" query box. It doesn't matter which one I choose, nothing happens after I click (and the window I clicked goes away).

A check (and a monitor) of the Task Manager shows nothing running. While watching TM, I launch and Civ 5 blinks up and then goes away (as a task) in about 2 seconds.

I haven't played in many months but I never had any problem launching. I guess the program got bored and lonely and is punishing me...

Any ideas on other ways to try and launch? I've tried it from my Steam Library with the same results.

Thanks...

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support. :)

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting properties. It'll be one of the options in there.

Thanks for your reply. I found it. It's running now. Apparently a bit slowly... :)

Thanks for your suggestion.

I was hoping there might be more coming to try and figure out what happened. I was trying to avoid a reload (with a lucky diagnosis or something). :sad:

My Civ5 won't launch either, after clicking the desktop Icon, get the message select the version of the game to play. just like Slynky333 does. The only available to me is DirectX9. When I click one of two things happen; a window appears that blank (black) or I see a window appears for about 2 seconds, as Slynky333 describes. This happens if I launch from the Steam website also.

I am using: Intel® G33/G31 on a HP Pavilion with DirectX10.
Also: I have what, I think, is the latest driver for it version 7.15.10.1666

Any suggestions?

You can't expect to run moderns games without a graphic card, at least not as long as your graphic chip is not at least as modern as those integrated into core i5/i7 CPUs and even with them it's gonna be on lowest settings all and slow and painful.
And just in case: Even if you consider to buy a laptop with an actual graphic card un the future, it still is going to suck at gaming (unless it prices a lot (and then it still does from an enthusiast point of view)).
Spoiler :
[I seriously wonder why people don't wonder why heatsinks in a gaming rig alone usually are just as large as their whole damn laptop; yet they complain about poor fps etc and are being told in forums to check their temperatures just to realized that their 'multimedia' laptop hardware is about to vaporize.]

Of course, that's not my problem. :(

I was running with nearly every option played at highest quality with my graphics card and mine just quit loading...

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting preferences. It'll be one of the options in there.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't played in a while and was having trouble starting up today. I spent an hour and a half searching for answers on the Steam forums. They had me checking Windows update and making sure all of my drivers were updated. Nothing worked, so I came here and saw this item and it fixed the problem.

If anyone else has this problem, right click on Civ5 in the Steam game list, select Properties and then click the Local Files tab. You will see the button to verify the game cache on that tab.

Thanks again.

Aw, aw... I didn't have any problem to run Civ5 on the day of today, until I decide today to let it go. Well, surprisingly it doesn't work at all, it doesn't even display the Direct X 9/11 choice, the Windows cursor just becomes a circle for some second, and then everything is ended.

I tried to verify the integrity of my cache files, it says it's ok but after that it does just the same : won't launch...

This is a very odd problem I never ever encountered in any of my games in my whole PC experience. Usually when I was able to play at a game, it was working until I uninstalled it. (the only exception to that was that some times uninstalling was messing up, but that's another story, I didn't uninstall / install Civ 5 in several months)

EDIT : I managed to get it working by launching it from steam. The odd thing being that it said that it downloaded files/the game. I could play after the files/"game" was "downloaded". Wonder where all this will lead me...

A good first step is generally to verify the integrity of your game cache. Do this by right-clicking on Civ5 in your Steam game list and selecting properties. It'll be one of the options in there.
I had the exact same problem with my copy of the game. It also took me a while to find the section where the game list even had a right-click section titled Properties. Fortunately, I found it and followed the advice here. It worked like a charm. Thank you! :D

I just bought Civ V and it won't autorun from CD. Tried to launch when opened CD, it goes into circle icon mode forever and never launches. Only could read PDF file, checked requirements, seem to meet the min. Frustrating that once the icon goes into circle forever, i have to shutdown PC, restart twice to allow the CD to be read again. After having no probs with previous Civs, looks like this may be my last as the game reviews haven't been that good in the posts. Sid's past quality doesn't seem to matter anymore since sales continues to bring big $$.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop, VPCCW13FX
It has an Intel Duo Core2 CPU T6600@2.2 Ghz, 4 Gig memory, 64 bit OS, running Windows 7 home premium. Sound NVIDIA High Definition Audio.

Naah, it's slower than the minimun reqs, but technically it should run, just not very smooth. ;)
AFAIK Civ5 does not check your hardware before installation, people got it installed and running with much worse.

Might be a defective DVD or drive, or some stuff in the background interfering with the installer.

Top Bottom