Considered a Villian By the World?!?!

Wow, an even bigger necro than the other one!

Some persons appear to be offended by people posting to threads that have had no activity in a long time. They refer to these threads by various phrases and catch words including "necro" (or compounds of it) which is derived from a Latin term meaning "dead". An example of the original meaning would be in "necropolis", meaning "city of the dead" or as we would now say "cemetery". Myself, I see no problem with posting to an old thread, if that seems appropriate, although the occasionally seen advice to someone who has posted nothing further for a few years does seem rather pointless.

I wouldn't consider it "wrong" - just a little odd. Think about face-to-face conversations... if you're in a group talking about one subject, and the group moves on to new topics, it feels a little strange for someone to suddenly jump back to the previous topic hours later without a segue. In the case of this thread, the previous topic was discussed 5 years ago.

It's actually somewhat amusing for people like me who have the forum set to auto-subscribe to threads I post in... I suddenly see a thread I replied to half a decade ago pop up on the list. Raising the dead indeed! :lol:

I wasn't offended. Thalassicus summed up my views upon the subject quite well.

Necroing can be pretty handy. It gets a few of the 'common' responses out of the way, because they've already been done. They provide more reading for those who're new to the topic, so it can imitate a higher-quality Opening Post.

Top Bottom