Official System Requirements

I got my computer back in '08 :eek: Still, judging from the system requirements, it looks to me as if I'll do fine :please:

NV6800 is wayyyyy below minimal specs for Civ 5. If you list all your HW here we can tell you if its worth to upgrade just few parts or if you will need new PC.

Unfortunately, the short answer is, I can't afford even to upgrade a few parts right now. If it doesn't run I'll be playing Civ IV until my financial situation improves.

I got mine back in Aug of 08, in anticipation of Spore :mad:. Ok well that was a waste but it did put me in fine shape to play the excellent Fallout 3. Two years later I am above the recommended Specs for Civ 5. So that make me think that most 3 or even 4 year old computer should be ok.

I think my laptop is below .

Core 2 Duo P8600
4GB RAM
512MB ATI 4570 mobile Radeon

Anyone want to confirm this is ok?

The graphics card is half to the minumum, 7900 so not gonna work, totally blows.

Typical my last laptop had more than enough for CIv4 except some shading and got the black ground issue.

Looks like I will have to wait 4 yrs before I get my next laptop to place V. I only got this lappy last yr.

You can't run even halfways modern games on crappy Intel integrated graphics. Unfortunate, but a fact of life. When they said 5 years they probably mean "gaming" systems from the last 5 years, and Intel graphics are unsuitable for anything more than webgames or old / really graphically undemanding games. Don't get mad at Firaxis for your not buying a system appropriate for gaming.

Anyway, if it's a desktop just go buy a real graphics card. If it's a laptop, well, you're probably out of luck.

The requirements are a little steeper than I thought they would be, but it shouldn't really be a surprise that Intel graphics aren't going to cut it.

Your totally wrong. I play Napoleon: Total War on my "crappy intel integrated graphics".

Feedest not the trolls, or enterest thou in the 9th Circle of Internet Hell :mad:

yep, post your Civ 5 system requirement questions here.

Here is my question:
will my Inspiron 537s work? its got a dual core cpu, 4060mb RAM, and a g41 express chip.
my computer has room for a graphics card but keep in mind it is a slim model.
Will it run? should i updated it? and if so how much $ are we talking?

Sadly I think the integrated graphics officially kills me laptop. I was hoping it would be able to run Civ 5 on at least min settings to hold me over until I get my new desktop come tax time. I was getting happier and happier until I got to the video card requirements. Pretty sure that killed me (like it usually does), I'm guessing the Mobile Intel 4 Series in this laptop came well before i3 and thus my hopes are dashed.

No Civ 5 for me until next Feb at least. :cry:

Need some help here, my system works alright for civ 4 on standard maps in the lategame, but anything larger than standard is way too long inbetween turns way too early.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

However for civ5 it appears im somewhere between the minimum and reccomended, am I doomed to playing only small maps?

Need some help here, my system works alright for civ 4 on standard maps in the lategame, but anything larger than standard is way too long inbetween turns way too early.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

However for civ5 it appears im somewhere between the minimum and reccomended, am I doomed to playing only small maps?

Forget it your card is too old its as fast as my laptop mobility card, not even half the benchmark of the minimum spec. You could however upgrade the graphics and you would be on minimum spec.

I think my laptop is below .

Core 2 Duo P8600
4GB RAM
512MB ATI 4570 mobile Radeon

Anyone want to confirm this is ok?

The graphics card is half to the minumum, 7900 so not gonna work, totally blows.

Typical my last laptop had more than enough for CIv4 except some shading and got the black ground issue.

Looks like I will have to wait 4 yrs before I get my next laptop to place V. I only got this lappy last yr.

Actually, that should be fine. The "4570" is the model of the card. The important number is the graphics card memory before it, and a 4570 is roughly the same generation as a Nvidia 9800, which is two generations newer than the 7900.

8 GB of Disk space and 4 GB of RAM?! CIV only required 2 GB I think, but wow, I guess it's time to remove some of my older games (my games from the '90s work on my Windows 7!)
Of all the system requirements to get worried about, 8 GB of disk space shouldn't be one of them. That much disk space costs about $1 these days. A bargain-bin hard drive will have more space than you will ever need for Civ 5.

yep, post your Civ 5 system requirement questions here.

Here is my question:
will my Inspiron 537s work? its got a dual core cpu, 4060mb RAM, and a g41 express chip.
my computer has room for a graphics card but keep in mind it is a slim model.
Will it run? should i updated it? and if so how much $ are we talking?

You could get a decent graphics card for about $50. I haven't found much about the Intel integrated chips. So I wouldn't know if you need to upgrade.

I am one of probably several people who have a somewhat old (3 years in my case) laptop skirting the minimum requirements. I have a ThinkPad T61, and the 2GB of RAM and 2.0 GHz dual-core processor are both right at the 'minimum' level. The graphics card, however, is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. I'm having a heck of a time trying to compare this to anything - anyone have any idea?

I am fairly shocked at these rather beefy requirements. But then, what do "minimum" and "recommended" actually mean? Does minimum mean just barely playable, or does it mean that it will play fine on lower settings - ie. things will not look pretty as in the screenshots?

Does anyone know if a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading on counts as a dual core CPU?

I was hoping to install it on my PDP-10, would that be viable?

Does anyone know if a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading on counts as a dual core CPU?
No it has one core.

I am one of probably several people who have a somewhat old (3 years in my case) laptop skirting the minimum requirements. I have a ThinkPad T61, and the 2GB of RAM and 2.0 GHz dual-core processor are both right at the 'minimum' level. The graphics card, however, is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M. I'm having a heck of a time trying to compare this to anything - anyone have any idea?

I am fairly shocked at these rather beefy requirements. But then, what do "minimum" and "recommended" actually mean? Does minimum mean just barely playable, or does it mean that it will play fine on lower settings - ie. things will not look pretty as in the screenshots?

The reason you are having a hard time finding info on the 140M is that it is a Quadro line, which is not a gaming card but a CAD/CAM-DCC card. But in this case it is based on the 8400M Geforce chip.

Unfortunately even if your card was a fully capable 8400M(which it is not) the 8400M is much weaker than the 7900.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...7900-gs-vs-383mb-nvidia-geforce-8400m-gs.html

So you can try the demo with all the effects turned off and see how it goes, but I think you are in need of a new laptop or desktop to play Civ5.

CS

You could get a decent graphics card for about $50. I haven't found much about the Intel integrated chips. So I wouldn't know if you need to upgrade.

He probably would. The minimum specs say an Intel i3 integrated GPU would work, but he's got a Core 2 chipset. Any Intel GPU would just barely squeak by anyways. Maybe it'll work in Strategy mode, but it's below minimum spec so there's no way to be sure short of trying the demo.

Top Bottom