Next ALC: Vanilla, Warlords, Patched Warlords?

On which version of Civilization IV should the next ALC game be played?

• Vanilla Civilization IV 1.61 (no Warlords)

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Warlords, unpatched

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Warlords, patched

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sisiutil

All Leader Challenger
All Leaders Challenge game #9 is over. All Leaders Challenge game #10 will feature Asoka of India. But which version of Civilization should the game be based upon?

Should I just get the game underway with vanilla Civ IV (since you folks are so impatient). :mischief:

I have bought Warlords! Yay! Should I play the next ALC with the unpatched version, get used to the basic changes, and then adjust the gameplay on the following ALC when the patch (hopefully) is out?

Should I delay the next ALC until the Warlords patch is available?

Frankly, my own preference is either for option 1 or 3. Given the educational nature of the ALC games, I'm not big on the idea of learning strategies and tactics that will, very shortly, no longer be valid. But let me know what you think.

I was going to say 1 or 3 - definitely not 2.

Looking at the end of game stats for ALC9, it took over 16 hours to play and must have taken a fair amount of time to write up, so considering the time and effort that goes into these games, it seems silly to start one with a buggy version that'll be obsolete soonish.

I'm in the same boat. The day they announced that there was going to be a patch I had just bought Warlords at lunch. Oops, so now I'm waiting to install Warlords until the patch.

I didn't really miss a beat moving from civ 4 vanilla to warlords. I haven't experienced any bugs and the changes they made in game play plus additions have been welcome.

I would encourage you to play with an unpatched warlords so you can see how much fun an army of trebuchets are before they up the cost. Engineering, as a technology, has never looked so appealing. Pikes, roads +1, trebs, and the hagia.

all this said, I am looking forward to the patch because the improved AI changes will be welcome.

I quite like my regular fix of ALC so option 1 would be preferable to 3. :) It will after all allow you to further hone your skills at Monarch. A reprise at Monarch will help my game playing as well. I'm trying to remember if you have already played a leader with the same traits. I don't think you have but I wouldn't put money on it.

i think we need another Vanilla game. if it's a week until the patch, that means 2 weeks-ish before you're ready to play and ALC on Warlords, right? if you think the clamoring is bad now..

I voted for Warlords patched. That will give you time to work on your story over in the Stories and Tales forum. That is off to a good beginning by the way. If you don't look out, it could turn into another Pax Romana.

It should be interesting to see if Warlords (patched or unpatched) wins out against Vanilla Civ IV.

There are so many good changes in Warlords and tactical options that it would be nice to see the discussions such as how to use your newly minted general, whether to gambit the Great Wall, etc.

Most of those issues won't change in the patch. The improved AI is simply an improved AI, not really anything new to learn. The increased cost of the Trebs may or may not be a breaker. The 50% reduction on GP points for the Great Wall simply makes the gambit for the Pyramids more difficult and the CS slingshot will probably be out of range unless one pops a couple of tech huts along the path.

Overall though, I'm not sure that the patch will change the game enough to not want to play the current version.

Ashlord said:
I voted for Warlords patched. That will give you time to work on your story over in the Stories and Tales forum. That is off to a good beginning by the way. If you don't look out, it could turn into another Pax Romana.

Another vote for 3, not because I don´t like the unpatched Warlords ( I think it is fine) but because of your roman story.

Heh - treat yourself to an Early Great Wall (tm) before it's too late. But really, The Wall isn't much different in the patch for a non philo leader, just 1 GPP instead of 2. In general to me the patch doesn't look much different. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, you'll get to build the Mausoleum,the UB that puts the uber back into UB (totally not ;)).

I Voted for Civanilla.

Mainly because I dont want to wait for the Patch. But also because I don't have Warlords and dont want to salavate at the Pretty Pictures.

Civ4 Vanilla on the condition you use blake's improved AI mods

Download at this link http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157780&perpage=30&pagenumber=7

Your gonna eventually play against the smarter AI on the new patch eventually anywayz so might as well get started.

Blake's Currently improving on the AI's Great People Usage, you could wait untill he's fin with that 1st or you can just go ahead play ASAP if your impatient

I'm Gonna go back to Vanilla and test out how much this New AI is capable of...?

I've been hearing about this patch for a while now. I think you have time for one before the patch is ready.

Vanilla with Blake's mod seems like a good idea. I'm against playing the unpatched Warlords now as in it would very soon be obsolete. At least Vanilla isn't going to suffer the same fate (and there are people who still don't have Warlords and may not be planning to get it). If you want a taste of the new patch, install the mod on Vanilla.

So it's option 1 for me :)

Ok voted for vanilla because I didn't wanted to wait :p (yes I am one of the impatient ones, just like Cabert) but now the patch has arrived I would say go option 3.

Killroyan said:
Ok voted for vanilla because I didn't wanted to wait :p (yes I am one of the impatient ones, just like Cabert) but now the patch has arrived I would say go option 3.
I'm not impatient, it's just that I know you should not lose momentum ;). The ALC became a big part of these forums, and as such should not be out too long.

Same for me. Since there is no more waiting, go on with patched warlords (and be ready to get kicked ;))

I also change my vote to patched Warlords now that the patch has been released.

Warlords, Parched version, and start with Noble again.

I had the luck to beta test the patch and I found it made substantial changes that serve to increase difficulty level (Blake AI changes are significant in making AI "smarter").

kniteowl i dont think that is the real patch because when i go into the game and say Check for Updates nothing comes up

Top Bottom