Laptop Password

Generalissimo

Chieftain
I just recived a IBM ThinkPad 755CD from the estate of a late relative. I was planning on using this machine to type papers in my bed and play Civ II and Colonozation, so it does have at least something to do with CIV. Anyway, when I started it up I find that the screen I get to is nothing more than a little icon that looks like a hard disk and another icon that looks like a lock with a little flashing curser next to it. I get three chances to type in the right password before the machine locks up and I have to restart it to try again.

Does anyone know of a way I can find out the password or bypass the password? Is it a BIOS password or one on the harddrive? I tried making it boot off of the floppy drive, but it doesn't even look at the floppy, just goes strait to this password thing.

Please help me out, I'd really like to have a computer of my own and stop using my roommates.

If you need any more information just post it and I'll try to answer.

hmmm.
there is sometimes an option for a password in the BIOS. if this is the case, you can probably get around it by resetting the bios by removing the battery from the motherboard for a little while. Maybe. dunno how it'll work on the computer you specified. might be a bios reset switch. hopefully that'd get rid of the password problem.

anyway, you can probably look around the bios to check if the password is originating from there first - which would be a good idea.

Bobgote, how would I be able to look around the BIOS? I do not know too much about computers, but I'm pretty sure I cannot get into the BIOS. Are there any keys I can press right when it starts up to get it into the BIOS?

its usually the delete key just as your starting up. the key you need to press should show up on the bottom of your screen while the computer is doing it's memory test.

I tried doing that and pressing many other keys at the same time and nothing seemed to work. I took out the harddrive and replaced it and still no luck. I even took out the harddrive, cd drive and floppy drive and it still takes me to the password setup. I'm going to disconnect the battery inside but for some reason my screwdriver isn't working very well because the screw is stuck. Thanks for you help Bobgote, but I think I might just use this for parts or something or maybe sell it on ebay.

If it is a BIOS-level password, you cannot enter BIOS without knowing it - just like you cannot continue the boot process. The way to fix that is to remove the battery from the motherboard for a few seconds to allow all the volitile bios memory to discharge. Easy on a full-sized computer - more difficult on a laptop.

Thanks Padma but I do not think it is a BIOS-level password because even after the battery being yanked out it still wouldn't work. Must be a funny chip in the computer that stores the password or something. Thanks for the help.

Well. . .there are two batteries on a laptop. One is the 'main' battery, that you use to run the computer. There is a second, smaller battery on the motherboard that resembles a watch battery. This is the battery that keeps the bios memory 'live'. Removing this and your 'main' battery will allow the bios to expire.

There might also be jumper settings (there are for desktops, dont' know about laptops) and it will reset the password.

I just ran this Google Search. There is some info here, but I didn't wade through it. You might or might not find something here.

But I think Padma's suggestion of removing both batteries is your best bet.

as has been said, it's a small battery on the motherboard. needs to be out for 30 seconds or so. it's worth looking at as your computer is more valuable working than not :)

Top Bottom