The Civ Atlas: BNW Civs, City-States and Wonders on maps

Liex

King
Hey Civfanatics,

I'm updating those old maps to include BNW new features. The main objective is to illustrate where the game's features are located in the real world and how they're distributed geographically. I hope you like it!

But first, a disclaimer: These maps are not intended to be accurate. For instance, they don't show most great empires - such as the Mongol or the Roman - at their greatest extent. That would be impractical to drawn and ugly to look at.

1. Civilizations
  2. City-States
  3. Wonders

Last Updated in July 21, 2013.

1. Civilizations
Spoiler Standard version :

Spoiler Low quality mirror :

• Vertical stripes: Countries whose historic or national features are used by a different but close civ. Eg.: Norway's "Norwegian Ski Infantry" is Denmark's UU.
  • Diagonal stripes: Overlapped civs. Eg.: Greece, Byzantium and the Ottoman Empire; China and Tibet (since Tibet is a popular demand, but is technically Chinese).
  • Horizontal stripes: Regions that share much (history, culture, in-game city list etc.) in common with a close featured civ. Eg.: Iceland and Greenland (Denmark); Central Asia, specially Afghanistan and Takikistan (Persia)

To be honest, these maps are rather arbitrary. :king:

2. City-States

City-States Summary:

Americas:

Cultured: Buenos Aires.
Maritime: Panama City, Quebec City and Vancouver.
Mercantile: Cahokia.
Religious: La Venta.​

Europe:
Cultured: Bratislava, Brussels, Bucharest, Florence, Kiev, Milan, Monaco and Prague.
Maritime: Ragusa and Riga.
Mercantile: Antwerp, Genoa and Zurich.
Militaristic: Belgrade, Budapest, Sofia and Valletta.
Religious: Geneva, Vatican City and Wittenberg.

Africa:
Maritime: Cape Town, Mogadishu and Mombasa.
Mercantile: Zanzibar.
Militaristic: M'banza Kongo.
Religious: Ife.

Asia:
Cultured: Kabul, Kathmandu, Kuala Lumpur, Kyzyl and Yerevan.
Maritime: Byblos, Manila, Ormus and Ur.
Mercantile: Colombo, Hong Kong, Malacca, Samarkand, Singapore and Tyre.
Militaristic: Almaty, Hanoi and Sidon.
Religious: Jerusalem, Lhasa and Kathmandu.

Oceania:
Maritime: Sydney.
Mercantile: Melbourne.​

3. Wonders

Feel free to suggest anything you judge pertinent, and warn me if I missed something.

On the first map, the Polish and Assyrian icons aren't displayed.
On the second map, all icons aren't displayed.

:lol: Thanks for spotting that! Maybe there's a few other mistakes, just let me know.

On the first map, the Polish and Assyrian icons aren't displayed.
On the second map, all icons aren't displayed.

I didn't find the Polish and Assyrian icons in a nice resolution, so I left it that way for now.

I removed the little City-states icons on the second map, it was quite the visual pollution and perhaps unnecessary.

Great maps, the geographic gaps are interesting to see - you're missing Assyria on the civ map, by the way (unless I'm blind).

Great maps, the geographic gaps are interesting to see - you're missing Assyria on the civ map, by the way (unless I'm blind).

They're there (with Arabia and Babylon), but their color is too similar to the Ottoman's. I guess I'll use their secondary color to avoid confusion.

Awesome! Great work

Really cool work! I really hope that the next map update promotes Lisbon from city state to capital of the portuguese empire.

How is this organized?

Obviously not with the empires at their prime, else mongols would be much larger.

Could you make versions so there's one map showing the civs as they were at the height of the in game ruler, one at the hieght of their size preriod, and one with the modern day equalivents?

You forgot the 'R' in Netherlands. Great work, by the way!

I think Portugal is 100% certainly in (there's two new maritime city states, most likely replacing Rio (for Brazil) and Lisbon (for Portugal)), and I suppose the Zulu are also a good possibility (though not as 100% certain).

Anyhow, looking at the civ maps, I think the important gaps are southern/central Africa (though I suspect at least the Zulu will fill that void - though having another African civ too would be nice); Southeast Asia below Siam and Australia (Indonesia/Majapahit might fill that gap in well); and to a lesser extent Central Asia/the Silk Road region in between China and the Caspian.

Looking at that city state list makes me wonder again why they haven't included any from Latin America besides Rio. Montevideo is a very obvious choice, but there are quite a few others. I'd always hoped it was because they wanted to include Gran Colombia as some kind of pan-Latin American civ, but that hasn't happened.

Awesome maps, thanks for keeping them updated.

How is this organized?

Obviously not with the empires at their prime, else mongols would be much larger.

Could you make versions so there's one map showing the civs as they were at the height of the in game ruler, one at the hieght of their size preriod, and one with the modern day equalivents?

It's a bit hard to show every civ at their prime in Europe and the surrounding areas, unless you make a map for that on it's own. Almost everything has been part of at least two in game empires, with some areas up to seven. (Egypt has been part of Rome, Greece, Byzantium, Arabia and the Ottoman Empire, and a semi-independent colony of Great Britain.)

As before, great maps Liex! Are you going to update your wonders map with the wonders we have atm too?

How is this organized?

Could you make versions so there's one map showing the civs as they were at the height of the in game ruler, one at the height of their size period, and one with the modern day equalivents?

Yes, most of the greatest empires were unfortunately underestimated. I don't think I know a way to represent every civ at its greatest extent on the same map; mind the Middle-East and every civ that someday dominated it. Highlighting the "core" regions of those civs is more important.

Looking at that city state list makes me wonder again why they haven't included any from Latin America besides Rio. Montevideo is a very obvious choice, but there are quite a few others. I'd always hoped it was because they wanted to include Gran Colombia as some kind of pan-Latin American civ, but that hasn't happened.

True thing. Particularly I'd love to see Buenos Aires or Montevideo as Cultured or Maritime City-States. There are plenty room for Native American cities besides La Venta, as well.

As before, great maps Liex! Are you going to update your wonders map with the wonders we have atm too?

Sure thing, I just have to come up with a better layout for that map. There is just too much wonders, and gladly they keep coming ;)

Mesopotamia is going to have a lot of overlap (I see Persia doesn't even bother going there). When you add Assyria's logo, I would suggest having them overlap with part of Turkey and with Egypt to distinguish them from Babylon, except their colors are yellow and white so they would either be invisible to one or the other.

Great maps as usual, though.

Top Bottom