shadow games: changing speed

kazapp

Emperor
Okay, so the Strategy forum's full of walkthroughs where people post their start positions and invite anyone who like to follow along with their shadow games.

Only I'm a Marathon player and most games are played at Standard or Epic speed.

Now, I know how to create a custom scenario (just enter World Builder, save, and your game appears in the list of Custom Scenarios available for play).

But how do you get around the bug where the game keeps its number of allowed turns before a Time victory?

That is, I can change the difficulty level and I can change the game speed in the settings screen of the custom game. But changing from Epic to Marathon does not increase the number of turns available to the game properly.

What do I need to edit (which files, what settings, what numbers) to complete the change of game speed?

Feel free to point me to where this has been answered before...

Thank you.

For that you need to save the initial save in world builder and then edit the headline of it woth notepad like this ( only the bolded part matters for this ):
Code:
Version=11
BeginGame
	Era=ERA_ANCIENT
	Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
	Victory=VICTORY_TIME
	Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST
	Victory=VICTORY_DOMINATION
	Victory=VICTORY_CULTURAL
	Victory=VICTORY_SPACE_RACE
	Victory=VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC
	GameTurn=0
	[B]MaxTurns=0[/B]
	MaxCityElimination=0
	NumAdvancedStartPoints=0
	TargetScore=0
	StartYear=-4000
	Description=
	ModPath=
EndGame
This effectively removes the turn limit.

Ah! Thanks!

Actually, I wanted to set the turn limit to the normal Marathon level, and not "infinite", but thanks to you, that became easy.

MaxTurns=500
MaxTurns=750
MaxTurns=1500
...for Standard, Epic and Marathon, respectively.

If you put MaxTurns to 0, it does not remove the limit of the levels as defined by XML...it simply says to the game that you haven't hardcoded a limit to the turns in the scenario. This makes that the scenario will automatically load the time limit of the level you choose and not some other arbitrary number .

Top Bottom