IOT Organisational and Discussion Thread

I don't understand why Siege should remove autodefenders.

Is it a medieval one
Sort of, the start date is around 1300.

I don't understand why Siege should remove autodefenders.

To start researching Siege 1, you'll need to have Defense 3. By that time, most people should have at least Defense 1 or 2, more if you didn't beeline Defense 3. Having just Siege 1 negates all auto-defenders. In the early game, this makes wider attacks on those with Defense much more practical. 25 vs. 20 proved a nice improvement over 25 vs. 24, and that was before I increased the amount of auto-defenders one level of Defense gives. Finally, in the later game Siege unlocks artillery, which remove any type of defender from a province.

The Defense route isn't that viable if Military Tech unlocks siege; not only would they have an attack bonus, they'd also be able to remove the bonus of anyone who chose mainly Defense. With the other route, defenders are given a different sort of attacking bonus that doesn't compete with the Military Tech bonus.

Iron and Blood Q&A

And how do the war rules work? Because taking France in one battle is weird.

Not weird, because one turn represents 4 years, which I imagine is more than enough time to conquer a region such as France if the attack is successful (rebels and insurgents are another matter of course). Then again, you might manage to take over a few areas but not the entire province, and you'll have a situation where two countries control different parts of the same region.

In any case, you're not really fighting battles in this game; instead you're fighting campaigns. The game covers not a war, but an era. Iron and Blood is a fast game, in the sense that the length of real time represented by a turn is much longer than games like RIOT or Cold War. This way, more things can happen in a turn, and the game hopefully won't become tedious. I noticed that IOT players tend to be impatient and want their nations to advance quickly in a few turns; if a turn represents a relatively long time period, they can describe their nations' social, political or economic trends for several years in a single turn without it being unrealistic. Additionally, I'd like to game to run at least into the early 20th century, but I reckon waiting 50-100 turns for that to happen is too long.

This looks promising and fun. I'm really eager to play this! How will expansion work? One territory a turn, or even slower?

I've lifted a page from Lighthearter's Big Book and decided expansion should be achieved either by military intervention (think colonial wars) or economic domination (this will be a bit different from Lighthearter's though; instead of one-time bribery you gradually takeover a region over several years/turns). Each province will be different; some such as sparsely populated "Wild West" regions will be easier to dominate economically, but for some tougher regions you might have to send in your Gatlings and gunboats.

At first you'll find you won't have the strength to subdue most of the Neutrals, but as you develop your military and industrial muscle the underdeveloped Neutrals will become easier to conquer.

Heh, cool. I was talking about when sign-ups would begin though :p

This week I'll post a sign-up thread. If there's enough interest I'll launch the game.

This week I'll post a sign-up thread. If there's enough interest I'll launch the game.

Count me in! :goodjob:

Looking at the above post, I like the direction you're taking with this game, with it being much more grand in scale, and leaving out the tedious parts.

Just one question though, how much room for roleplay will there be in this game? Is it totally events based, or can players create their own situations to deal with?

Just one question though, how much room for roleplay will there be in this game? Is it totally events based, or can players create their own situations to deal with?

A bit of both. The sort of events you get depends on how you roleplay the game.

I'm pushing back the release date of RIOT III since I&B looks like it'll last a while. Working on a simple IOT which actually might go up this weekend.

By the way, IOT 6 has been dead for quite some time now. IIRC, the only reason Revolution IOT didn't use the title "IOT 7" was because IOT 6 was still running at the time it was created. Would anyone mind If I used the title?

By the way, IOT 6 has been dead for quite some time now. IIRC, the only reason Revolution IOT didn't use the title "IOT 7" was because IOT 6 was still running at the time it was created. Would anyone mind If I used the title?

Since I've never GM'ed a game I know my opinion doesn't really matter, but IMHO, I'd say no. The numbered ones have usually been the huge ones with a lot of people and I doubt a new one would get many people because of how many there are now. They are also traditionally simpler games.

Since I've never GM'ed a game I know my opinion doesn't really matter, but IMHO, I'd say no. The numbered ones have usually been the huge ones with a lot of people and I doubt a new one would get many people because of how many there are now. They are also traditionally simpler games.

This IOT will start after Iron and Blood and World of Trade are over and thus shouldn't be displacing other IOTs. In terms of simplicity, I'd argue that versus IOT 5 the game is less complex, especially comparing the technologies. Most of the changes are tweaks to prevent exploits like canal use, stagnation during war, etc. Without use of espionage into much later in the game, I'd say this is only slightly more involving than IOT 6 due to the return to the rule of more provinces equals more power.

IOTC should be a past game

For some reason nobody is posting in Viva la Tropico, I think its dead, it was good but Iron and Blood took away the players

Top Bottom