How is literacy calculated?

E66man

Warlord
In previous versions of Civ, you earned 100% literacy by making every science building in every one of your cities, but now it appears to be linked to how many techs you've researched. However, I've had games where I've researched Future Tech and still not been at 100% so it must be even more complex than just the base percentage of completed techs.

LOL... wow, nobody has any guesses?

I thought it was still tied to how many techs you have researched. At the beginning, you have 0% despite having one tech already researched.

Sure, but there must be more to it if you can have Future tech researched and still not be at 100%. Maybe the new formula ties in population somehow?

Either way, I'm not sure why the easy to understand science building built / science building available metric was dropped. It just bugs me that I can't get 100% as a point of pride.

Maybe the available buildings do still count, but you get a penalty for the ones you just can't build- so for example if I can't place an Observatory in every city it gets counted against me for literacy purposes.

Nabucco: "Hey Bibor, you illiterate moron! My literacy is 80% ha-ha!"
Me: "Orly? Okay, I'll just tell my illiterate level 5 Artillery I happen to have here..."
Nabucco: "No wait-"
Me: "Oh man, was that your library? So sorry. Not."

It also seems to be tied to the Writing technology somehow. I've seen Napoleon reach Renaissance and he still showed up as having 0% literacy.

Could be that it's a mix of how many cities have Libraries and how many techs you have researched.

I thought it was basically how many techs you've researched after writing. Maybe you need to research a few future techs to get 100%?

My guess it has something to do with BPT (beakers per turn) / population. So the more science per citizen you're producing the better your literacy, but that's just an educated guess on my part. I say that because I usually notice a decent jump in literacy after I start to build libraries and another after I start finishing universities. But it could just be raw BPT and nothing to do with current population. I only throw in pop because it's literacy rate is displayed as a % so it needs to be divided by something, supposed it could also be number of cities.

Just took another shot at this, and with half a dozen times of researching Future Tech I was still only at 99%.

Most likely the game simply doesn't count the Future Tech as being researched so it caps at 99%. This is one demographic that is completely transparent if you read the code for the screen -- it is solely based on the number of techs you have and whether or not you have researched writing.

Quoting Assets/UI/InGame/Popups/Demographics.lua:
Spoiler :
Code:
function GetLiteracyValue( iPlayer )

local pTeamTechs = Teams[ Players[ iPlayer ]:GetTeam() ]:GetTeamTechs();

local iWriting = GameInfoTypes[ "TECH_WRITING" ];
    if( iWriting ~= nil and 
        not pTeamTechs:HasTech( iWriting ) ) then
        return 0;
    end

local iCount = 0;
	for row in GameInfo.Technologies() do
	    if( pTeamTechs:HasTech( row.ID ) ) then
	        iCount = iCount + 1;
	    end
	end

return 100 * iCount / #GameInfo.Technologies;
end

This is one demographic that is completely transparent if you read the code for the screen -- it is solely based on the number of techs you have and whether or not you have researched writing.
Thanks for looking that up!

If they had implemented things similar to previous versions, where the Future Tech incremented version numbers each time you researched it, we might have been able to hit 100%. Very disappointing they chose to name that category 'Literacy'...

Well, I believe your literacy is the proportion between science and population; if you produce 100 science with 50 population your literacy is worth 100%. BUT however, what's not counted in your literacy are science produced by tiles, universities... JUST population and science.
How to get 100% then? Well, the word literacy says it already: how many of your people can read AND read. This means to have 100% literacy you have to build a library, and later, when you researched the appropriate technology, a public school in every city: then you produce 2 science for 2 citizens. Then everyone in your empire can read.
So if you want 100% literacy, don't go into a war (not as I do), because conquered cities bring your literacy down (but your points up xp)!
At least that's how I would explain it...

Well, I believe your literacy is the proportion between science and population; if you produce 100 science with 50 population your literacy is worth 100%. BUT however, what's not counted in your literacy are science produced by tiles, universities... JUST population and science.
How to get 100% then? Well, the word literacy says it already: how many of your people can read AND read. This means to have 100% literacy you have to build a library, and later, when you researched the appropriate technology, a public school in every city: then you produce 2 science for 2 citizens. Then everyone in your empire can read.
So if you want 100% literacy, don't go into a war (not as I do), because conquered cities bring your literacy down (but your points up xp)!
At least that's how I would explain it...

Man you just dug up a thread that's a year an a 1/2 old. Your necromancy skills are legendary.

I would say that it's. It possible to get 100% as there is an infinite number of future techs. But it is definitely tied to advances in the way described above the civ 4 based explanation notwithstanding. The exact mechanics are not clear but it isn't tied to productivity near as I can tell as when I've significantly increased science there hasn't been an increase next turn in literacy.

Top Bottom