Gods and Kings Mac

oliver

Chieftain
I've been looking around and cannot find any dates when gods and kings will be released and know its approximately 30 to 50 after it's released on windows but when exactly.

Aspyr has not released a date yet, but say they are working to keep the delay as short as possible.

Sssshh, quiet quiet. I'm trying to pretend I have not heard of this expansion until it comes out on Mac, so that I don't have to listen to all my PC friends going on about how great it is while I wait with barely contained excitement.

Then once they start patching it we'll have to do the whole 'can't play cross platform cause patches are out of synch' thing again.

Sssshh, quiet quiet. I'm trying to pretend I have not heard of this expansion until it comes out on Mac, so that I don't have to listen to all my PC friends going on about how great it is while I wait with barely contained excitement.

Then once they start patching it we'll have to do the whole 'can't play cross platform cause patches are out of synch' thing again.

At least, we should be able to play vanilla cross-platform while waiting for G&K patches.

I can't hardly wait until it comes out. I'll be keeping my eyes open at the App Store.

My hope is that it will run smoother on Macs. I wonder if Aspyr or Firaxis will be able to accomplish that? Or am I just hoping against hope here?

That's a triumph of hope over experience if ever I saw one!

My hope is that it will run smoother on Macs. I wonder if Aspyr or Firaxis will be able to accomplish that? Or am I just hoping against hope here?

Unless some hardware acceleration for OpenGL magically appears, this is just a dream.

That's a triumph of hope over experience if ever I saw one!

I dare to dream :). "Sigh," o well. I've been playing Civ, since Civ I (is that 1994?!), and Civ V is the only game that I cannot play on large map types. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and play on bootcamp. :)

I dare to dream :). "Sigh," o well. I've been playing Civ, since Civ I (is that 1994?!), and Civ V is the only game that I cannot play on large map types. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and play on bootcamp. :)

If your are using a MBP for your bootcamp'ed CivV, it will just overheat and go into thermal shutdown.

I googled Aspyr Gods and Kings (because my girlfriend has Civ V on her MacBook Pro and I enjoy playing with her...as well as playing Civ with her, so wanted to see when the expansion will be released for Macs) - and found an article that says they "are working hard to have a Mac version released soon after PC."

Here's the link

If your are using a MBP for your bootcamp'ed CivV, it will just overheat and go into thermal shutdown.

Are your words the words of a prophet or a charlatan trying to ruin my joy? I've played . . . Civ IV on bootcamp before, and I did not experience "thermal shutdown" —whatever that means precisely. To be honest, I am not extremely computer savvy when it comes to gaming on MACs. I do have a MBP (2011).

The reference here is to Civ5 not Civ4. They are different games.

I have no experience of trying to run Civ5 in Bootcamp, so I would start by assuming that IgnatiusTBarfat has, and speaks from experience. On the other hand .... this is the Internet :)

The reference here is to Civ5 not Civ4. They are different games.

I have no experience of trying to run Civ5 in Bootcamp, so I would start by assuming that IgnatiusTBarfat has, and speaks from experience. On the other hand .... this is the Internet :)

Well, I for one disagree with IgnatiusTBarfat. I can barely run Civ V on a standard map in OS X on my core i5 MBP (mid 2010, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 330M).

I can run large (haven't tried beyond that) maps perfectly in Boot Camp (Windows XP and now Windows 7).

I believe Ignatius is referring to the popular urban legend that the cooling systems of Macs are uncontrolled in Windows and rely solely on intel's inbuilt safety mechanisms. This only used to be the case where the bootcamp drivers weren't installed correctly but has somehow achieved the status of dogma on the internet.

Well, I for one disagree with IgnatiusTBarfat. I can barely run Civ V on a standard map in OS X on my core i5 MBP (mid 2010, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia 330M).

I can run large (haven't tried beyond that) maps perfectly in Boot Camp (Windows XP and now Windows 7).

The 330m runs, in my experience, poorly in Windows and not at all in OS X. That's just a feature of the 330m. The 2011's, from what I understand, do much better than the 2010's.

The problem isn't your i5, it's the 330M and nVidia's Mac drivers.

Anyone with an nVidia GPU in their Mac should use Bootcamp to game. Simple as that. No game publisher, not even Blizzard, can work around the mess nVidia and Apple left behind on those GPUs.

I have an ATI 4870 in my 3 year old (April 2009) Mac, and I run Civ 5 max graphics. even huge maps just fine, as well as D3 and SC2 at max graphics. I run Rift in Bootcamp fine, too.

so, the problem is not in Civ5, it's a problem Apple and nVidia caused, and when push came to shove, nVidia refused to fix it, even when Apple asked them to. So now, Apple doesn't use them.

Top Bottom