Copasetic UI Tweaks

Cope

Chieftain
So version 1 is ready. My goal with this mod is to improve on the UI in Civ V, adding some things I feel are missing and improving others. I've also taken some inspiration from the "A few UI ideas" thread. The list of changes is in the post below.

The mod is now online, and the attached zip can be extracted straight into the My Games/CivV/MODS folder.

More suggestions are welcome, and bug reports ofc :)

EULA screens:
I've also attached a second .zip file with modified FrontEnd.lua, MainMenu.lua and MainMenu.xml files that will disable both legal screens (the one at game startup and the one when entering the mods menu). Make a backup of these files then extract the .zip into your Assets/UI/FrontEnd folder and overwrite.

These modified menus were **Not tested with multiplayer** but I don't see why they should cause a problem.

Attachments

• mod4.jpg
    mod4.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 14,047
  • mod1.jpg
    mod1.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 15,658
  • FrontEnd.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 4,381
  • Copasetic UI Tweaks (v 2).zip
    44.6 KB · Views: 7,629
Change log v4
  • Updated with Thal's update
  • Improved worked plots mouseover for strategic view

Change log v2
  • Fixed bug that caused UI elements to overlay others incorrectly
  • Disabled CONTROL tooltip feature for now

Change log v1
  • When a city is starving, show number of turns until population falls on the city banner.
  • Moved stacked unit flags to tile horizontally to make selecting between them easier
  • Diplomacy window now shows who is protecting each city-state
  • SHIFT + Right Click on a notification will dismiss all notifications at once *
  • SHIFT + Mouseover on a city plot will show yields for all plots owned by that city, as well as which tiles are being worked. Works in both views.
  • Player-owned city banners now display a culture bar

* At least, all notifications that are possible to dismiss. The internals won't let you dismiss things like "Pick a new research topic"

These are very nice changes, downloaded and will give it a try. Everything in that list really bugs me in the vanilla game! It's annoying to click a dozen notifications or have to bring up a city window just to see how many turns are left before cultural expansion.

Could you tone down the online mod browser description a bit? Bright blue and all caps are a little off-putting, makes it look like spam email. ;)

Your mod is great, just one problem so far, unit icons and city banners overlap other ui elements

Hi Cope, those are some great ideas you've implemented.

I was wondering if I could offer some feedback etc.

I ended up removing your plot help Control key option as it conflicted with the Extended Plot MouseOver Popup mod - which I find works really well and it hides the plot info above the mini-map (which your mod reactivated) - so perhaps you can integrate that in or simply provide a version without the control key option.

Bug Report: As already mentioned - the depth layer for the icons + city banners are sitting above the top nav toolbar.

One more thing, i dont know if this is due to your mod because i had 3 or 4 mods enabled, but some icons that represented city state's quests are gone

Singapore was requesting help against an invanding civ

Perhaps was just a game bug and had nothing to do with your mod, in that case sry :p

I'll take a look at the depth problem later today, thanks guys :)

@AndyWiltshireNZ
Good point about the Control key thing, since that mod already does it better I'll remove it from the next build. Thanks!

edit: Turns out the depth problem is a simple fix, just had to remove the InGameUIAddin entries. Version 2 is online with a fix to this.

Sigma I'll look into the missing icons too, I don't *think* it has anything to do with this mod since I don't make any changes to that particular panel but I'll double check just in case. Thanks!

hello all, I have found a minor cosmetic flaw in your mod...
I have fixed it :)

The URL in the mod is not correct, I have fixed that :)
Attached the fixed MOD (now version 3) to the post...

Just a minor cosmetic fix, as I said...
Just place this in your MODS directory and use the instal;l method from within the MOD browser in the game itself...

Attachments

• Copasetic UI Tweaks (v 3).civ5mod
    34.6 KB · Views: 607
hello all, I have found a minor cosmetic flaw in your mod...
I have fixed it :)

The URL in the mod is not correct, I have fixed that :)
Attached the fixed MOD (now version 3) to the post...

Just a minor cosmetic fix, as I said...
Just place this in your MODS directory and use the instal;l method from within the MOD browser in the game itself...

was maybe not realy necessary...
I just noticed... (sorry about that people :))

Thanks Cope,

I was wondering if you could do something with the diplomacy global politics screen that lists all the civs and their relationships / pacts with each other. In particular, either remove or scale down their icons - perhaps replace with their civ name - so that you don't have to scroll down and can more easily see who's got what with who in regard to pacts and being at war etc. Basically just needs condensing down into a table of data as there's a lot of wasted space presently.

I was also wondering if you could integrate the Luxury resource display mod (displays a tooltip at the top) and modify it to also list who that resource is currently traded with and also give it some vertical padding.

That's if you take requests of course :)

I have an Idea... Somthing small...

I DLed A "end turn with space bar" function but it didn't work

Could you perhaps add this feature to your mod?

Hello all,

I have just done an additional MOD, called Unit Icon Multi Mod, but that does NOT work
therefore I have updated this one to v3, actually you can revert to v2 if you wish, does not hurt...

Only thing you will miss is the new method to select stacked units if you use v3 still...
Just in case, have removed v3 of the MOD from this post...

I was also wondering if you could integrate the Luxury resource display mod (displays a tooltip at the top) and modify it to also list who that resource is currently traded with and also give it some vertical padding.

That's if you take requests of course :)
I'll take a look at this mod, shouldn't be hard to add in something like that. I've been meaning to change the global politics screen too, so that should happen Soon(tm) :)

@Craigy1722
Good idea, should be a quick feature so I'll add it to the next build.

I'll be away for a few days on business, so probably no update before the weekend :(

Hey Cope, very nice work indeed. Keep it up!

I have just one question regarding modding.

If i define a function in a .lua file that already exists in the main Lua directory, will it be overridden with my new function or cause an error? How did you accomplish what you did with your mod?

Thanks in advance for the answer ;)

If i define a function in a .lua file that already exists in the main Lua directory, will it be overridden with my new function or cause an error? How did you accomplish what you did with your mod?
Basically when you add a .lua file to your mod, it will override the .lua with the corresponding name in the game's directory. This is why you should copy and paste the entire contents of the file into your mod.

If you want to add a totally new .lua file, to make a new panel say, then you have to tell the mod to include it with the InGameUIAddin content command.

Hi, Cope. Good stuff here. I use it.

How tough would it be to add the Enter key to the "CHOOSE NEW RESEARCH PROJECT" or "CHOOSE NEW CONSTRUCTION PROJECT" buttons? I always thought the Enter key to end a turn is totally usesless if you always have to click those buttons anyway.

Great suggestion, LitCube!!
You win a cookie for that. But I don't have any so you get bread instead.
:food:

Hi, Cope. Good stuff here. I use it.

How tough would it be to add the Enter key to the "CHOOSE NEW RESEARCH PROJECT" or "CHOOSE NEW CONSTRUCTION PROJECT" buttons? I always thought the Enter key to end a turn is totally usesless if you always have to click those buttons anyway.

Yeah, I suggested that in the UI suggestions thread as well. Make sure to let us know when that's in your mod, cause that alone would be reason enough for me to get it.

Top Bottom