Civ 2 on Vista 64 bit?

bhavv

Glorious World Dictator
Hi, firstly I'm sorry if this has already been bought up, but I have a sudden craving to play Civ 2 and I'm now using Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Any chance I can get the game to work on vista 64 bit?

wow i am surprised... I never thought to find a civilization forum!

i just googled a question and there it was. so hello!

i would like to thank zellig for the info, unfortunately it didnt answer my question.... and since there is no "technical support" thread for civ 1, I will post it here!

I just downloaded civilization 1 (good memories), but I am running Windows Vista 64, and it wont execute the game (incompatibility)

Does anyone know of a patch or a way to play civ 1 on vista 64??

thanx a bunch!

:goodjob:
I searched here in the forum and passed by that thread... i guess i was blind!
anyway i kept searching in google for emulation of old games in 64 Vista and finally came across DOSBox

I have just downloaded it and it sure works!
And thank you for the reply now i will enjoy the game!

I searched here in the forum and passed by that thread... i guess i was blind!
anyway i kept searching in google for emulation of old games in 64 Vista and finally came across DOSBox

I have just downloaded it and it sure works!
And thank you for the reply now i will enjoy the game!

This make me very happy!

I have recently become active here at CFC and am very thrilled at what I have found!

I am thinking of reinstalling CIV II, as I have a surgery coming up and am losing up left hand usage for at least 3 months and then most of its usage forever with a wrist fusion.

Now, where would an Old Gramps:old: put that disc?:confused:

Found it

Installed it!!

Will play tommorrow evening

I had CIV II ToT

Glad CFC had this as a subject, never would have thought this would run o such a new machine!

It prompted me to install direct X 6..a wee bit old:eek::lol:

Yes, you can run Civ II on Vista 64, in a way.

Microsoft has a free program called Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. It does, as the name suggests, create a virtual PC inside an existing PC. If you have Vista 64 and 3 or 4 Gb of RAM, then you've got plenty of machine to run a virtual PC.

Install Virtual PC 2007. Inside the virtual PC install an older operating system, such as XP. Then install Civ II on the virtual machine running under the older operating system.

The downside is that you must have an older operating system that you can install, likely from CD.

It's not too hard to do, but isn't easy either.

I've done it. It works.

Hi, firstly I'm sorry if this has already been bought up, but I have a sudden craving to play Civ 2 and I'm now using Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Any chance I can get the game to work on vista 64 bit?

thanks for you post rsenn... BUT

I was also having problems running civ II TOT on my vista 64 system (CivII has stopped working. Windows is searching for solution to the problem.) so, naturally I Googled it, found this forum, and ended up with the conclusion, based on your post, that my only option was to try using a virtual pc. I was successful in installing the virtual pc, and running windows xp on it, and then installing civ II on there. The game installed fine, and I went to start a new game, so far so good... the new game started fine, BUT when actually playing the game, there is like a 10 - 15 second delay after clicking my mouse when performing any kind of command.. now I COULD play this way but it would take me like a year to complete a game at this pace... :confused: is this as good as it gets?? Is there anything I could do different?

I allocated 999 Megs of ram to my virtual pc, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Actually I have Civ II installed on a Vista 64 bit OS and it seems to work fine - except most scenarios don't have sound (which, obviously they should). Any ideas? (I'm not using a Virtual PC program nor DOS-BOX.)

I just installed the windows7 release candidate, along with the virtual pc application and the XP version that runs under it. You don't need an extra xp license with this approach. The good news is that for the first time civ2-2.42 runs under a 64 bit os. There are two negatives:

1) Like rkgamer said, there seems to be some sort of a slow down.
Task manager shows that civ is at 50% cpu(on a E8400) much of the time, and response is snappy. Then, it drops to nothing for several seconds when things really slow down. I suspect that there are some tuning knobs that will fix this. When I next upgrade, I will be installing W7 and will look into this more.

2) Still some problems with sound. I can select music, but get no sound. I seem to have this problem on any machine I try. Perhaps I have a bad cd.

In the mean time, MGE will run on a 64 bit OS with a patch. I would like to find a patch that makes the aggressive mge ai more like 2.42.

Excellent, that patch works excellent on Windows 7 64 Bit.

Glad this forum exists!

Top Bottom