Greek Strategy

MKElderGod

Warlord
I did something different with the greeks. To make a story short I horsed Rush and Currency rushed. I used Athens as a pure growth city(courthouse use all GL and PL) to make Athens a big and powerful city. Used ai Caps as settler farms. Rushed any techs I thought I can get first. Made currency and republic a priorty to get free market and Trade post in a nice sand gold city. Using any gold I have to make my science, gold, and culture production stronger (libraries, banks, temples etc). Democracy and the court house is strong.

Greek Strategy

I have come to the conclusion that the greeks are open to more possibilities than your typical minimal city turtle-teching. Now before we go into the strategy lets go over their benefits.

Starting: Begin with a courthouse
- Courthouse is a very strong building early. Especially the way I use it. Your typical workhorse capital now becomes a massive flourishing growth/sci/gold/prod city, due to the fact that your open to 20 tiles. This will also benefit you because no one can flip your city and your free wall will go into this great city.
-Plus its a save of 80 hammers.

Ancient: Knowledge of Democracy
- Amazing to have in Ancient times. A free 120 beaker tech.
-Gives you Pikemen which will protect you from rushers and most attacks until cannons and tanks are out. The reason why I say this is because pikemen will protect you from your ancient and midevil units. But your guarenteed to be safe if you have Catapults to skirmish.
-50% increase in your gold and science production. Very strong teching advantage also will give you a gold advantage.
- Your open to the Magna Carta Wonder. Perfect, Build it and your free courthouse will produce more culture.

Medieval: More Great People
-More Great people can be a game winner especially when youll be powerful in Gold which will lead to rush buying of temples. This will expand certain strengths of your civilization wether it be a free wonder or +1 to pop.
Industrial: Half cost library
-Time to Library Spam all your cities.

Modern: +1 food from sea tiles
-You would think this comes late BUT with the tech rate the Greeks can maintain. This kicks in alot sooner than youd think.

Strategy
Realize that your settler now shows 20 tiles around him im guessing because its showing you what will fall under the courthouses range. So you can settle on your starting spot or move one tile just to see if resources like fish and dye pop up. Ive gotten both resources without losing my first turn. You should get a nice balance of sea/hammers/food. Your first 5 turns you will produce 2 warrriors by setting your workers on 2 Forests. Than buy a 3rd for 20(this is up to you). Now you will rush for horse back in 4 turns due to democracy. Produce horsemen with 2 forests. You should have a army of Horses from 11-16 turns in. It depends if you waiting for the free settler or simply you werent getting enough gold. Ive averaged 13-14. So 14 turns in you have 3 warriors, 1 Horsemen Army and a free settler.

3 Warriors- Used for scouting.
Horsemen Army - Taking cities and protecting your land offensively.
Free Settler - Use to make a science city.

Have your 2 cities build one Hop each or rush them if you can afford it. Grow both to pop 3 and tech. Tech what you think you will get first. Walls, Irrigation etc.

At the same time>>>>>>>>

Go conquer your neighbors. When you finish off that AI switch back to Democracy. Your usually gaurnteed one ai cap(never had a problem getting one). 2 ai is possible 3 can happen but I dont try for a 3rd. Remeber when your going to attack you need to come out of democracy.

Any and All Ai caps will be used to make Hops and Settlers. Thats the differnce between this strat and other strats. Your expanding agressivly with your horsemen army and your Hops. Also this strat is allowing you to go from 3-4 cities to 7-12 cities.
Once you have your early Ai caps and the possible side cities Turn Athens into a pure growth city. While all the other cities do your teching and expanding. Athens will be big and produce. This is where your wonders and needed units will come from.

Tech Path (pretty much what morte followed)
Pottery
Masonry
Alphabet
Irrigation
Writing
Literacy
Mathematics
Navigation
Monarchy
Engeenering
Invention
Steam
Railroads
University
Metallurgy
Combustion

-Very important to remember that you need to fit currency and republic to do a nice desert gold city. If no good Desert city than just currency for a nice gold coastal or island city. Currency is a big must because this will allow you to have a gold city before anyone. A early Gold city will start to compound and grow to a big advantage.

intresting read. :)

I've tried Greek horserushing online, and it seems the main advantage you have doing it against human players is the element of surprise. Not many players expect to see Greek horses. It's won a few games for me, but I wouldn't do it everytime. Against the AI it'll be effective, horserushing the AI with any civ will usually do the trick.

The only advantage the Greeks have over any other civ in the game for horserushing is the 1 turn you save while researching Horseback Riding. This turn is lost later after you switch out of democracy, but that doesn't really matter if you've got the horses at their cap and you're able to take it.

It's nice to play outside the box and catch others off guard, but it's still a costly risk. If those horsmen are killed, then you've just spent 60 hammers or 120 gold or any combo of those and got nothing to show for it. But that's the risk/reward of horserushing. The Greeks have good enough defense and a powerful enough capital to regroup.

Most games I'd rather grow fast in Athens, spam some settlers from there, hammer out a library in my cap, and tech up. It's fun to be aggressive with them out of the blue though.

I will add it in the Strategy Archive, good strategy, I never wanted to take the risk of an horsemen rush. I still remember when others tried it but failed more times, but maybe now that I won't care so much about points, I will try everything, and I would like also to play you.. Did your game freeze yesterday?

I will add it in the Strategy Archive, good strategy, I never wanted to take the risk of an horsemen rush. I still remember when others tried it but failed more times, but maybe now that I won't care so much about points, I will try everything, and I would like also to play you.. Did your game freeze yesterday?

No I was playing studiedgiant. I know he always plays zulu so I beat him with mine. You werent around when I asked you to play.

The Horserush is very useful with the Greeks because not only are you a defensive teching powerhouse. You now have the ability to go on the offensive. Ive stoped other peoples horse rush like this which can be a big hit to America, Aztec or Arab.

I tried this method and didn't get the Greek achievement.

are you not winning the game? or are you saying that you didn't get the acheivement eventhough you won?

if you're having trouble with the greeks, a horserush might work. But they don't need to horserush at all. Just defend and grow in athens, expand to about 7-10 cities, and you should have no problem beating the AI.

Top Bottom