Inca and Aztec contact?

steveedster

Chieftain
Hi I''m new here :)

Just wondering, something I have always wondered, was there any trade or contact between these two empires before or during the spanish conquests?

Any of you knowledgeable people know?

No, never

Both inca and maya influence ended near panama, the reason for that is that they could only walk/run for transportation, for that kind of trade you need horses/donkeys/ etc, which they didnt have, or big ships , which they never invented.

hmmm interesting, given the size of the Incan Empire over difficult terrain would it not be possible for trade to have taken place though? Sort of like a silk route of the americas?

Also were the Aztecs in contact with the Mayan city states?

brachy-pride said:
Both inca and maya influence ended near panama, the reason for that is that they could only walk/run for transportation, for that kind of trade you need horses/donkeys/ etc, which they didnt have, or big ships , which they never invented.

When Teotihuacan ruled the Mexico valley @ 1st-5th centuries AD their trade was wide spread--pottery found as far north as the Pacific northwest and as south as Belize. Acourse they were a trading empire not a military one like the Aztecs or Inca's, but if there's a will, there's a way.

Inca and Aztecs never had any direct contact (they probably never knew of each other in the first place). Aztec influence ends near Honduras and Incan influence in Colombia. But Aztecs were in contact with the Mayan city states eg Tulum, Tayasal, Mayapan. They traded by land as well as by sea.

I'm pretty sure, given a few hundred years, they could have made contact (be it the remnants of the Aztecs, or the Tarascans). The Tarascans were actually from South America, and pushed north by the Incas based on something I read once.

I wonder who was in the Costa Rica/Panama region though. I've seen sites that show there was a high population at the time, but no civilization.

pawpaw said:
their trade was wide spread--pottery found as far north as the Pacific northwest and as south as Belize.

Pottery is pottery. How do we know it was Aztec pottery?

puglover said:
Pottery is pottery. How do we know it was Aztec pottery?
Didn't say it was Aztec, and every culture has their own unique style

brachy-pride said:

The Incans did have Llamas.

but you cant ride a llama, they cant carry much weight, they had no good beast of burden.

I wodner if the buffalos of the american midwest can be tamed, anybody knows?

brachy-pride said:
but you cant ride a llama, they cant carry much weight, they had no good beast of burden.

Sopme quicky research --Llamas are related to camels and can carry up to 100lbs--hence a beast of burden.

Yes, but brachy-pride talked about a good beast of burden. Heck, that's hardly better than a human, and a grumpy human won't spit half-digested food in your face.

In North America at least (talking about the present here), llamas generally aren't used as pack animals but as guard animals, since they are good at chasing away wolves and coyotes. Just put a couple in with your sheep and you're all set.

mrtn said:
Yes, but brachy-pride talked about a good beast of burden. Heck, that's hardly better than a human, and a grumpy human won't spit half-digested food in your face.

The Spanish used them to haul ore from the mines due to the shortage of horses

dude, I am bolivian, I know llamas

And a llama dont compare to a donkey or an ass, llamas can carry, say, 50 kilos, not more

brachy-pride said:
dude, I am bolivian, I know llamas

And a llama dont compare to a donkey or an ass, llamas can carry, say, 50 kilos, not more

I said up to 100lbs--is 50 kilos not 110 lbs? And no doubt an ass or burrio could carry much more.

Top Bottom