What happens when you become dominant?

aluelkdf

Prince
I have enough tourism that I became dominant over another civ. When I look at the trend in the right hand column of the "influence by player" screen (inside culture overview), the trend is showing blank. All the other civs show the trend.

So what happens when your tourism dominates another civ? Do you stay dominant forever, or can you lose influence?

And what do yiu do with the civ when you become dominant? Do you get any sort of benefit, would it hurt you to invade and kill that civ once you've become dominant? Or is it better to leave that civ alone?

Dominate tourism is needed for culture victory. Once you have reached dominate on all Civs you will win if you have culture victory enabled.(Edit: It's apperantly only influential as Godswood pointed out)

Besides that, the benefit of being dominant in another civ is that if they have another ideoligy than you their people will be more likely to revolt against it(depending on which ideoligy was picked first, which ideoligy does other civs have and which ideoligy was picked as world ideoligy). When a civ's citizens revolt they will increase unhappines and if it is bad enough, some of their cities may flip(become yours, essentially for free).

Edit: Ideology*

I have enough tourism that I became dominant over another civ. When I look at the trend in the right hand column of the "influence by player" screen (inside culture overview), the trend is showing blank. All the other civs show the trend.

So what happens when your tourism dominates another civ? Do you stay dominant forever, or can you lose influence?

And what do yiu do with the civ when you become dominant? Do you get any sort of benefit, would it hurt you to invade and kill that civ once you've become dominant? Or is it better to leave that civ alone?

All levels of cultural pressure are permanent. Once you've reached a threshold (such as influential or dominant), there is no way for the other civilization to reduce your influence short of wiping you out completely. The reason why your trend goes blank at dominant is because there's literally nowhere else to go. You're done with them.

As to what cultural dominance does, it increases ideological pressure once you get into the industral era and beyond. If you've reached full cultural dominance over another civilization and they choose an ideology different from your own, all of that influence is going to slap them with a full-on revolutionary wave penalty within a few turns.

Dominate tourism is needed for culture victory. Once you have reached dominate on all Civs you will win if you have culture victory enabled.

Besides that, the benefit of being dominant in another civ is that if they have another ideoligy than you their people will be more likely to revolt against it(depending on which ideoligy was picked first, which ideoligy does other civs have and which ideoligy was picked as world ideoligy). When a civ's citizens revolt they will increase unhappines and if it is bad enough, some of their cities may flip(become yours, essentially for free).

Edit: Ideology*

You need to be influential with all civilizations, not dominant.

Influential is needed for a cultural victory. That is just overtaking their culture output with your tourism. There's still a possibility that they can produce more culture than your tourism.

Dominant, on the other hand, is when it is impossible for them to come back.

All levels of cultural pressure are permanent. Once you've reached a threshold (such as influential or dominant), there is no way for the other civilization to reduce your influence short of wiping you out completely.

At times, I saw some civs where my influence was falling. So if I reach a certain point like influential, then it can never drop below influential even if influence falls?

dominant is the highest level. each time you "level up" against a civ of another ideology, their happiness drops more. so it can do something at least.

Top Bottom