Different Coastlines on Pangea

BadHorsie

Prince
Can someone explain to me the difference between the coastline types on a Pangea map? I don't notice any difference.

From Sirian`s Map Info Reference:

Pangaea
SHORELINE - This setting chooses the level of "natural" terrain effects.
"Random" - DEFAULT - 40% chance of "Natural", 30% "Pressed", 30% "Solid".
"Natural" - Creates a solid core, then adds four to seven "subcontinental" regions which can vary in shape and size, or even be a small island chain. These often reach out in to the sea, forming snaky peninsulas or occupying a "corner" of the main continent with a fat, unpredictable protrusion.
"Pressed" - Creates a solid core, then adds two to four "larger" subcontinents. This setting also shifts more to the north or south, at random.
"Solid" - Nothing but the solid core, larger and with smoother shorelines.

It hasn't been updated. The thread has had a number of people ask for an update, but I'm guessing that it's off Sirian's watchlist or he's busy with Warlords work.

In any case, nothing really switched around, but 2 new scripts were added in 1.61.

Edit: here's the thread about it:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134226

Sirian gave this information about the shuffle and fractal maps which were added in a post at Realms Beyond:

Sirian said:
I wrote the Shuffle map. It's there to fill the gap left by the lack of "Civ3-style Random" option. Will give you a pangaea, continents, or archipelago, at random -- something that was requested by numerous players. Very simple.

Continents was split in to two scripts. The one still called Continents got more controls added to regulate the size and shape of landmasses, while Fractal has all controls removed. This is Soren's script, the only one he kept control over. I haven't checked it, so while I know what he changed, I don't know the full range of impact yet.

- Sirian

Top Bottom