Which painters do you like?

That's just a textbook definition. Personally I like to look at photographs and paintings the same way.
That's fine, but they aren't both paintings. Like what you like, but words have definitions. Painting is a medium using paint. Photos are a medium using light, etc.
They are both art.

The second part is solid, but what characteristic/s unify the substances you listed?
Seems too arbitrary.
It is simple. Painting is a medium...
There is nothing arbitrary about it. It's the definition of the term.

No one is saying pixels can't make art.

But, painting isn't computer graphics at the same time... So, please stop littering this thread with this stuff.

If you guys want to argue about what is painting and what isn't, please, do it elsewhere... though the dictionary really has already sorted out that issue for you.

Yeah, the argument was already over. Way to disregard your own advice.

Anyway, I've always been fond of this painting. No idea why.

Glad to hear it ICBM...

This painting has a special meaning in my life, and many special meanings overall...
Love it.
"Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at 18 Metres becomes Abraham Lincoln"
Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Moved to A&E. Hasn't been merged yet, so arts threads still belong here. In any case, the Chamber isn't designed for spam OPs.

Caspar David Friedrich

For some reason I like this one. I'm very glad I'm not wherever that is.

@Kyriakos: Don't you ever like anything cheerful? :(

There are certain paintings done by members of the Group of Seven that I like.

I love Larry Elmore and Michael Whelan paintings.

But my favorite painter by far is my own grandmother. My dad comes at #2. :love:

I believe the Pollock is permanently on display in the Australian national gallery and was purchased at a then record price for an Australian gallery .

Kyriakos , I love the paintings in the OP . Spectacular . In fact there are some fantastic paintings in this thread . You guys have great taste as is to be expected

well, i can see where this is going... it will be perfect if he can add a few more dots... :mischief:

There is a famous story about Salvador Dali taking a small piece of Scotland Forever! by Elizabeth Butler and blowing it up to immense size, to reinforce the idea that modern artists were more "honest" than 19th century realists. It didn't look too much different from a Pollock painting.

Not pixels, is a good start.

I really don't think I need to define what paint is... as you can go into stores and see it pretty easily displayed...

I think Kochman is getting at the idea of texture. Paint is not just color (e.g. pixelation), but the medium that it's painted on, the brushstrokes, and the carrying agent of the pigment.

I don't really have favorites, but I recommend a trip to the National Portrait Gallery for some looks. A bit too many of Christ in my opinion, but there's a lot of good stuff there.

I also like Don Troiani (modern painter who recreates American military history in paintings):

Top Bottom