ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

I would like to expand as much as we can naturally before taking out AI targets.

I agree with REX for now. REX has the best land/cost ratio there is - which is why I keep suggesting that rice/pig site up north. Seal off land = REX, and that's what it would mean. Prince maintenance has to be a joke.

By the time we are done backfilling we should hit construction / HBR (yeah we need that for phants) so we can go cracking some AI heads.

Protect and Survive

The people of the protosoviet republic of Notreallyrussia said "what about the workers". The slavers went to work (T61 Moscow swop to worker, T64 double whip worker).

The people of the suburbs said "what about some culture", after the first age of Aquarius mysticism abounded (swop research to mysticism, discovered T67). Rocks were carved ornamentally, thousands perished (monument whipped T69).

People everywhere said "we demand protection" and yeomen bowmen (and women of course) were formed (archers built in Moscow T70, T75).

Our intrepid northern explorers became trepid and headed south. Warrior kills bear. Bear kills warrior. What's this? The man hasn't got a shirt? How barbaric!

Workers became roadies and headed (very) slowly northwest.

When there's something strange in the neighborhood...

Who ya gonna call?
Fog Busters.

Mummy there's a funny man in the garden.

And we're slowly learning to count.

The muscovites reckon its time to put aside the fruits of bounteous harvests to protect against years of famine (start granary in Moscow, no hammers invested).

A Save? We're already beyond salvation!

great write-up. lmao at the fog-busters!

pholkhero >> on deck
ozbenno
LKendter
rolo
pigswill >> just played
mystyfly >> UP NOW

as long as we settle the next few cities asap, i'm not sure the order will make a whole lot of difference.

Nice report indeed!

Got it and would like to play tomorrow (sunday) as my exam phase starts next week (and lasts 3) so it'd be nice to get some sort of consensus by then.

Our research rate sucks big time. Also, moscov is 1 pop away from :)-cap so granary doesn't make much sense unless we plan to do lots of whipping. I see the library already has 7 hammers invested, I'd like to finish that then start running specs to get that first GS out.

Those workers, or at least one of them, should definitely be improving those magnificent resources. St. Pete still has not developed, still at pop 1 etc, that's why. As to builds in st. pete, finishing that archer surely is a good idea, then a granary would make sense as this city still has a lot to grow.

If we're looking at settler spam then we probably are looking at quite a bit of whipping. If we're looking at more workers then we're looking at even more whipping.

Only tile at St Pete that's worth improving atm is corn, given that we've got barbs crossing borders already then workers need protection so need a second archer at St Pete. Road will add a magnificent +2C of course and will enable Moscow to use copper as soon as it mined.

edit: standard early game dilemma: expansion or research. We can't do both at the moment. With raging barbs/always war we have unit building as a third priority so deciding on the optimum balance is a challenge (and I suspect everyone will have different priorities).

I want enough expansion to get some interior cities where we don't have to worry about barbs.

I want enough expansion to get some interior cities where we don't have to worry about barbs.
This ;) Ideally we would get everything south of E city and east of the western small sea ( that makes a magnificent water border ) before going stomping around ...

OFC that isn't for now, but I'm more than happy to forestall research for a good handful of cities

Problem with city spam is that we don't have many good sites (with decent food) available... And I don't really get why we start on library AND granary in moscov if we want settlers. OTOH st pete is way closer to where we might want to settle (land grab) so building units there and in other new cities isn't that bad, while having moscov dedicated to keeping tech rate alive (barely, at least).

why not use the whip to settle those 3-4 cities on our dotmap? not exactly settler spam, but maybe settler turkey breast...could put hammers into the library from whip overflow to keep it from fading...settle G for cottages, fish for small prod and then maybe a science village, and up north for a GPfarm...

we just need the units to defend it...dont we get double prod of settlers?? eh, its workers

So G as next city? That's ok. If we go for settler turkey breast, building granary while regrowing is way better. Hammers in buildings don't decay that fast.

We need to decide exactly what "G" is as I recall mine NOT liked due to three lake tiles, but I have no arguments with that next. It is a nice site between FP and the cow. That is a good cottage spam city.

I like G as next city, unless people are pressing for horses again ( then D ). That said, if we really want to avoid the 3 coastal ( not lake :( ) tiles of G, 1 NE is also decent.

Once G is settled then a city in south east corner becomes pretty safe (?fogbuster sw of Moscow). At pop 5 it can work rice, 2 grass cottages and run a couple of scientists once its built/chopt library.

I'm not sure how much we need to worry about how cities will look at pop 20 as I suspect the game will be settled long before then (one way or another).

I'm sorry guys I won't get time to play this week. I'd like to be skipped this round.

pholkhero >> UP NOW
ozbenno >> on deck
LKendter
rolo
pigswill >> just played
mystyfly >> skipped

got it and on it. G it is. iirc, i moved G on spot to lost the lake tiles and gain an FP but i'll see what's what.

:bump:

Top Bottom