World War X

damocles88

Chieftain
Play an all-out wargame. All enemy civs will be war and expansion crazy, and armies are faster to build, cheaper to maintain, and more fun to fight. Enemy AI tweaked to build more military units, favouring ranged, mobile, and some melee.

Changes:
-Military units are cheaper to build/buy
-AI civs are war crazy. They will expand, grow, and conquer like it's going out of fashion. And they don't really like you or each other very much.
-Luxury resources are more common, and provide a little more happiness
-Gold is a little easier to come by (trade routes give more gold, trading posts give more gold, pillaging improvements yields more gold)
-Unhappiness from population reduced to allow for large armies and faster conquests
-Unit maintenance costs are less (with the extra hppiness, this allows you and the AIs to field large armies and conquest without much penalty)
-The AIs don't mind if you're a warmonger (they hate everyone equally)
-The AIs are super competitive - if they even suspect you of taking the lead they'll gang up on you
-The AI has been tweaked to build large armies and use them
-Cities are a little stronger and do a little more damage. No more taking a city with 3 classical era units - you need an army now.
-Garrisoned units heal at 4 HP per turn instead of 3

This is not a mod for all you sissy culture-lovers :)

NOTES:
-not really suitable for quick pace games
-low spec machines may struggle when drawing so many units

The Future:
-I hope to add defensive and offensive buildings to cities (for example, cannon towers that would boost city range to 3, or ramparts that would boost city damage)
-will likely need more balancing and minor tweaks

Download from the hub

Where does one go to tweak the unit maintenance? That's my biggest gripe right now. I have the SDK, but no idea where to start on tweaking it myself.

There are a couple of rows under the Defines table. In this World War X mod, I only changed the row "UNIT_MAINTENANCE_GAME_MULTIPLIER". I lowered this number to give smaller maintenance as the size of the army grows. I couldn't really figure out what the other rows were meant to do as the names were rather vague, and the maintenance system is tricky to test accurately.

There are a couple of rows under the Defines table. In this World War X mod, I only changed the row "UNIT_MAINTENANCE_GAME_MULTIPLIER". I lowered this number to give smaller maintenance as the size of the army grows. I couldn't really figure out what the other rows were meant to do as the names were rather vague, and the maintenance system is tricky to test accurately.

You test that multiplier in the late game? Someone released a mod where he set the multiplier to 1 and the divisor to 1 aswell. That gave insanely high maintence cost in the modern era. I've played around with a lot of settings, and found that multiplier = 5 and divisor = 10 gives a nice curve. So maintenance isn't 'halfed' in the early game, it just increases less slowly. In the middle of the modern era its roughly 1/2 of vanilla.

The way it is in this mod is the divisor is untouched and the multiplier is set to 2. I find this gives cheaper units in the early eras, but quite expensive units in the modern era (which makes sense, as modern warfare is about smaller groups of concentrated firepower, but medieval warfare was about throwing thousands of peasants at the enemy). Plus the main offset for unit maintenance in this mod is the minor improvements to gold income (such as 3 gold from trading posts, 1 more gold from trade routes, etc). I wasn't trying for a mod where you just get unlimited money and a giant army, but one where you can afford to build and maintain a much larger army, but still have to actually manage your empire to avoid crippling yourself.

As I said in the OP, there'll likely be some balance tweaks before the final version. This is only the alpha version. So if more people give feedback, I can work on that.

looks like fun. more expensive modern units makes sense, I find I'm spending 10-15 turns building most early units and more like 7-8 from a highly developed city in the later stages of the game. of course, that makes building companion cavalry in 6 turns for alexander right now way OP'd imho. persia and france are toast, the injuns and their mohawx are next!

Is there any way i could get this mod without the change to civs? I know some of the civs just get pushed around and this mod makes that not so but it makes the more aggressive civs seem even MORE aggressive. It also seems to make ALL civs not ever want to negotiate peace when i ask and the only way to resolve a war is to fight to the death or wait for the VERY off chance that hey offer peace to me.

Any help much appreciated!!

That's kind of the point of the mod. It's an all out war mod with larger forces. If all you want are the cheaper units/easier happiness, there are many mods out there that do just that without any civ changes.

If you want to get peace with a civ in this mod, you have to outclass them. They are set to pounce on any sign of weakness. They are also set to high competitiveness, so if you start to take the lead they'll wage war until you're not a threat or until they cannot hope to defeat you.

I have two questions.
Where can I download it? I can't find it anywhere.
@damocles88 What mods do you reccomend if you just want to have cheaper units who are faster build? (armies dont take ages to be build...)

You can download it through the in-game civ5 mod hub. You'll probably have to use the search box - there are so many mods out now that anything more than a week old gets buried.

As for other mods, sorry I can't remember their names off the top of my head. I don't use them myself, but I have seen them in the hub. They'll be under the game rules section.

Thanks, I didnt know there was an in-game mod hub. New to this game. I really appreciate the fast reaction also.

yeah I understood the point of it but it seems that sometimes it would be wiser for them to accept peace and they just refuse... Great mod, don't take me wrong, I'm just looking for one that specializes in cheap armies :)

I found this in a google search.
Where can i get this mod?
I don't see it listed among downloads here.

This mod doesn't seem to be avaliable on Steam Workshop, which appears to have replaced the in-game mod db?

Is there at least a way to access the old in-game mod database rather than Steam Workshop?

Is it true that if the modder removes his mod from steam workshop, steam will delete the mod from your computer?

Top Bottom