News: TSG76 Holiday Bonus Game Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 76
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Seventy-sixth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Open. All VCs are enabled and the results will be published by fastest turn to any victory type.

In this game you will play as Arabia and lead the Arabian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized Pangea map played at Deity difficulty and at standard pace. All VCs are eligible for this game. You will have until January 20th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG76 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Harun al-Rashid - Arabia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Pangea
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Standard
Game options: There are no ruins in this game. Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. NO DLC are required for this game but the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Harun al-Rashid, you possess Ships of the desert. Caravans gain 50% extended range. Your trade routes spread the home city's religion twice as effectively. Oil resources are doubled.

You can train the Camel Archer, a fast Medieval ranged unit that are weak to Pikemen. Only the Arabians may build it. It is a ranged unit, unlike the Knight which it replaces.

You can also build the Bazaar, a unique building replacing the Market. It provides 1 extra copy of each improved luxury resource near this City. Each source of Oil and each Oasis provides +2 gold. Trade routes other players make to a city with a Bazaar will generate an extra 1 gold for the city owner and the trade route owner gains an additional 1 gold for the trade route.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Monday, 20 January 2014.

The Save can be found here.

As if holiday tensions weren't enough we decided to provide another DEITY game for you gluttons for punishment, hehe. Arabia has some new unique qualities so they are worth exploring again PLUS the VC is open to choose and we've included the map type so you can pre-suppose your options and gameplan.

If you need to be angry at something other than your family, place those aggravations here! :)

Have a happy holiday,

the GotM staff

Not a good choice for a holiday bonus game. 90% of your players can't / won't play at Deity level. Essentially, what you've done is given a holiday bonus to 10% of your players. Think in broader terms when you make your game decisions.

BTW, I consider myself a pretty good player at Immortal, but Deity for me has been a bridge too far.

Not a good choice for a holiday bonus game. 90% of your players can't / won't play at Deity level. Essentially, what you've done is given a holiday bonus to 10% of your players. Think in broader terms when you make your game decisions.

BTW, I consider myself a pretty good player at Immortal, but Deity for me has been a bridge too far.

Just try it. See how far you can get.

The concept of GOTM is to learn, not just to win.

How can you learn how to play at higher difficulties if you decide you cannot? By playing this game, you can compare your strategies to others and, perhaps, find ways to improve your game. What better Christmas bonus could one ask for?

I do plan to try the GOTM. At Immortal, I am probably in better shape than most non Deity players to take a shot at a Deity game. What about the Prince, King, Emperor players -- which if I were to hazard a guess, comprise the vast majority of your players -- who are mostly unable to take a good shot at this one. As a "bonus" game for the holidays, I think you should have put it at a more universal level. I am not referring to every GOTM just one you are making a "bonus."

I do plan to try the GOTM. At Immortal, I am probably in better shape than most non Deity players to take a shot at a Deity game. What about the Prince, King, Emperor players -- which if I were to hazard a guess, comprise the vast majority of your players -- who are mostly unable to take a good shot at this one. As a "bonus" game for the holidays, I think you should have put it at a more universal level. I am not referring to every GOTM just one you are making a "bonus."

They can enjoy the standard game on offer for the month :p

I enjoyed the bonus. Cried? Yeah. But enjoyed it.

Settling on the gems eventually loses you 1 hammer while gaining you 1 food (vs. founding the city on a plains tile), but there is also opportunity cost associated with how long it takes to get the extra hammer, plus the lost gold yield until you can work the gems tile.

If you settle in place (riverside plains tile), the city itself will yield 2 food and 1 hammer (excluding 3 gold from the palace, which you get wherever you settle, so let's eliminate that from the comparison). Once you improve the gems tile, the gems tile will yield 3 hammers and 3 gold. Total 2-tile yield is 2 food, 4 hammers and 3 gold -- after you have a worker to improve the gems.

If you settle on the gems hill, you get 2 food, 2 hammers and 3 gold (i.e., the base yield of the tile plus 2 food from the city founding--and, again, excluding palace gold). If, after you have a worker, you farm a nearby riverside plains tile, total 2-tile yield is 4 food, 3 hammers and 3 gold. (Note, that is pre-Civil Service; post-Civil Service, you get 1 more food from that farmed tile.)

If you settle on the gems hill, you get 2 food, 2 hammers and 3 gold (i.e., the base yield of the tile plus 2 food from the city founding--and, again, excluding palace gold). If, after you have a worker, you farm a nearby riverside plains tile, total 2-tile yield is 4 food, 3 hammers and 3 gold. (Note, that is pre-Civil Service; post-Civil Service, you get 1 more food from that farmed tile.)
. Thanks, a most useful comparison. I instinctively usually go for the extra hammer(s) in the early stages. Getting a couple of early scouts out there invariably pays dividends.

On this map, with plains and desert everywhere, settling on the gems hill is obviously superior, to my eyes. One extra early hammer means 2 scouts before pottery is researched (even without ruins, still useful), and 3 more gpt long before researching mining, for an early archer or two.

and for smaller consideration, settling on the gems tile means it wont ever be pillaged so the happiness is there to stay once mining is teched. and a citizen will always work it so there is no micromanaging that tile for things like switching out citizens to speed up growth or maximize carryover, etc.

Yep. You can focus all your micro efforts on switching between flatland plains tiles :).

It seems that the holiday games are deity level to compensate for the relative scarcity of deity games throughout the year. And a part of holiday tradition at CFC now ;)

Try playing it to win, not just survive, I find that the mindset makes a difference in deity games. And having a nice powerful Civ like Arabs will help as well.

Usually I do not like Deity because I have the feeling that I can not use all the options
Civ offers (Wonders, Military, Settling...one time it feels like Emperor and another time you feel lost on turn 20). I play on a permanent level of frustration and that is sth. I do not like in games although I appreciate challenges. :sad:
Will there be a chance to build Petra? :confused: In my test-game I had a very nice science-boost by friendly caravans but was still 15 turns to late :crazyeye:

Top Bottom