Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

dunno if this question has been asked but I don't have time to read through walls of text but only my food shows up on tiles when I make a settler or in city view any help?

It's a bug (I have it too). Very annoying. But (in case you don't know), if you hover the mouse over tiles it will give you the possible production in the bottom left corner.

HI, sorry if this is asked/answered somwhere else, but i don't know what to search for.

Im wondering about the symbols next to your name.
Whenever i play the computer always gets a lot of symbols next to thier name in the info screen (bottom right). I always get a religous symbol next to my name, but thats it. The computer always gets like 2 or more, what are these symbols? and how do i get them to appear next to my name?
I hope u know what symbols im talking about, one looks like 3 yellow arrows that forms a triangle.

Is there any kind of palace view or throne room, or anything that you can upgrade from time to time when your people is happy enough?

I brought civ 4 today and I cant seem to see terrain. It is covered in black e.g the black smog from civ 3 and all I can see is a faint outline of trees and i can see ym city's and my units...

Hellsing said:
HI, sorry if this is asked/answered somwhere else, but i don't know what to search for.

Im wondering about the symbols next to your name.
Whenever i play the computer always gets a lot of symbols next to thier name in the info screen (bottom right). I always get a religous symbol next to my name, but thats it. The computer always gets like 2 or more, what are these symbols? and how do i get them to appear next to my name?
I hope u know what symbols im talking about, one looks like 3 yellow arrows that forms a triangle.

I am Spankworth. The religious symbol next to my name shows that Judaism is my state religion. Since it has a star next to it, that means I also founded this religion. Same goes for Mansa Musa and Asoka with Hinduism + Buddhism respectively. The other AI all use Judaism as their state religion, but did not found it, hence the lack of star.

The 3 little arrows indicate that I am connected to these civs for trading, meaning I can trade resources with them, and I get some little revenue thingies in my cities (which I don't really understand).

The little scroll thing shows that I have an open borders agreement with that civ.

Obviously the reasons you don't get the latter 2 symbols are because you can't trade with yourself, and you can't have an open borders agreement with yourself.

Brancaleone said:
Is there any kind of palace view or throne room, or anything that you can upgrade from time to time when your people is happy enough?

Nope.

I have no idea how to help you Kalamity, sorry.

I am newbie but i have a problem I have achol 120 my Game on to my hard drive and use demon to run it but as i start up the game it asks for the cd how can i get around this :mad:

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable random seed in Civ IV? I often used this along with save/reload as a learning tool with Civ 3. Can this still be done?
JSY

Birdjaguar said:
I am running a 1.2 MHz athalon on XP pro with 512 MB of ram I have a Xtasy 9550 (ATI Raedon 9550 seconday??). The game has run just fine up through the middle ages. I have not gone past that period yet.
i've got a little questiong i've got a veleron 2.8ghz and 512 mb ram and a fx5200 gforge 128ram but civ IV wont work good. I just can run it smootly on grafic low and al other option unabled.
anyone how knows advis?

i am the lizard king
i can do anything

the lizard king said:
i've got a little questiong i've got a veleron 2.8ghz and 512 mb ram and a fx5200 gforge 128ram but civ IV wont work good. I just can run it smootly on grafic low and al other option unabled.
anyone how knows advis?

i am the lizard king
i can do anything
The only advice I can give is to get a better pc. Your processor isn't meant for particularly tasking games, you could do with another 512 mb of ram, and your gfx card could be a lot better.

the lizard king said:
anyone how knows advis?

i am the lizard king
i can do anything

Go Into your Direct X Diagnostic program and disable the sound accelerator. It helped me run the game all the way to finish with only a few crashes if I complete a wonder. If I avoid them and don't play large/huge maps I have only a few graphics bugs.

Hope this helps

Here's what I've done:

1 - quit the game

2 - Opened the c4 .ini file and changed fullscreen option to 0

3 - Loaded the game - no windowed mode

4 - Opened the .ini file again fullscreen option is back to 1

dunno

Ok, I've built stables on my horses, I've got the techs Archery and Horseback Riding under my belt, and yet my city can't build Mounted Archers in my city. The icon is there, but greyed out. What am I missing?

Raijer said:
Ok, I've built stables on my horses, I've got the techs Archery and Horseback Riding under my belt, and yet my city can't build Mounted Archers in my city. The icon is there, but greyed out. What am I missing?

a road from the stables to one of your cities?

That I don't have, but I thought building the stable was enough - guess I was wrong. :lol:

Thanks.

plarq said:
How do you pause and resume games? I switched to my desktop and then switch back, the game paused and I couldn't find a resume button. Anyone can? Thx.

The pause key is what you're looking for. The one labeled Pause Break, normally is next to Scroll Lock and above Page Up.

Raijer said:
That I don't have, but I thought building the stable was enough - guess I was wrong. :lol:

Thanks.

No road should be enough to get the horses into that city but not to the other cities. A city will have a resource if it's worked and within the "city radius cross" (equivalent to the cultural borders after the 1st expansion).

There's no need to build a road if there's a river going from that resource to the city.

I live in Holland and the game comes with a Dutch manual overhere.
It also describes the name of the units, buildings etc. in Dutch.
If I start the game and choose languages in the option screen I cannot find Dutch :( What is the use of writing a Dutch manual if you have to translate units etc. back in English?? Maybe somewhere there is a download for Civilization in Dutch?? If so, please tell me, thanks :)

Top Bottom