Great Generals of History needed!

Abaddon

Deity
Please can you tell me generals names who were espeically good with any of the below:

Spearmen (done) Leonidas of Sparta
Swordmen (done) Flavius Belisarius
Archers (done) Sitting Bull
Horsemen (done) Atilla the Hun
Chariots (done) muwatalli
Catapults (done) Demetrios Poliiorketes

im looking for one general for each unit.

yea, just what i was thinking.

thankyou, could you please tell me about him though (needed for civolopedia)

I did not write this in the form of a Civpedia entry but hopefully it will help:

Demetrios Poliorketes (337-283 BCE) was the son of Antigonos I Monophthalmos (The One-Eyed), the general Alexander left to govern the old Persian satrapy of Phrygia when he marched east to defeat Darius.

Antigonos was one of the Diadochi, or Successors of Alexander, the generals who fought for control of his empire. Demetrios served his father in these wars, and earned his name, which means "The Besieger" when sent with a large fleet to conquer the island of Rhodes in 307 BCE. He besieged the city by land and by sea. This siege has remained famous in military history for the great number of siege engines used, including the Helepolis, a massive siege tower built by Epimachos of Athens, and catapults which were capable of hurling rocks weighing 80 kg a distance of 150 metres. The people of Rhodes defended their city with great courage and determination, and with the help of Ptolemy of Egypt. In the end Demetrios raised the siege and presented them with the siege engines. He engineering efforts are cited by Vitruvius, Eusebius, Plutarch and Diodorus. It was the victory of Rhodes over Demetrios that led to the construction of the famous Colossus.

After the defeat of Antigonos at Ipsos, Demetrios had many adventures, fighting in Greece, Macedon and in Asia, proving himself one of the great generals of his age. He was finally defeated by Seleukos when he invaded Syria in an attempt to rally veterans of his father's armies to his cause, and lived out his life a captive, finally drinking himself to death.

Demetrios' son, Antigonos Gonatas, went on to become king of Macedon and the Antigonid dynasty was one of the three to survive the Successor Wars, along with the Seleukids and Ptolemies, and who continued to rule until absorbed into the expanding Roman state.

Ramesses II or Muwatalli for chariots?

(Of course, they were not famous for using chariots especially (!!), but they were opponents in the battle of Kadesh and that is about at the prime time of chariots. (If you can define one).

and please correct me if I'm wrong, you're history geeks out there :))

mfG mitsho

muwatalli will be used.. if i can drag up pedia stuff off google.

If not, I could try to write you something little. :)

Just out of curiosity: What for do you want to use this stuff? (or is it secret?)

mitsho

You could probably pick any great roman general for swordsman, as legionaries primarily used short swords. The gauls primarily used bigger swords. So... Pompey? Scipio? Marius? Caesar? or maybe Vercingetorix, if you want Gauls?

I think Caesar was one of the first to use catapaults and other artillery to soften up enemy troops, rather than in sieges... I could be wrong though, I can't remember where I read it.

For spearman use any great greek/hellensitic general. Alexander might be the best.

I'm not sure about archers... they were used primarily in an auxiliary role until the advent of longbowmen.

mitsho said:
(or is it secret?)
mitsho
lets just say i need a civlopedia entry for him ;)

GEChallenger said:
You could probably pick any great roman general for swordsman
Yea, thats the idea, but non of these guys can have been leaders... just generals or it won't work for me :)

GEChallenger said:
You could probably pick any great roman general for swordsman, as legionaries primarily used short swords. The gauls primarily used bigger swords. So... Pompey? Scipio? Marius? Caesar? or maybe Vercingetorix, if you want Gauls?

I think Caesar was one of the first to use catapaults and other artillery to soften up enemy troops, rather than in sieges... I could be wrong though, I can't remember where I read it.

Alexander and his father, Philip, both used catapults on the battlefield when fighting against the tribes on Macedon's northern frontier. Alexander also used them as battlefield artillery in the east during his campaigns.

Flavius Belisarius for swordsmen. He was the general of several expeditions sent by Emperor Justin I to the west to try to resurrect the western Roman Empire. He also outmanuvered and defeated Persian forces in the fertile crescent repeatedly. He was probably the finest foot infantry commander in all of history.

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius

slozenger said:
Yea, thats the idea, but non of these guys can have been leaders... just generals or it won't work for me :)

Well, how about Cincinnatus then? And I'm pretty sure Atilla was a leader of his people as well as a general...

@ Hrfankal: hmm, that must be who I was thinking of. Thanks.

Still need development on:

For spearman use any great greek/hellensitic general.
I'm not sure about archers... they were used primarily in an auxiliary role until the advent of longbowmen.

Try a different approach for archers -- some cultures never developed swords...

You could use

Pontiac
Crazy Horse
Sitting Bull

for easily recognized names, or choose some lesser known leaders from the Navaho, etc.

yea! i like it, just need some guy for spearmen now. (will eventually need peeps for every unit in the game, but i am restricting myelf to anchient era for now or i will be moddin forever!

For spearman, I think King Leonidas of Sparta would be a good choice. He held the pass of Thermopylae for 3 days with 300 Spartans and about a thousand non-Spartan Greeks against 250,000 Persians.

I second Olorin, that'd be really the best choice :) And although he was a 'king', he was really more a general, as it is with Muwatalli which you've accepted also :)

mfG mitsho

Top Bottom