Normalized Score

Spirictum

Immortal
Now that I would really like to understand why: Normalized Score?

That's my attempt to remake the Roman Empire and trying to see what happens to a Byzantine who takes Rome in a fictional RFCE 2.0 scenario with these new ideas for the Papal States and Byzantine UHV.

The funnier part of it is that I won a Domination Victory passing my turn without any hope that I would achieve it soon. But the spawn of the Muscovite made that already achieved, so Victory for me. 1383 AD, rather early, I guessed I could grab lots of points just because of this earlier achievement.

So my score came like this:

And then I simply couldn't understand why. I'm pretty sure that the downfall of the Papal States doesn't have much to do with that, but if I'm wrong please tell me.
My guess is that Historical Victories give you more points then Domination, but I would like to be sure. If is there any way to see all factors that count, I would really like to know where/how.

The thing is: A massive Byzantine Empire victory of Domination earlier in date (1383AD) and bigger in score (2033 vs. 1840) was less then half the points a not so massive Byzantine Empire (really big, but not as big as a domination victorious byzantine) Historical Victory of 1453AD, ending as King score with 16104.

Why is that?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,368
  • Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 558
Compared to in game score, normalized score has other factors taken into account. Often, the biggest difference is indeed date, so that can't be it. However, While in game score depends on technology very much, normalized score likes stuff like population. From these screenshots I can't tell the exact difference but I'm fairly certain it has something to do with this.

So if population makes the difference, I'll bring in the numbers:

Massive Byzantine Demographics:

Total population sum (not demographics): 651

Previous Byzantine Historical:

I don't have an updated demographics of this previous game, but for 1416 AD (demo pop: 5231000) it seems that even with the following conquests of 4 Cordoban cities and Neapolis, and some pop growth on older cities for these remaining turns, I'm pretty sure that the pops will be more or less the same.

Total population sum (1416 AD) = 525
Add to this pops 10, 9, 7, 6 cordoban cities and 3 neapolis we get 557 pop
Add 49 pop too, imagining that I will grow pop in my old cities the number of cities I have (smaller will grow faster, bigger will grow slower or not grow at all, I think this number is a good shot). Then we will have 606 pop.

Surely in number of city pop it's impossible that I passed the domination game, in demographics maybe, as I have some bigger size cities in the previous game (my domination game ended just after the Ottoman Spawn Plague, poor byzantine core cities got struck badly).

Is there anything else that counts? Actually a victory with the Portuguese a lot later and with much less pop gave me my highest score (16342)

So maybe the Historical Victory is indeed a factor. Is there anything else not taken into account?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 491
  • Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 466
Now that I think of it, there has been a discussion long ago about the score system. I see the names are changed and I wouldn't be surprised at all if more changes were made. Probably there is some info about it in a recent changelog, surely after RC 1, probably 1.0.

Top Bottom