Prerelease Civ5 Demo Confirmed

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
A few days ago, during the live recording of Polycast 100, it was confirmed that a demo of Civilization 5 will be available sometime before the release date, September 21 (for players outside of North America, three days later).

While the details of the arrangement were not made clear, users can likely expect something similar to Civ4's demo: the ability to play 100 turns of the game as one of four civilizations, along with a limited tech tree.

So, for those of you that can't wait 49 days for the full game, keep your eye out for a demo between now and then!

Great news! :goodjob:

This way ill be able to test it out on my ageing PC to get a 'feel' for it. Im going to have to buy a new PC anyway but it would be nice to get a trial run first.

the release date, September 21 (for players outside of North America, three days later)

Three days later lmao. Did they forgot internet?

edit: Unless ofc it uses some kind of IRL authentication login system. lol
edit2: Oh crap it was game release date and not demo.

Now I have to wait impatiently for the demo as well as for the real game. I'm doing twice the waiting! Is this double torture really necessary?

I hereby throw down the gauntlet to find a way to win the game in 100 normal-speed turns. (Note, since they may disable winning in the demo, the challenge will still be valid when the full game comes out.) I'm pretty sure there have been wins that quick in Civ4, though not a lot.

Nice!

I think that this upcoming weekend would be a great moment to hit the world with the demo! (Not at all to do with me having my summer-break that following week, honest...) :king:

Excellent! :D

Now just tell me there's a killer in-store preorder bonus at Gamestop and I'm set. :crazyeye:

I hope that they release the date soon. PLEASE LET IT NOT BE SEPTEMBER 14TH! I would die :(

Very cool news. I'm sure I'll buy the release regardless but being able to get an early taste will rock.

I hope they make people use Steam to show its not all that bad

Doubt it, they'll want to suck people in without letting them know they have to run unnecessary and potentially invasive third party software. It's less about good vs bad and more about being forced to use something many people don't want or like.

Very cool news. I'm sure I'll buy the release regardless but being able to get an early taste will rock.

Doubt it, they'll want to suck people in without letting them know they have to run unnecessary and potentially invasive third party software. It's less about good vs bad and more about being forced to use something many people don't want or like.
Invasive - Nope afraid not the Steam app uses minimal resources, especially in today's standards. As for privacy you control all info Steam can acquire going as far as to email support and have certain features disabled such as tracking how long you play what if you feel that is invasive as well.

Unnecessary - No what is unnecessary is CD's and other forms of DRM. Steam is so much more reliable and less punishing than any other DRM. Break a CD? Buy a new game. HD wiped or on a new comp? D/L your game from steam with the options of all your saves even for some games.

Like and dislike are opinions above stated is fact though I will agree there are downsides especially if their server is down and you cannot login to even go into offline mode which is a bad feature as you should be able to start offline mode as a separate client. My only complaint with Steam which I was once very skeptical of but have come to enjoy. And before someone states that emailing support is too much of a hassle I would venture to say you waste more energy worrying about invasive programs then it would take to solve your issues of said invasiveness.

As for the demo, great can't wait!

One of PolyCast's return guest co-hosts asked Firaxis Games Executive Producer Barry Caudill begin_of_the_skype_highlighting:):):):):)end_of_the_skype_highlighting if there was going to be a CivV demo released before the game itself. His answer was "yes there will". I then asked in follow-up a few moments later if it would be similar to CivIV's: [X] number of turns with a selection of [X] number of civs. CivV Producer Dennis Shirk answered this as "it's gonna be basically the full game just locked down for time".

Whether this means most if not all CivV civs will be available to play during whatever the given timeframe is not clear; there was also no indication if let alone how the technology tree will be affected, as was the case with CivIV's as GA mentioned in his opening post.

wow a demo of a big game that comes before the game , i cant even remember when that happended to a game i was intrested in last.

Very nice of them.

I hope they make people use Steam

Fairly likely, I'd say. For one thing, if Steam is really integrated in the ways that they say it is, making a non-Steam version wouldn't be trivial (they could replace all calls to the SteamworksAPI with stub functions, but this might cause weird behavior in some places). For another, they probably have a contract with Steam forcing them to do this. Plus, Steam already provides a good distribution system for something like this. And seeing as they'd gain basically nothing by removing Steam from the demo...

Trust me, outside of this very small and niche community, Steam is very popular.

Top Bottom