Rallying call for Rhye's and Fall of Civilization

What is your definition of "large areas"? The Inuit conquered over 6000 kilometers of land, and still own much of it themselves.

I think the key word is centralized. Also, 6000 sq km is about the size of a tile in civ4 so It's probably a hex in civ5.

I do not think you know how big a kilometer is if you think that 6000 kilometers makes one hex tile in Civilization V.

Deanej is absolutely right, 6000 sqr kilometers can easily be the size of a tile on most maps - depending on exact map size of course. Less than 80*80 kms

Of course it's easy to guess that you wanted to talk about the territory being more than 6000 kms wide or long.
But when you say something like "conquered over 6000 kms of land", it sort of implies that you are talking about territory, not distance.

Deanej is absolutely right, 6000 sqr kilometers can easily be the size of a tile on most maps - depending on exact map size of course. Less than 80*80 kms

Of course it's easy to guess that you wanted to talk about the territory being more than 6000 kms wide or long.
But when you say something like "conquered over 6000 kms of land", it sort of implies that you are talking about territory, not distance.

I am stating history. The Inuit did conquer a straight line distance of over 6000 kilometers (From the Baring Straight to Eastern Greenland), because it was not originally their land, but completely different people had lived there.

Then most of what later became Europeans have 'conquered' half the continent during the Great Migration. Relax, Rhye would hardly go out of his way to please each 'proud small people' ;) I'd personally prefer to face rather less obscure historical opponents than the Inuits in RFC. Unless it is a dedicated 'Rise and Fall of the Icelandic Vikings' mod.

I do not think you know how big a kilometer is if you think that 6000 kilometers makes one hex tile in Civilization V.

First, I thought you meant 6000 sq. km, not 6000 km straight line distance. Area vs. a line makes a large difference.

Second, those tiles are a LOT bigger than they look. Load up civ4 with RFC and take a look at the map. The entire state of New York takes up 2-3 tiles. NY is about three times larger than 6000 sq km, so it follows that one tile is about 6000 sq km. Further, I believe that the civ4 and civ5 map sizes are comparable.

Being centralized is not really an issue for Civilization V. Polynesia and the Celts are testimony to this.
It's an issue for Rhye. He even deleted civilizations in civ4 that weren't centralized and replaced them with hostile units running around.

First, I thought you meant 6000 sq. km, not 6000 km straight line distance. Area vs. a line makes a large difference.

Second, those tiles are a LOT bigger than they look. Load up civ4 with RFC and take a look at the map. The entire state of New York takes up 2-3 tiles. NY is about three times larger than 6000 sq km, so it follows that one tile is about 6000 sq km. Further, I believe that the civ4 and civ5 map sizes are comparable.

It's an issue for Rhye. He even deleted civilizations in civ4 that weren't centralized and replaced them with hostile units running around.

The game starts in ancient times. Cities in ancient times were smaller than cities in modern times. I do see what you mean though.

Could you not play as the Celts in that scenario? If it is an issue for Rhye then there is hardly anything we can do about it since it is his scenario.

The game starts in ancient times. Cities in ancient times were smaller than cities in modern times. I do see what you mean though.

Could you not play as the Celts in that scenario? If it is an issue for Rhye then there is hardly anything we can do about it since it is his scenario.

In Civ4, the Celts were a Minor civilization (no diplomacy, can't declare war on you, you can declare war on it but you can't make peace with it).

In Civ4, Rhye represented the Native Americans with the Natives (similar to the Celts gameplaywise), so they will probably be represented similarly.

Where has RFC5 gone? It had its own subforum and now im unable to find it..?

Sorry if I just missed it somewhere

As far as I know I don't think Rhye's and Fall had a Civ 5 sub-forum, besides, until the DLL is released, the RoF will not be released since it's possible to do whatever needs to be done (which I'm presuming is the stuff that happens in Civ 4, like civilizatiosn spawning at certain turns, etc)

civ's spawning is already done using Lua, autoturn, civ's crumbling, barbarian spawning, etc...

There may be some part's that'll need the DLL (switching from one civ to another for the human player mid game, that was a part of RFC for civ4 ? if so, yep, that would require it), but the main thing that Rhyes need is free time.

Did the Inuit even build cities? I mean they may as well be represented the same way as all the native tribes. Even the Zulu didn't get a civ in in IV. Also did the Inuit really give the Europeans any trouble?

Did the Inuit even build cities? I mean they may as well be represented the same way as all the native tribes. Even the Zulu didn't get a civ in in IV. Also did the Inuit really give the Europeans any trouble?

Shaka was present in one of the EPs for Civ 4.

The reason is because Rhye intentionally distorted the continents size. Europe was intentionally enlarged to fit more "stuff" in there, while I assume the New World was shunken due to lack of that same "stuff."

If you want a more precise calculation: the Rhye's map was 124 wide x 68 high.
The circumference of the Earth is about 40,000 km at the equator, I will use that for simplicity.
Simple division, each tile is about 322.5 km wide. More complex math that takes into account the ice caps also shows us that the height is also 322.5 km.
Squaring that number shows us that each tile is approximately a whopping 104,000 square km. :lol:

Those numbers cannot be taken too literally, as Rhye made the oceans a lot narrower than real life (especially the Pacific) for somewhat obvious gameplay reasons. Compare Rhye's map to an actual world map. If we were to make the oceans, say, a 50% bigger (seems about right) we would have each tile be about 215 km wide: that seems better, about 46,000 sq km/tile.

If there is anything we can learn from this, it is that Civ maps do not translate well into RL distances :lol:

Hi guys, do you have any news about RFC for Civ V? I remember there were some troubles about the DLL's, did Firaxis release them?
Thank you!:)

Hi guys, do you have any news about RFC for Civ V? I remember there were some troubles about the DLL's, did Firaxis release them?
Thank you!:)

Hey, DaddyBrix, welcome to CFC!

Unfortunately, no, Firaxis has not yet released the DLL for CiV, but we are hoping they will release it with the Gods & Kings expansion.

I myself have not personally heard any news on RFC, but I assume if they release the DLL in June, then the show will officially be back on the road. :goodjob:

Sorry to sound dumb but why is the DLL needed to make the mod?

Basically because all the cool stuff would be really hard to do in Lua and it would probably be slower than a 3000 B.C RFC American start running on a 95 computer if it was.

Top Bottom