PolyCast Episode 124: "Patch Your Eye Out"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Ever alert. The one-hundred-and-twenty-fourth episode of PolyCast, "Patch Your Eye Out", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua" and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew with returning guest co-hosts Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney and "MadDjinn"; it has a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m22s | News
Initial impressions following first playthroughs of the substantial June Civilization V patch. Starting with Social Policies, the conversation then moves onto science and technology, including Research Agreements (13m22s); Infinite City Sprawl, also known as I.C.S. (25m22s); difficulty levels (29m42s), and finally Declarations of War (34m58s).
- 44m01s | Forum Talk
What to think, and make, of CivV's starting bias for civilization placement on maps.
- 50m12s | Miscellaneous
Weighing in on the substantial examination into stock image use in Civilization V.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
A warm welcome back to a Very Important Person to the show, soundalike mishap, and setting priorities.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Thanks to you both. :king:

Are you long-time listeners, recent arrivals to the show or somewhere in between?

my firt episode i saw had as title pounce like a tiger. So i am new... Civ 4 Was my first civilization game and then civ 5 wich i really looked forward to because i found the combat in civ 4 just random... But now I thinx diplomacy is to random in civ 5 something i didnt liked at all. Diplomacy was the reason why i started playing civilization 4 i usally play real time strategy games and wished to play a game with actually diplomacy that made sence

Ah, you are both relative new listeners then -- welcome, welcome. I expect perhaps you came across the show from the news items on CFC's homepage?

Do feel free to browse the archive of episodes for others of interest as well if you are so inclined and haven't done so already. :) Thanks for the support!

The social policy bug MadDjinn talked about was solved by the recent hotfix. The developers comments rumoured were this:

Thanks for spotting this, we're correcting it now. On the plus side, the game was balanced with the current values, so it will not throw off the culture game. This will be adjusted when we post an update.

also the cost increase was very minor (exponent went from 2 to 2.01). culture victories are significantly easier after the patch.

I'm glad MadDjinn was added to the podcast, he lends quite a bit of experience and insight. His Let's Plays are well known. :)

I just started listening to this show I like it a lot.
Great show, thanks!
Looking forward to the next one.
To both of you, thanks. :cool:

The social policy bug MadDjinn talked about was solved by the recent hotfix. The developers comments rumoured were this
also the cost increase was very minor (exponent went from 2 to 2.01). culture victories are significantly easier after the patch.
Thanks for noting these points in the update. During the week between the recording of this episode and its post-produced version release, the hotfix you both refer to was released.

I'm glad MadDjinn was added to the podcast, he lends quite a bit of experience and insight. His Let's Plays are well known. :)
Yes, MD was the guest on this episode's panel which, particularly given the CivV patch focus, was most welcome.

First Polycast I've listened to and turns out I'm mentioned on it! :king: Thanks for the mention, y'all; I'm glad I could spark a discussion.

Subscribed to you guys on iTunes now. :)

This is my 1st polycast & I really enjoyed it.
I went on to listen to the CivWorld review, which I couldn't agree more

Great I will try this now. I love the podcast really but I haven't listened since Civ5 came out. I kind of always connected the Civ5 hate brigade with this podcast for some reason. I don't know if that's valid because as I say I never listened to it since 5 came out. I often read the notes though and it gave me that impression. Nothing against you guys on the podcast which is a brilliant endeavour, just the bad attitude in general towards Civ5 in the wider community.

First Polycast I've listened to and turns out I'm mentioned on it! :king: Thanks for the mention, y'all; I'm glad I could spark a discussion.
:D, timing can often be everything! You are welcome for the mention.

Subscribed to you guys on iTunes now. :)
:king:

This is my 1st polycast & I really enjoyed it.
I went on to listen to the CivWorld review, which I couldn't agree more
Thanks kindly to you :cool:, another new listener.

Receiving such feedback after first impressions is always welcome as there is only one opportunity to make it, and they are so important to maintain and further build an audience.

im also an ontarian civ fan:goodjob:
:cheers:
:)

Great I will try this now. I love the podcast really but I haven't listened since Civ5 came out. I kind of always connected the Civ5 hate brigade with this podcast for some reason. I don't know if that's valid because as I say I never listened to it since 5 came out. I often read the notes though and it gave me that impression. Nothing against you guys on the podcast which is a brilliant endeavour, just the bad attitude in general towards Civ5 in the wider community.
I can well appreciate this perception. Between the show's regular panelists and many of the guests, there are a number of criticisms of Civilization V past and present given but are done in a constructive manner. Some of us are more positive about the game's current status and future prospects than others, but I would say that any negativity that comes across is about one or more aspects of the game wanting to be added, modified or removed as opposed to dismissing the game outright.

Hope you enjoy this episode and will return to the show's listening base. :yeah:

Top Bottom