Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

I seem to recall one could trace an IP of a user on a website via WHOIS, am I remembering correctly and if so how do I do it.

I seem to recall one could trace an IP of a user on a website via WHOIS, am I remembering correctly and if so how do I do it.

You can get a general idea of the location here http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm?getlocation

Question: My modem is somehow blocking incoming ports and that breaks some of my programs. I cant find how to access modem settings. How do i fix this. Port forwarding is set up correctly but i cant get it to open.

I have sql problem.

This works:
select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb;
This works:
Insert into Bbbb (aaa,eee) values (4,0);
But this doesn't:
Insert into Bbbb (aaameee) values (select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb, 0);

Can somebopdy tell where the problem is?

EDIT: I got it working! it's
insert into Bbbb (aaa, eee) values ((select max(aaa) from Bbbb)+1, 0);

Though I don't understand what's the crucial difference between these two expressions. That's what bugs me with sql, it seems like you always have to be guessing how to write it correctly. At least for a beginner.

I should have asked this question YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

Is it a bad idea to use the same username across multiple forums/sites? If so, why?

I'd say using the same password is worse. I suppose it makes it easier for potential hackers to gain access to more of your accounts, and thus more of your information.

It really depends on how much you care that people from one place know who you are at other places. Except when places are spinoffs from one another or related in some way, it's very very rare that active people in one place are active in another.

But, then, Cutlass is a much more common name than PlutonianEmpire. I can't register under the name Cutlass at places like Twitter or Youtube because it's already taken.

I should have asked this question YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

Is it a bad idea to use the same username across multiple forums/sites? If so, why?

Yes, if only because of cyberstalkers. :(

You can get a general idea of the location here http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm?getlocation

Question: My modem is somehow blocking incoming ports and that breaks some of my programs. I cant find how to access modem settings. How do i fix this. Port forwarding is set up correctly but i cant get it to open.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the last sentence (can't get modem settings to open?) but what I do to open modem settings is:

1. Go to the command line, and type "ipconfig /all".
2. See what your Default Gateway is. Mine is 192.168.0.1.
3. Go to your web browser and type in your default gateway in the address bar (ex. 192.168.0.1 in the address bar).
4. You have your modem settings page.

I have DSL, and my ISP might make a difference, too. But, something like that should provide access to modem settings.

I put in the gateway and came up with the router.

So I have an old smart phone (Sony xperia x10) running Android 2.3 It's able to do tethering and act as a wifi hotspot for the phone's mobile data. I'm curious if there's also a way to use it to connect a computer to my home's wifi network. To use it as a USB wifi antenna or something.

EasyTether (Free & Paid) allows you to physically tether your device to a computer via USB and use the phone as a modem. The free app does not allow https:, the paid app does.

PDANet (Paid, 30 day free trial) allows this as well. There are a lot of programs in the market/playstore that allow this, search for 'tethering'. If you have a rooted phone, there are more options available to you.

Er, I'm under the impression that uses the phone's data connection and I plan on removing the SIM card leaving it a wifi-only device. I'll check it out though.

EasyTether (Free & Paid) allows you to physically tether your device to a computer via USB and use the phone as a modem. The free app does not allow https:, the paid app does.

PDANet (Paid, 30 day free trial) allows this as well. There are a lot of programs in the market/playstore that allow this, search for 'tethering'. If you have a rooted phone, there are more options available to you.

Can your mobile phone company easily see if your using your phone as a modem, because in my 'users agreemnet' it say tethering is not allowed. (A very stupid rule btw).

Er, I'm under the impression that uses the phone's data connection and I plan on removing the SIM card leaving it a wifi-only device. I'll check it out though.
I don't know, I've never tried a wired connection to a wifi. Might work. It depends on if those two will try to use the 3g or 4g connection. But if I were to use the market on the phone and it's attached to a wifi network, it uses that connection and doesn't turn on the 3g/4g antenna to connect.
Can your mobile phone company easily see if your using your phone as a modem, because in my 'users agreemnet' it say tethering is not allowed. (A very stupid rule btw).
Don't know. I know that some custom rom sites include a wifi tethering, and that doesn't incur an extra charge with the carrier. They say they don't get charged the tethering fee....

I don't know, I've never tried a wired connection to a wifi. Might work. It depends on if those two will try to use the 3g or 4g connection. But if I were to use the market on the phone and it's attached to a wifi network, it uses that connection and doesn't turn on the 3g/4g antenna to connect.

That's a pretty good point, the phone does revert to wifi automatically for browsing and the market. Might have to dig out my old computer and try this.

Question:

I have no video card... just NVidia 6150SE w/ GeForce 430 on-board integrated graphics.

According to the NVidia documentation, it apparently supports Pixel Shader 3.0; does it also support Vertex Shader 3.0?

In my NVIDIA control panel, under the "manage 3d settings" page, there's a dropdown box that lists "global presets". How do I add a new custom global preset?

more of a smart phone question. But I'm wondering if you can use a smart phone to connect to a wi-fi network even if you don't have a carrier (ie I don't pay my bill). I'm just wondering how useful my smart phone will be when I cancel my cell phone service. Otherwise I just have an expensive alarm clock. :D

Top Bottom