News: WOTM 41 - Starts 9 January

babybluepants

Deity
GOTM Staff

WOTM 41: England

I was planning to give you guys an Inca game this month, but neilmeister beat me to it. :(

In any case, you get another leader almost as good...

You will be playing as Queen Elizabeth I of England. The English grew up on a tiny and not overly hospitable island, largely isolated from the rest of the world. Yet, by the time of Elizabeth's reign, their modern naval force had control of the world's seas and fostered a great and expansive empire. Can you repeat the over-achievements of real England?

Game Details:

Game settings:
Civilization: England (Leader: Liz; Traits: Financial and Philosophical)
Rivals: 4 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Map: Modified Pangaea
Mapsize: Small
Climate: Temperate
Sea Level: High
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No Tribal Villages
Victory Conditions: all enabled.

Liz:
Liz is Financial and Philosophical and England starts with Mining and Fishing. Financial provides +1 commerce on all plots with 2 commerce or more. Philosophical provides +100% great person points and double production speed of University.

Unique unit: Redcoat (replaces Rifleman)
The Redcoat has a +25% combat bonus against Gunpowder units. Redcoats require Rifling to build.

Unique building: Stock Exchange (replaces Bank)
The Stock Exchange provides +65% wealth. Stock Exchange requires Banking to build.

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:

You receive a free Great Engineer at the start of the game.

Challenger Class Equalisers:

Your game will be played on Emperor difficulty. Note: the AI will have Emperor-level starting units.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open on 9 January 2012. From that date, you'll be able to get the starting saves -->Here<--.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 21 February 2012.

Civ version

This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Beyond the Sword or Vanilla Civ), patched to version 2.13, as modified by BtS version 3.13, and with the correct HOF mod version installed.

Windows players
You can download version HOF-2.13.004 of the HOF mod here. Note that this is the new version of the HOF mod, first used for WOTM 25. For game security reasons this HOF mod version requires you to be logged in with an account that has admin privileges when you are playing for your game to be a valid entry to the GOTM competition. You'll see a warning dialog if you attempt to start a session without appropriate privileges.

If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here

Mac players will also require the 2.13 patch, with HoF Mod version HOF-Mac-2.13.001.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of the game outside those threads while it is in progress.

Please post in this thread or send me a Private Message for any technical queries, eg. if you have trouble opening the game. Do NOT post in this thread once you have successfully opened the starting save.

I was planning to give you guys an Inca game this month, but neilmeister beat me to it. :(

Sorry bbp, this is the second time I have done this to you :sad: but I do like Elizabeth.

ps. I am definitely settling in place.

@ZPV,
Sorry. That was meant to be a not-so-subtle spoiler about the game setup; not really a comment about England to be taken literally.

@neil,
Same thing applies. I really don't mind about Inca. This way I can give you guys Inca Deity in a few months, if I'm feeling particularly generous... ;)

The English grew up on a tiny and not overly hospitable island, largely isolated from the rest of the world.

Using the same technique to politely ask a question...;)

Thanks for setting this up, BBP (best wishes for the 2012, btw!):)

I'll give it a try, I guess. SIP looks fine imho, too. I am a bit worried that I don't understand very well the expectation about doing the same till Elizabeth's time that was in the initial post. Does this pose any time limits or comparison limits?:mischief:

@ZPV,
Sorry. That was meant to be a not-so-subtle spoiler about the game setup; not really a comment about England to be taken literally.

No offence taken - we do seem rather fond of complaining about the weather ;)
I just found that phrasing particularly funny.

Will try a one city conquest on this. Don't like the start position at all...BAD start techs for the land showing...the pig and fp take multiple techs to improve.

Can't decide much based on the screenshot since I'll be moving to the coast and :please: praying for seafood.

cas

Hi civfanatics.com :)

Just got a "new" to me laptop that can finally handle some of these more "modern" games that been dying to try out lol.

New to Civ4, but have been playing a few of the older WOTMs for the past month. The maps have been really well put together and been having loads of fun learning the game. Kudos to the creators! And so I'd like to try this month's English challenge win or lose.

My question tho: What is the proper way to save/resume a game? I read through both the HOF site and the pinned Welcome thread in this forum, but couldn't seem to find answers as to the proper technique. I keep getting "Session 3,4,5, etc Starts" in my replays after saving/exiting the game and then resuming at a later time from where I left off? Am I doing something wrong or is this just how Civ4 records?

Guess I could just leave the game open in the background for now to get started till figure this out. I recall having similar problems in PBEM AOW2 games in which I was simply saving/resuming game incorrectly.

Thnx.

Welcome to CFC, bajadulce. :)

The way to save/resume a game is: when you're ready to stop for a while, save the game, and then exit without making any more moves. Then, when you're ready to continue, load the game from that save, and continue at your leisure. Nothing more to it. :)

Thnx ZPV.

Wasn't sure if I was doing this correctly as was confused by those "Session start" logs in the replays at those continuations. So I guess those are normal logs when you resume your game? I was under the impression that Session restart logs only represented games that had been continued from an earlier start as a way to flag a non-sequence game.

With that cleared up:
Managed to play the scenario last night up to about 500 BC and saved right after a HUGE event took place! And so that seemed a proper place to exit. Will try to play up to the 1AD mark and post in the other thread soon. Fun map.

Thnx for confirming what seemed like the obvious. :)

Top Bottom