Fall of Rome (Scenario)

I'm stuck in Europe with a crappy subspec laptop and would like to see the land on either side of the English Channel in the 'Into the Renaissance' scenario and Germany or perhaps the Balkans from the Fall of Rome scenario.

Much obliged. I obviously didn't check back far enough before posting.:hammer2:

EDIT: What a relief, the Fall of Rome map displays an admirable level of accuracy - and it's huge.

I'm all about achievements, so I began by playing the Huns on Settler difficulty to give me a sense of the scenario layout, geography, opponents, etc.

Needless to say it was easy. I played it straight through, losing only one unit, I think, and that was near the end when I didn't care anymore and just wanted to run out the few turns.

At the start of the scenario, I set my sole city to build a Stable to gain extra production and leaving it undefended, sent my entire force southwest to attack the Goths. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone for The Heroic Epic because you'll begin capturing a lot of cities quickly and you'll never be able to get it at any other time than the beginning. Somebody else will have to determine if it's feasible at the very outset or if that would take too long and necessitate delaying your first attack.

The first city (Olbia) fell easily granting two Battering Rams. They were invaluable for the remainder of the scenario given that they could take down city defenses incredibly quickly, though they are very vulnerable to melee units. Horsemen were the only other melee units capable of conquering a city, so I nursed the Rams along, upgrading them as I went, protecting them, and they proved a great help. Any other melee units were inpractical since my capital was so remote.

Time wasn't an issue, so don't rush, but pick off the units carefully. Your Horse Archers will inflict 90% of the damage in this scenario so I suggest getting Medic upgrades for your Horsemen to decrease downtime after taking a city. Pursue either Accuracy III or Barrage III for each Horse Archer to unlock Logistics (double attack) as fast as possible. After that, I tended to choose March (heal automatically every turn), and then Range (+1).

As far as capital/conquered city production goes, I'd aim for cultural choices to unlock the Wily Veterans (+100% experience) and Destiny's Army (+50% combat strength for military units with an adjacent military unit) social policy choices. Once you have those, you'll roll over everything quickly.

I didn't even take the time to finish the Goths or anyone else. Strangely, once I took out a few cities, all opponents whether the Goths, Eastern Rome, or Western Rome tended to leave me alone and made no effort to retake cities. Therefore, though I built a few Composite Bowmen for garrison purposes, they were almost entirely unneeded. Constantinople was encroached on by a tiny force and I was able to hold it off easily. Perhaps the AI was occupied elsewhere. I don't know.

I took Obia, Tyras, and then the capital Arheimar from the Goths before swinging south to attack Eastern Rome. I took Adrianople without difficulty. You can speed this up by embarking some units but watch out for a naval unit off Constantinople. I was able lure it in range and kill it with Horse Archers. After Adrianople fell, Constantinople fell quickly and I swung west after Western Rome. Rome is helpfully visible already which gives you your point to aim for.

I finished off the scenario by mopping up additional cities, but it was largely a waste of time since the game was already won and I gained little benefit. With separate armies, I pushed south to conquer Syracuse and Nicopolis, west as far as Massilia, and north as far as Tiel, but again, I could have just saved myself the effort after taking Rome and just passed, passed, passed until the time elapsed.

Doing this unlocked the following achievements for me:

Et tu, Brute Win the Fall of Rome scenario
Turks, Shmurks! Capture Constantinople in the Fall of Rome scenario
Double KO Capture both Rome and Constantinople in the Fall of Rome scenario

I expect I'll be pursuing the much harder achievements soon.

I'm all about achievements, so I began by playing the Huns on Settler difficulty to give me a sense of the scenario layout, geography, opponents, etc.

Needless to say it was easy. I played it straight through, losing only one unit, I think, and that was near the end when I didn't care anymore and just wanted to run out the few turns.

At the start of the scenario, I set my sole city to build a Stable to gain extra production and leaving it undefended, sent my entire force southwest to attack the Goths. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone for The Heroic Epic because you'll begin capturing a lot of cities quickly and you'll never be able to get it at any other time than the beginning. Somebody else will have to determine if it's feasible at the very outset or if that would take too long and necessitate delaying your first attack.

The first city (Olbia) fell easily granting two Battering Rams. They were invaluable for the remainder of the scenario given that they could take down city defenses incredibly quickly, though they are very vulnerable to melee units. Horsemen were the only other melee units capable of conquering a city, so I nursed the Rams along, upgrading them as I went, protecting them, and they proved a great help. Any other melee units were inpractical since my capital was so remote.

Time wasn't an issue, so don't rush, but pick off the units carefully. Your Horse Archers will inflict 90% of the damage in this scenario so I suggest getting Medic upgrades for your Horsemen to decrease downtime after taking a city. Pursue either Accuracy III or Barrage III for each Horse Archer to unlock Logistics (double attack) as fast as possible. After that, I tended to choose March (heal automatically every turn), and then Range (+1).

As far as capital/conquered city production goes, I'd aim for cultural choices to unlock the Wily Veterans (+100% experience) and Destiny's Army (+50% combat strength for military units with an adjacent military unit) social policy choices. Once you have those, you'll roll over everything quickly.

I didn't even take the time to finish the Goths or anyone else. Strangely, once I took out a few cities, all opponents whether the Goths, Eastern Rome, or Western Rome tended to leave me alone and made no effort to retake cities. Therefore, though I built a few Composite Bowmen for garrison purposes, they were almost entirely unneeded. Constantinople was encroached on by a tiny force and I was able to hold it off easily. Perhaps the AI was occupied elsewhere. I don't know.

I took Obia, Tyras, and then the capital Arheimar from the Goths before swinging south to attack Eastern Rome. I took Adrianople without difficulty. You can speed this up by embarking some units but watch out for a naval unit off Constantinople. I was able lure it in range and kill it with Horse Archers. After Adrianople fell, Constantinople fell quickly and I swung west after Western Rome. Rome is helpfully visible already which gives you your point to aim for.

I finished off the scenario by mopping up additional cities, but it was largely a waste of time since the game was already won and I gained little benefit. With separate armies, I pushed south to conquer Syracuse and Nicopolis, west as far as Massilia, and north as far as Tiel, but again, I could have just saved myself the effort after taking Rome and just passed, passed, passed until the time elapsed.

Doing this unlocked the following achievements for me:

Et tu, Brute Win the Fall of Rome scenario
Turks, Shmurks! Capture Constantinople in the Fall of Rome scenario
Double KO Capture both Rome and Constantinople in the Fall of Rome scenario

I expect I'll be pursuing the much harder achievements soon.

so you consider beating the scenario on settler an achivement? :rolleyes: do you also consider it a big feat to wake up every morning? :rolleyes:
Moderator Action: Please don't troll around.

Well, beating Fall of rome on anything easier than Immortal wont worth much, because it is quite Easy... It is about abusing your UA and UFs , and outmaneuver AI in fights, which, given units and nasty UFs , human player, by default, could do better than AI
UFs are powerful for every civ in game, only need to use and abuse it.... Must say i really like the Scenario, and it could be really epic and very different if you try to play different civs on Imoortal +
The kind of scenario i dont mind to finish with every civ, before pushing it to the "far shelf"
Atm i can give tips for Goths and for Franks .... both are cool civs, each one with own powerful UFs and approach
I believe Rome games are easiest, because there quite powerful UFs which human with strategic approach could abuse in muuuch better measure than AI

so you consider beating the scenario on settler an achivement? :rolleyes: do you also consider it a big feat to wake up every morning? :rolleyes:

I consider obtaining every achievement in the game an achievement (w/o the aid of someone else's saved game), and that's what I'm working towards. I've got 197/227 at present, and if doing the absolute minimum required to gain one lessens me in your eyes, I think I can live with that.

I consider obtaining every achievement in the game an achievement (w/o the aid of someone else's saved game), and that's what I'm working towards. I've got 197/227 at present, and if doing the absolute minimum required to gain one lessens me in your eyes, I think I can live with that.

you just proved my point, your doing the bare minimum and calling it an achievement. In any event when done at a reasonable lvl the achievements in civ 5 are fun to get and this is coming from a guy thats not big on achievements. Good luck with your quest to get all the achievements in the easiest way possible sounds like you have alot of time on your hands dont forget to do something constructive as well with your time ;)

I Missed That Day in History Class Capture any Sassanid City as the Celts in the Fall of Rome scenario

I'm struggling with this one even on Settler. Anybody completed it yet, and if so, how? The Sassanids, I know, are due south of the Huns all the way in the southeast corner of the map. The Celts, of course, are all the way in the northwest with all of Europe and Asia between them. Don't forget this scenario has only 70 turns.

I suspect my strategy is all wrong. I crossed the channel immediately and began taking cities with ease. I've taken 9 so far but have not pushed east all that far. I kept looking for an end to the cities, but there's always another one in front of me and the Seaxman with their 2 movement are adept at killing off any wounded unit if you're not careful. My thought was to break through to the emptiness between the Goths and the Huns and then make a beeline for the Sassanids. That said, I've only got 27 turns left, so I suspect I've already lost.

The Celts' special ability is that they gain a 50% combat bonus when fighting a civilization with more cities, so I should have razed every single city I encounter. It's hard since it goes against my nature to abandon cities I've fought over, but I need to define my objective and stick to it.

Perhaps instead of crossing the channel and landing to the south, I should follow the coast east and attempt to take Betuwe and push on from there. I think I'm going to start over and try that after taking Gesoriacum to prevent it from bombarding me as I pass. Then maybe the distance to the Sassanids will be manageable.

I'm struggling with this one even on Settler. Anybody completed it yet, and if so, how? The Sassanids, I know, are due south of the Huns all the way in the southeast corner of the map. The Celts, of course, are all the way in the northwest with all of Europe and Asia between them. Don't forget this scenario has only 70 turns.
A person can get the entire Mediterranean Sea. Persia is easy to find then. 6 horsemen can be bought ...

A person can get the entire Mediterranean Sea. Persia is easy to find then. 6 horsemen can be bought ...

Thanks. Have you actually done that? I would thought it would take too long to sail all the way around Europe, but I'll give it a try.

You know, these achievements are not meant to be easy...

No complaint if it's not easy. It just seems too indirect. I've got many troops at the scenario's outset which would make the water passage cramped and I'd come into range of too many coastal cities. So, I'm trying my idea first. I attacked south immediately and took out Gesoriacum quickly losing a single trireme that likely could have been avoided, but if my plan works, I'm not going to need my naval units anymore. I kept the city long enough to heal and then razed it, selling the building.

Six turns later, I've taken Betuwe which is as far up the coast as you can go. Razing that too shortly. I've got all my melee units, and if all goes well, I can make a straight shot east and break through into the open and make a beeline through the unoccupied territory down to the Sassanids. I'm torn regarding whether to bother capturing the cities quickly or running the gauntlet and taking the garrison fire as I move my troops through.

Looks like only one other person has acquired this achievement. Or at least, 0.1% of the players have it so far:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/CivV/achievements

I Missed That Day in History Class

Edit: Hmm. It looks like one achievement from this scenario has never been acquired by anyone. Might have to try that one next:

Pax Romana Aeturnum Win the game as Eastern or Western Rome on Deity and have all your original cities under your control in the Fall of Rome scenario.

Thanks. Have you actually done that? I would thought it would take too long to sail all the way around Europe, but I'll give it a try.
Yep. Also tried it on settler like the party I was responding to. :mischief: Drive to the beaches on the south of France ASAP.

Yep. Also tried it on settler like the party I was responding to. :mischief: Drive to the beaches on the south of France ASAP.

Well, that was highly confusing. My apologies.

I think I've actually got this, though it's a bit soon to tell. I ended up taking Duisberg on Turn 11 which turned out to be the Franks' capital. That was the last barrier to breaking out to the East. On Turn 12 my armies are launching out east and then south (once I feel I've cleared the Goths who are out there somewhere). With 58 turns left and my entire ground force intact, I'm optimistic that I've got this won.

Won it with 25 turns to go and could have been sooner but I didn't recognize the first border I encountered as the Sassanids until I'd gone around it. I ended up taking Artaxata on the eastern side of the game screen.

Top Bottom