Unit Creation Newb Help

sourboy

Awakening...
There are many awesome units coming from the unit creators that post in these forums, but they are so overwhelmed with requests, I thought I would give it a shot. My question is this: what program is commonly used amongst creators here (I know Kal-El proposed sharing files to speed things up) or what is good but still compatible with the standard here?

I tried OpenFX, and though it's not bad, there is nothing more then a limited help menu for support. I'd rather spend time creating units then trying to work out kinks with out even a tutorial. Gmax, 3ds, Poser, and other names have been proposed. I would be making mainly humanoid units (taking some load off of Kinboat) and would like to use some of the base models submitted in Kal-Els creation library if possible.

I would appreciate any suggestions or support in the matter. I've got the time, patience, and creativity to make many, many units - I just need a little guidance on getting going. Thanks!

Are you willing to spend money for a 3d program? Is the biggest question of all. I know that at least Poser and Rhinocersous(sp?) costs money.

If it's necessary, sure. I considered going to school for such, so I'm sure I would need it then anyway. At the same time I know there are many free programs and conversion programs that can bridge the differences. What I want is something that is easy to use, but yet produces good results or has many options.

Maybe you could try "Blender" (look for the thread) Its free and as far as i can tell is a good 3d animation program. Then again i just started 3d stuff a couple days ago. (Not including POV-Ray)

I actually just replied in that thread. I downloaded via CDG referals, then saw NeoMega's recommendation here. I'll give it a test tomorrow. Do the finished files need to be converted? I have PaintShop & FLICster, but may need a file converter?

sourboy said:
I actually just replied in that thread. I downloaded via CDG referals, then saw NeoMega's recommendation here. I'll give it a test tomorrow. Do the finished files need to be converted? I have PaintShop & FLICster, but may need a file converter?

All finished files need to be converted, as the Civ III unit .flc file is unique to the civ III engine. The leaderhead .flc's however, are standard .flc files. And if you are interested, I am pretty sure the movies (bink video) are standard file types as well.

You dont *need* a file converter. For standard units all more you need is SBB. It takes several bitmaps (Blender can save each frame as bmps) and compiles them into a story board that Flictster can use to make the flics needed for civ units. It may take a little longer then having a progam just makes animations .flc files but it works.

Neomega - you tried a few programs, are you feeling OpenFX is the most comfortable or at least a good starter program for new creators?

sourboy said:
Neomega - you tried a few programs, are you feeling OpenFX is the most comfortable or at least a good starter program for new creators?

Of the free programs, yes. Because it has a civ-specific tutorial and a camera setup. But in the long run, I think Blender would be a better choice. really up to you.

You dont *need* a file converter. For standard units all more you need is SBB. It takes several bitmaps (Blender can save each frame as bmps) and compiles them into a story board that Flictster can use to make the flics needed for civ units. It may take a little longer then having a progam just makes animations .flc files but it works.

So, if SBB and FLICster is not a file converter, what is?

Neomega said:
So, if SBB and FLICster is not a file converter, what is?

I was saying he didnt need any *new* file converter. SBB hardly counts cause all it does it put images together.

Ya know, I'm realizing the more I try to create a model, the more patience I need to learn the program. The bottom line there is that all the programs do the same thing, and since I started with OpenFX, I should stick with it. It's not like minor errors are noticeable in a Civ unit, heh. I actually have a generic unit base image made & colored after a few hours work. If things are only to get easier, then all I need to do is put out quality work.

sourboy said:
Ya know, I'm realizing the more I try to create a model, the more patience I need to learn the program. The bottom line there is that all the programs do the same thing, and since I started with OpenFX, I should stick with it. It's not like minor errors are noticeable in a Civ unit, heh. I actually have a generic unit base image made & colored after a few hours work. If things are only to get easier, then all I need to do is put out quality work.

I would suggest a non-human unit first, like a tank, or armored car or ship or something.

This thread sounds very interesting.:)I would also try to make a unit or two instead of just request and request.So where can I find OpenFX?

vbraun thinks to himself, "Another one converted to Blender" ;)

Make sure to read the tutorials i posted in the thread they help a lot.

vbraun said:
vbraun thinks to himself, "Another one converted to Blender" ;)

Make sure to read the tutorials i posted in the thread they help a lot.

Blender has many more detailed tutorials, even advanced rendering techniques. I am only playing around with OPenFX right now because my new computer parts have not come in. I am getting so giddy imagining having OPenFX render on one computer, while I am working on Blender on another.
:crazyeye: :scan:

Top Bottom