Quick Questions and Answers

I'd love to know how unit maintenance is calculated. It seems like I can disband one unit, get +5 gpt, disband another with no change, disband a third and get +1 gpt. I haven't discovered any logic to it. Maybe it's a complex interaction of unit type, distance from somewhere, and number of units. What's odd though is that there is a supply number (of "allowed" number of units??) in one of the advisor screens, but I've never come close to exceeding it.

I'd love to know how unit maintenance is calculated. It seems like I can disband one unit, get +5 gpt, disband another with no change, disband a third and get +1 gpt. I haven't discovered any logic to it. Maybe it's a complex interaction of unit type, distance from somewhere, and number of units. What's odd though is that there is a supply number (of "allowed" number of units??) in one of the advisor screens, but I've never come close to exceeding it.

That's not a simple question and no one knows yet. The support and maintenance are unrelated. The support just means all cities get -10% production if you go over (and you get a neat icon in the top bar, but don't worry. You'll be flat broke before that happens :p

I can't test now, but finding the answer could be as simple as placing your unit in different places, deleting it, and seeing how much your gold goes down :

- unit inside city
- unit inside territory
- unit outside territory
- unit in another players territory
- unit in enemy territory

Etc

Does the pentagon stack with professional army? And if so does it give -100% to upgrade or -75%?

Just fyi.. even though I doubt no one has asked, but the krepost (russian UB) does not stack with angkor wat. In fact it does absolutely nothing.. honestly I think this was an oversight.

Maintenance scales with number of turns played. It is also calculated in pairs of units, so if you delete one and get no reduction, delete a second one and you will.

Maintenance scales with number of turns played.
How exactly, do you have a formula for it?

Also not asked but will answer anyway.. ghandi's special trait (double unhappiness from number of cities) cannot be dropped to zero like most other civs with the forbidden palace and planned economy.

I'm pretty sure that theocracy(piety) stacks in a linear fashion with his trait for 30% uhappy from population. Of course I was playing on super easy to get the bollywood achievement so it may have been low for other reasons. Perhaps someone could doublecheck this.

My question pertains to strategic resources:

When you acquire strategic resources by trade, they are on a turn limit, right? Does anything bad happen (diplomatically) if you use a resource to build a unit and cannot later give it back when the deal expires? Along those same lines, is there any reason NOT to use the strategic resources given to you in a trade, knowing that you'll just be handing them back to the original owner after a set number of turns anyway?

Thanks!

Other stackables include catherine's Siberian riches with cultural diplomacy (they give 4x the ammount!) Sadly i didn't take facism this game, but I would like to know if/how this stacks with these traits.

The greek trait stacks with patronage in a non-linear fashion. It reduces it by 25% after it gets halved. So .37 rather than .25

Edit: Okay finally had the chance to test this, and facism stacks with siberian riches, but not with cultural diplomacy. You only get the extra from resources you actually own.

bcruise: There is no penalty for having negative resources, you simply won't be able to build that unit type again once it dies. Ask your allies for uranium, build some nukes and then use them against them... hmm sounding familiar?

How to buy units with GOLD instead of building it

You can only buy whole units, you cannot start producing a unit and then only pay for the remaining hammers. I believe there's a button in the city view which enables the purchase menu.

click the city name and it will pull up a menu where you can change production (including opening a queue - little checkbox on the bottom right) and purchase buildings and units (to the left of "change production").

bcruise: There is no penalty for having negative resources, you simply won't be able to build that unit type again once it dies. Ask your allies for uranium, build some nukes and then use them against them... hmm sounding familiar?

Your unit would get stre penalty, around 40% or so if you no longer own the resource from which it built on.

I have not seen it myself, but someone pointed out that if you make iron units then lose the iron, then the iron units you have will be less effective in combat. I don't recall by how much, it might have been by 25 or 50%.

oic.. my bad. I just built nuclear weapons to test it.. guess I should have gone with a more traditional unit

click the city name and it will pull up a menu where you can change production (including opening a queue - little checkbox on the bottom right) and purchase buildings and units (to the left of "change production").

Thanks.

I have been playin this game for a day and realized having more cities don't necessarily makes me richer as unhappiness will go down and maintenance cost goes up. I understand that i can raze the cities that i just conquered, but is that realistic?

I played other turn based strat games like KOEI Romance of the three kingdoms in which having more cities = richer.

Therefore, I am just not used to this whole concept. Is it just only me as i have never played other civc games previously.

Thanks.

I have been playin this game for a day and realized having more cities don't necessarily makes me richer as unhappiness will go down and maintenance cost goes up. I understand that i can raze the cities that i just conquered, but is that realistic?

I played other turn based strat games like KOEI Romance of the three kingdoms in which having more cities = richer.

Therefore, I am just not used to this whole concept. Is it just only me as i have never played other civc games previously.
Civ is quite unique. And kingdoms is also extremely unique. The similarity stops at the 1UPT, and you are jumping between two very different games... so yes expect a learning curve.

Some answers to a few questions posted here:

10) I would love to have a button that allows me to select a resource and dim all other resource icons on the map, thus making it easier for me to find a resource that was just revealed through tech. Scrolling the map for several minutes looking for coal is no fun.

When resources are revealed by the acquisition of a new tech, a circular icon showing that resource will appear in the iconized list on the right side of the screen, one icon for each instance. Click on the icon (you may have three or four identical ones) and the focus will move to that spot on the map. And the resource icons on the right will remain until the end of your turn - no more 'disappearing' announcements as in Civ IV. After the end of your turn, however, you WILL have to remember where they were, as the icon list is reset for each turn. Note that for long icon lists you can scroll from top to bottom and back.

Top Bottom