Pbem Difficulty Level Bug Workaround

Melifluous

King
OK I think I have a work around for this in PBEM at least...

You start a PBEM game as usual and set the difficulty you need...

Then everyone ON THEIR FIRST TURN, uses Multiplayer PBEM load game to load the game... WITH ONE SUBTLE DIFFERENCE!!!

You must set the correct difficulty BEFORE you load the game!!!

Then everyone has played their first turn you can just use the Load Game option from the main menu....

This seems to do it for me...

Melifluous

I started a game like this with 2 human players and 3 AI.

I hosted the game on the first player and set it up as Deity.
I launched the game.
I then saved and exited at the end of that players turn.
I then went to the Multiplayer screen and clicked on host.
I then set the difficulty level to Deity.
I then changed the game type to PBEM.
I then changed the Game Mode to Load Game.
I chose the game I had saved from the other player.
I then launched the game...

At the end of this players turn I saved and exited.

The first human player I loaded the game from the load game on the main menu.

It said Deity...

Continued to save and exit and load from the Load Game option on the main menu.

At 3700 BC I retired and got this screen...

I think you will all agree that is a Deity game...

Sorted...

Melifluous

Didn't work for me. I loaded everybody from MP and set deity first in each case. When you load a game it says "Difficulty level: Deity" but I got 2 citizens "born content" in each city, so it's really regent level in that respect.

I think the workaround of setting the difficulty level in each player's custom player data in the editor works, though.

Originally posted by sumthinelse
Didn't work for me. I loaded everybody from MP and set deity first in each case. When you load a game it says "Difficulty level: Deity" but I got 2 citizens "born content" in each city, so it's really regent level in that respect.

I think the workaround of setting the difficulty level in each player's custom player data in the editor works, though.
But it seems like the AI difficulty is on Deity. The human player level (happyness citizens/barb-level) is not right this way.

It is a improvement in any case!

Yeah OK,

So it aint perfect but I WILL work this final glitch out tomorrow...

Hopefully sorting out the AI level will now make 1v1's a better game...

Melifluous

PS. Did I mention that I love PBEM? No? Well I love PBEM... :p

There were some problems in Agent Orange game 2c when using this workaround. Somehow during the first turns in our PBEM acc . prod was activated, when the game starter did not toggle it on.

OK, I tested it.. I found out that if you have acc. prod turned on while using the workaround, the game becomes acc.prod This works one-way only. It can only be turned on, not turned off again. I wonder if the same goes for the victory conditions and other characteristics in that window...

so ATTENTION: while using the workaround, and if the game should be no acc. prod., make sure that acc.prod. is turned off while loading in MP-mode!!!

Originally posted by Plux
OK, I tested it.. I found out that if you have acc. prod turned on while using the workaround, the game becomes acc.prod This works one-way only. It can only be turned on, not turned off again. I wonder if the same goes for the victory conditions and other characteristics in that window...

so ATTENTION: while using the workaround, and if the game should be no acc. prod., make sure that acc.prod. is turned off while loading in MP-mode!!!

While this may be true, performing the workaround may trigger accelerated production anyway.

While setting up my Game 7, I was attempting to implement the Difficulty Bug Workaround, and I was very careful to disable Accelerated Production prior to loading the game. However, loading the game enabled Accelerated Production anyway!

Therefore, if you are a host for a PBEM game, you may have to relaunch a game multiple times in order to obtain the desired settings. If you are only a player in a PBEM game, I would strongly discourage you from attempting this workaround.

heihojin

Did you notice if the barbarians were also according to diffculty level you chose ?

With the method from Melifluous AI follows the targetted difficulty level, but barbarians seem to stay at chieftain level. Getting barbarians to higher level would make some more spice to PBEM games....

Originally posted by FinTom
Did you notice if the barbarians were also according to diffculty level you chose ?
No, I didn't play the games past the first turn.

heihojin

Well now I have managed to go one step further.

I have worked out how to create both the correct AI level and the correct HUMAN level.

Its a little bit involved, so if you dont really wanna know then just wait for the next patch from firaxis (if there is one :rolleyes: )

If you do wanna know then here it is.

For starters you need someone not in the game you are planning to do this for you...

They create a map in the editor.
They can set the AI level there for each and every player.
Save the scenario.
Using the method above host a PBEM from the scenario
Start the game and then save it immediately.

Then using the same method host a PBEM from the save game.
Save immediately.
Send to the first player.

The first player and any further players can then LOAD THE GAME AS THEY LIKE...
ie from the Load Game option on the main menu...

THIS WORKS!

AI level set, Human (and therefore barbarian strength) set, everyone happy...

Melifluous

Top Bottom