Hello from Christopher Tin

And finally, if I could pick a rapper to work with, I dunno... Eminem maybe? Kanye? No wait... SNOOP. :)
Please do! Since the Gorillaz album he has been working with people like David Guetta :( If you could make eminem good again I would also be happy :cool:

Just wanted to drop by and say that the title song God of Love sounds fairly awesome. It feels to me like - in a loss of better words - electronic melancholic epic pop (or well, what you wrote). Which I seemingly dig, in this case anyway. It is been a long since I bought a new album I have to admit, but this one may very well make it.

Just wanted to drop by and say that the title song God of Love sounds fairly awesome. It feels to me like - in a loss of better words - electronic melancholic epic pop (or well, what you wrote). Which I seemingly dig, in this case anyway. It is been a long since I bought a new album I have to admit, but this one may very well make it.

Hey, thanks... and I appreciate the support! And electronic melancholic epic pop sounds like a great tagline. :)

Just wanted to say a few things.

-I ordered the signed copy of GOL. I don't listen to much in that genre though but I really enjoy GOL. I think it's a bit of a grower for me personally, I like it more every time I listen to it. Great work Chris, I absolutely love your work and anything you do! Even if you did do a death metal album I would still buy it and I can't even stand death metal! You seem to be a really great guy, real great with us (the fans), respectful of the medium, and I think it's a real tragedy that we didn't get your work in Civ 5. As far as I'm concerned, you've got a supporter for life in me :)

-Also for some reason parts of some tracks are vaguely reminiscent to me of the Dust Brothers' score to Fight Club, especially in A Rapture. Is that just me hearing what I like (since I love that score)?

-The thing that excites me the most about God of Love is the use of classic poetic works, especially Monster of the Sky since I absolutely love "Manfred" by Lord Byron. I like to write similar sorts of stuff myself sometimes so I have an interest in those sorts of works, it really is awesome to see the usage of that.

-Looking forward to your next album.

-Oh yeah also just a quick question, when you play Civ what's your favourite victory type? Are you the militaristic guy, the cultural powerhouse guy, UN victory guy, space race, etc? I love to play big cultural powerhouses in civ games, build lots of wonders, etc. What about you?

Just wanted to say a few things.

-I ordered the signed copy of GOL. I don't listen to much in that genre though but I really enjoy GOL. I think it's a bit of a grower for me personally, I like it more every time I listen to it. Great work Chris, I absolutely love your work and anything you do! Even if you did do a death metal album I would still buy it and I can't even stand death metal! You seem to be a really great guy, real great with us (the fans), respectful of the medium, and I think it's a real tragedy that we didn't get your work in Civ 5. As far as I'm concerned, you've got a supporter for life in me :)

-Also for some reason parts of some tracks are vaguely reminiscent to me of the Dust Brothers' score to Fight Club, especially in A Rapture. Is that just me hearing what I like (since I love that score)?

-The thing that excites me the most about God of Love is the use of classic poetic works, especially Monster of the Sky since I absolutely love "Manfred" by Lord Byron. I like to write similar sorts of stuff myself sometimes so I have an interest in those sorts of works, it really is awesome to see the usage of that.

-Looking forward to your next album.

-Oh yeah also just a quick question, when you play Civ what's your favourite victory type? Are you the militaristic guy, the cultural powerhouse guy, UN victory guy, space race, etc? I love to play big cultural powerhouses in civ games, build lots of wonders, etc. What about you?

Hey Yari!

Thanks, man! So glad you took a chance and got the album, and I'm glad it's growing on you. Feel free to leave a review on iTunes or Amazon. ;) And thanks for being a big supporter... I appreciate it. Maybe I will do that death metal album after all... see how far I can strain relationships with fans of Baba Yetu. ;)

I LOVE the score to Fight Club. I actually know one of the guys who wrote a lot of that music... (he wasn't one of the two actual Dust Brothers, but he nevertheless did a lot of the music). It wasn't ever on my mind when we were putting together the album, but sometimes stuff just seeps in there. If there's anything in particular that reminds you of anything in particular from Fight Club, it probably wasn't intentional, but I'd be glad to hear about it anyway.

And poetic classics... yeah, I was an English major, so that's my time at Oxford showing through. (Are you British? I see some British spellings in there...)

As for Civ victories, it's conquest all the way, baby! Although that usually doesn't work out very well for me. But it's sort of the most fun... and sometimes most frustrating, too. Maybe if I played more I'd be a little savvier and go for, say, the Space Race victory. But I like to slay my enemies and trample on their graves, and watch their women weep. Or something like that. :)

I probably will write up a review and put it on Amazon some time, happy to get a good word out. I usually show my friends so they can get copies too if they like it. Will definitely be showing them GOL.

That's actually really awesome you know somebody who worked on the Fight Club music. It is a great score.

As far as the Fight Club stuff goes I think stuff like:

-in the track "Jack's Smirking Revenge", the first two minutes or so (before the music changes for the scene transition) bears a resemblance to some of the stuff on GOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErnR_qCMxfY at least in my opinion, anyway.

-or in the track "Medula Oblongata", the first two minutes of this one or so as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuWIhaW_BfI reminds me of some of the driving beats at points in A Rapture, although Medula Oblongata is much faster paced, but they sound kinda similar to me.

There's a few other things, bits and pieces here and there really.

Also you are correct I'm not American, I am Australian (we use a lot of British spellings for things).

-Also, maybe you should be - Christopher Tin the Great, Destroyer of Worlds

I probably will write up a review and put it on Amazon some time, happy to get a good word out. I usually show my friends so they can get copies too if they like it. Will definitely be showing them GOL.

That's actually really awesome you know somebody who worked on the Fight Club music. It is a great score.

As far as the Fight Club stuff goes I think stuff like:

-in the track "Jack's Smirking Revenge", the first two minutes or so (before the music changes for the scene transition) bears a resemblance to some of the stuff on GOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErnR_qCMxfY at least in my opinion, anyway.

-or in the track "Medula Oblongata", the first two minutes of this one or so as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuWIhaW_BfI reminds me of some of the driving beats at points in A Rapture, although Medula Oblongata is much faster paced, but they sound kinda similar to me.

There's a few other things, bits and pieces here and there really.

Also you are correct I'm not American, I am Australian (we use a lot of British spellings for things).

-Also, maybe you should be - Christopher Tin the Great, Destroyer of Worlds

Thanks for reminding me of that Fight Club stuff. Actually, in listening to Jack's Smirking Revenge, the latter half of that does sort of sound like God of Love (the song), with the Rhodes and distorted pads.

The thing about Dust Brothers productions is that a lot of the beats are actually taken from breakbeat vinyl records, so they pop up here and there. I was playing through one of those records once and said to myself 'Hey! Fight Club!'. Totally not a knock on the Dust Brothers. I mean, that's what they're known for (with Paul's Boutique and such)... sampling.

And as for destroyer of worlds, that reminds me of that line from the Bhagavad Gita that Oppenheimer quoted when he watched the first nuclear bomb go off.

Muahaha...

I didn't know that about the Dust Brothers, that's pretty cool. Actually I mean I reckon that's not so much of a knock on the Dust Brothers as it is a really cool thing, that they sample that stuff and you can listen to it and make that connection, I always think when you hear the stuff that influences other artists it can sometimes give you a deeper understanding or appreciation of their own work.

I love that line, and that Oppenheimer quoted it. You know, I always read that Oppenheimer actually learnt how to read Sanskrit so he could read the source texts, I always thought that was really damn cool of him.

Christopher,

My nephew came home from school last week and my brother told me that he was talking all about a group of performers that came to his school and preformed famous soundtracks, including Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, Super Mario Brothers, Halo, and even Baba Yetu. He told me all about his son hearing 'the song that Uncle Patrick always listens to on his computer' live. That made my day. Do you have anything to do with this?

Christopher,

My nephew came home from school last week and my brother told me that he was talking all about a group of performers that came to his school and preformed famous soundtracks, including Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, Super Mario Brothers, Halo, and even Baba Yetu. He told me all about his son hearing 'the song that Uncle Patrick always listens to on his computer' live. That made my day. Do you have anything to do with this?

Interesting! I have no idea what that could be. Uncle Patrick sure has good taste in music, though. :goodjob:

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but this seemed the best place for it rather than start yet another thread.

Firstly Christopher, if you're still lurking, Baba Yetu - beautiful piece of music. I hope you're not tired of people telling you that, you should be very proud. =)

Indeed it is such a nice piece of music that I managed to persuade a local choir I sing with, who have no idea what Civ is, to perform it in a few weeks time. I may even have ended up with the tenor solo. ^^ Which is why I'm searching the internet tonight; we're a bit short on native Swahili speakers up here in Yorkshire and I really don't want to fluff the pronunciation. If anyone else has performed it or taken the time to look at it in depth I'll take any pointers I can get.

Any help will be really appreciated.

James

Top Bottom