Civilization 5 and DLC

How will the availability of DLC affect your decision to buy Civ5?

• DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 78 30.4%
  • DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

Votes: 61 23.7%
  • I will not buy the game, because of DLC.

Votes: 27 10.5%

• Total voters

ori

Repair Guy
Retired Moderator
We have had some troubles keeping threads with polls about Steam and Downloadable Content (DLC) open due to extremely uncivil behavior by some posters.
So I think its time to open a poll each on these topics, accompanied by some words on conduct.

Everyone here is welcome to discuss the topic at hand in a civil manner and within forum rules. Any flaming, trolling or other attempts at disrupting the discussion is not welcome and this thread will be closely monitored.

So without further ado: lets discuss the topic. For the purpose of this thread DLC means any paid for downloadable content offered aside from genuine expansion packs.
What do you think about the DLC so far announced (additional map for preordering, arguably additional Civilization for digital deluxe edition)? Are you prepared to buy DLC (assuming it offers something you like to add to your game)? How do you think it will affect modding? Does it matter at all?

The poll will read as follows, I have tried to capture all likely sentiments, If you feel some option is missing, please let me know, I can still add options, if they are not already covered.

Code:
DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.
DLC makes me more likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I may buy DLC.
DLC will not affect my decision to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.
DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I will NOT buy DLC.

I will not buy the game, because of DLC.

Edit:
So far there are two separate DLC packages announced:
1) Behind the Scenes feature + Game Soundtrack + Babylon Civilization as part of the Digital Deluxe Edition
2) Extra Map of the fertile crescent for any game preordered through Steam

No additional DLC has been announced and it is so far unknown whether any is planned.

I will buy the game. Not planning on buying the Deluxe Edition, but may buy other DLC depending on price/content.

I'd rather buy the expansion packs which from what it looks like will probably be just a collection of old DLC with a few extras

DLC will not influence my decision to buy the game, but there is very little chance that I will buy DLC. Since I graduate from lawschool in one month from now I am looking for a job, and if I get one with a good salary so that I can actually afford to buy things like DLC, and there is some quality DLC to buy, then I may get that. I would infinitely prefer expansion packs though.

If i bought civ (which i will not), i would not buy it.
DLC will partially ruin the gaming culture, small pieces of content will lead to a split in the gamer community and it will encourage the developers to sell the stuff overpriced.

DLC of a fluff and not game changing nature, would not affect my decision to buy the game. It is unlikely I would buy any.
There is however, potential that DLC could negatively impact future decisions to buy product from the developer and publisher.

I was once a fan of the card game Magic the Gathering. New Magic expansions were frequently released. If you didn't keep up with these expansions, you were at a notable disadvantage. New cards where so uber and game changing, that the ability to buy stuff, trumped ability to play the game. I dropped the game, and all Magic products fell off my radar. I looked at new products from WOC with suspicion.

I don't expect that Civ would follow that model. But I don't understand DLC in the context of Civ's modability. If not for mods, my passion for Civ would not be near the same. If DLC restricted modding, it would likely have a notable impact on my desire to purchase Civ. I do support traditional expansion packs though. Everyones on the same page as relates to which expansion they are running.

Lets be clear here (Ori, please add this to the initial post); we have no info from Firaxis or 2K AFAIK that they even intend to have any DLC other than that built into the Deluxe Edition.
So this is all very hypothetical.

It also depends massively on what the DLC is. If its extra standalone scenarios and mods, then that's very different from something that affects the core game.

actually there is the Digital Deluxe version with Babylon and the preorder Steam version (regardless of whether its deluxe or standard) with the additional map - so its two separate parts, and I mentioned both in the OP...
I can be more explicit though.

Its important not to give a false picture; extra goodies on release is one thing. A string of Dragon Age-style for-purchase DLC is very different. And the latter is what most people think of when they hear DLC these days.

Dlc doesnt affect my choice to buy civ, and I will not buy any dlc. Im all for expansions at a later date, And as another poster said the way they may or may not go about doing dlc will affect my buying from them in the future. Only time will tell how it goes, but these things can make or break a game.

Its important not to give a false picture; extra goodies on release is one thing. A string of Dragon Age-style for-purchase DLC is very different. And the latter is what most people think of when they hear DLC these days.

I hope its clear now.

Obviously we won't know anything about Civ5 DLC until we're told. But maybe they wait to tell us until they have a better feel for how we'd react. Perhaps its still on the drawing board awaiting our input. Can't hurt to discuss it.

Again not enough information about the game to really say absolutely but heavily leaning toward not buying. I've never felt the need to buy downloadable content in other games and thats how it should be..making a cornerstone civ likes Bayblon DLC is a huge over reach IMHO and says a lot about the shape the customer-corporation relationship will take. I feel they have avoided the "provide aesthetics and special features" DLC path and gone for "milk the cows for all they are worth". Its sad and suggests Civ is no longer is good hands.

I am seriously worried a DLC marketplace will transform our free mod community into an pay to use "apps" store which will allow the company to police the types and content of mods available. If that is where this is all heading then we need to put our foot down and abort this baby before its born.

If you are talking micro-expansions like Sins of a Solar Empire then DLC would be great. If you are talking Horse Armour like Oblivion then not so good.

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude to Civ 5 DLC.

Again not enough information about the game to really say absolutely but heavily leaning toward not buying. I've never felt the need to buy downloadable content in other games and thats how it should be..making a cornerstone civ likes Bayblon DLC is a huge over reach IMHO and says a lot about the shape the customer-corporation relationship will take. I feel they have avoided the "provide aesthetics and special features" DLC path and gone for "milk the cows for all they are worth". Its sad and suggests Civ is no longer is good hands.

I am seriously worried a DLC marketplace will transform our free mod community into an pay to use "apps" store which will allow the company to police the types and content of mods available. If that is where this is all heading then we need to put our foot down and abort this baby before its born.

If you are talking micro-expansions like Sins of a Solar Empire then DLC would be great. If you are talking Horse Armour like Oblivion then not so good.

I'm adopting a wait and see attitude to Civ 5 DLC.

Both of these. My default position is that I will not buy the game until it is shown that paid for DLC either does not exist.

I'd rather buy the expansion packs which from what it looks like will probably be just a collection of old DLC with a few extras
This is pretty much my view. I'm getting the game, and unless it's a major disappointment, I will likely buy the expansion packs (if any come out; I've done so for civ3 and civ4) but I will not buy an expansion pack as DLC salami.

I have no objection to DLC in principle.
I will evaluate each offering on its merits and make a decision based on that.
My expectation is that I might buy reasonably priced Civilizations ($2-$4) that interest me but I am unlikely to buy DLC that is just graphical.

I am however nervous about the effect DLC could have on mods especially if any DLC contains gameplay changes. An open modding system with source code access to the core gameplay Dll as with Civ4 seems hard to reconcile with DLC that changes those same routines.

DLC makes me less likely to buy the game, I may buy DLC.

I am pretty much going to purchase Civilization V no matter what. However, if there is constant DLC then I will be much less enthused about it. As it is I'm not too happy about the Steam requirement, and then to throw this at us, too, is pretty annoying. I am going to be moving out here soon, so I may not be able to afford any DLC - and I'd hate to miss out on certain Civilization V features because of my income and because of a company's greed.

Whether or not I buy DLC depends on what it is. If it's something that I can do without, I will not purchase it. However, the fact that the Deluxe Edition (which I'm pretty much considering day-zero DLC) includes a civilization almost makes me forced to buy it... and at ten bucks extra, no less. It feels like a scam, and yet something I feel forced to purchase.

One DLC offering that I could see myself buying would be music packs.

We, the CivCom, have a wide variety of musical tastes. Some of the Civ4 music I liked the least, others liked the most. I disliked some of the modern stuff so much that I turned off the music altogether. Even the stuff I liked the most, quickly grew old. I might be willing to pay for a few music packs if I could find some I liked. Would be nice to have a variety to choose from. Steam is in better position to provide this content than our modders are.

Top Bottom