Goz-1, I left my wallet at home, but...

Turn 40: I sell open borders to Cathy for 50 gold, i also starve Gao for more production. I send the scarcher west to deal with the barb camp.

Turn 42: Barbarians come to Gao, i send the archer in tombouctu and move the threatened worker. The scarcher finds unexpected resistance at the camp and is forced to retreat.
Spoiler :

Turn 43: Masonry finishes and i move on to the wheel.

Turn 45: The spearman clears a barb camb for 75 gold. I sell cotton to Alex for 240 gold. (we will soon get a ton of luxes so there is no risk of unhappiness.)
Spoiler :

Turn 46: The spearman gains the shock 1 promotion

Turn 47: I send both archers to deal with the western barb camp.

Turn 48: GL finishes, I make the decision to buy a library in Tombouctu and start building the NC in Gao.
Spoiler :

During these turns Lizzy built York.
Spoiler :

This is our situation:
Spoiler :

Important things to decide are: Do we continue to build the NC? What do we research? What do we build in Tombouctu after the warrior? What should our next SP be?

(Don't ask me about the black dots in some of the pictures, I have no idea.)

Lurker's comment: Thanks for some pictures. Alexander looks cool with his war paint.
Which tech did you manage to get with the Great library?
And would it perhaps not be wise to build at least one military unit in Gao before building the National College? You seem to have some barbs threatening your improvements.
Oh, you might have forgotten the save, unless this wasn't your full set yet, of course.

Until I see the save, there's little I can say. But I'd keep going for the NC, finish wheel and get... well, something leading to the Mandekalus.

EDIT: As I already said, we need more units, what's Tombouctu building?

Sorry, forgot the save :)

A warrior will be finished in three turns in Tombouctu, i don't think i mentioned that. Also, I took philosophy with the GL.

Attachments

• Goz-1 T50.Civ5Save
    671.5 KB · Views: 112
Well, all is great enough then. :)

We have public holiday here today, so I've been busy.

Got the save and check it in the morning, it's evening here now so around 12 hrs from this post I give some response.

But all in all, we're ok. Only that Lizzy placed her city in the worst spot available on this map, it will have to go one day. Stupid AI.

I think Cap can continue on NC and Tomboucto builds another couple of warriors, then we're fine.

But we really need to do some scouting, maybe I slot in another scout.

Roster:

SLH- just played
jeffah -> UP
gozpel - next
JK
Sparthage busy atm

Ok, before the NC we should build a scout, there is so much land we haven't covered yet.

Not much else to say, except that we can trade one lux to Greece, we can always hook up the fur in the Cap, if we need it.

And when I go barbhunting, I prefer a warrior/archer combo, they take out the camps pretty quick. And as Songhai, we want to get as many camps as possible, 75g a pop. :) Maybe we should delay NC a little bit longer, so we can get a couple of warriors?

I personally vote that we finish the NC in Gao before building something else there. At our current research pace it will take us 75 turns to finish Chivalry which will give us Mandus at turn 125 which is too late imho. We could build a Scout in Tombouctu if necessary in 3 turns.

I think Horseback Riding is good for the next tech. We can prebuild some Horsemen to upgrade later and build Stables. Gao has 2 pastures already and will have another eventually. I suggest that when the NC finishes we build that, or maybe a Settler and then the Stable.

We will get a Social Policy in 8 turns, what should I take? Republic will speed building construction a bit while Representation will reduce the cost of policies if we found more cities and start a golden age. I hate to use the golden age now but I would like Representation before we found another city. I think it might work out well to take Republic first here.

Yep, I prefer Republic. And well, I agree with what you said.

Here is my summary from my turns:

Turn 50: Archers attack Barb Warrior in camp.

Turn 51: Archers kill Barb Warrior in camp.

Turn 52: We finish researching The Wheel!
Spoiler :
We begin researching Horseback Riding. Tombouctu has grown to size 3! Scarcher clears the Barb camp and we get 75 gold.

Turn 53: Tombouctu finishes the Warrior, we begin building a Scout. I switch Gao and Tombouctu to Default Focus to let them grow a bit.

Turn 54: Nothing much happens, I just move available units.

Turn 55: We meet Vienna, Cultural with Whales northwest of Gao.
Spoiler :

Turn 56: Uneventful, I just move units. My exploration has given me reason to believe that Gao may be on an inland sea and not the ocean, unfortunate.

Turn 57: Not much, just move units. I notice Rome is building quite a few units so we might want to keep an eye on them.

Turn 58: I adopt Republic as our next social policy, next one in 27 turns.

Turn 59: We finish researching Horseback Riding!
Spoiler :
I begin to research Mathematics. Scarcher discovers a Barb camp with a wounded Warrior and Archer north of Gao and a stolen Worker. Unfortunately there is a Russian Scout waiting to pounce if we kill the Warrior. He also pretty much confirms the inland sea theory :(.

Here is a look at the map around our homeland:
Spoiler :

We have an Archer and Warrior set to clear a Barb camp south of Gao next turn. There is another camp east near Sidon to clear as well. We can see the camp to the north but we cannot clear it without another unit.

Both Gao and Tombouctu will grow in 3 turns which will be nice. Tombouctu finishes a Scout in 2 turns and Gao finishes the NC in 3 turns. They are both getting developed and I started building a road to link them. I think Stables will be good for Gao and Tombouctu soon, especially Gao.

There appears to be substantial land to the west so I think Scarcher should head that way to explore. I think we will find another civ out that way.

Here are our demographics:
Spoiler :

Population is low but it will grow in 3 turns.
Crop Yield is low but should grow with our cities.
Manufactured Goods shows our solid production, which will only get stronger with Stables and Stone Works.
GNP is low but not worrisome due to Barb camp income.
Land is decent, a couple more cities will help there and we have plenty of room to settle.
Soldiers are decent but somewhat spread. Rome's military is worrisome although I doubt they could actually harm us.
Approval is low but not an issue.
Science is our greatest asset and will only get stronger after the NC is finished. We should be able to exploit a tech lead to rampage later.

Attachments

• GozAskia_0060 BC-1600.Civ5Save
    703.2 KB · Views: 113
Ah, precisely what I was fearing after my turns: Inland Sea. It was pretty clear, but we could always hope.

Good job, jeffeh! :)

I agree with most of your builds, but until I check the situation, I won't agree fully until I've checked the save. I will check it tomorrow and copy/pasting jeffah's ideas, I can take a good look at the situation.

But good turns indeed, to get pop up and finding the route to kill barbs. :)

Techs are discussible in the long run.

Bbtomorrow. :)

I think a stable and stone works would both be good buildings in the cap, and maybe a water mill in Tombouctu. Unless you feel that we need more military

I think a stable and stone works would both be good buildings in the cap, and maybe a water mill in Tombouctu. Unless you feel that we need more military

I agree with this. Gao will be a production powerhouse with these buildings. Do we want to work in a Settler soon or wait until we get Representation and buildings built?

I think we are well set with military for now. Once we have Gao set up I think we can start building Horsemen or wait a bit for Mandus. Not much point in building Warriors or Archers if we aren't going to go for Iron or X-bows anytime soon.

England should be a pushover but I worry a bit about Caesar backstabbing us around then. There are a lot of Horses to the west so we may want to put our third city there so we can crank out more Mandus and hit Caesar after Lizzy. He seems set on REXing so he might plop down some attractive cities that we can steal from him. This map I think just screams for a wide empire and some early rampaging. We might have to take a little happiness hit for all the puppets but we should be able to recover fine. Maybe use a free Great Engineer from Liberty or the Hagia Sophia to nab Notre Dame for the happiness boost to allow us to keep conquering.

Lurker's comment: It looks like you have quite a big back yard, which is nice with Songhai's ability. ;)
I saw Jeffah did a good job at keeping your still little towns growing, and not putting a citizen on the gold or something.
You can always put a town on 'production focus' or 'gold focus' to have the new born citizen drop on a tile like that, as food doesn't get counted anymore for a new born citizen, just gold and production, but then you have to remind yourself to take him off there immediately if you want your town to continue growing.
Even with all the overrun in Civ 5, micro management is still helpful for playing efficiently. Not strictly needed on this level, though.

A slight bummer that you're on an inland sea, you can forget about building ships in Gao now.

I wrote an introduction to Succession Games, a bit overdue, but that's at the top of the SG thread now, for if people are still looking for a bit of reference about SG's.

Yeah, it was pretty necessary to switch things around in order to try to squeeze in some growth while still building decently. Once we finish improving tiles and get the Stables and Stone Works up we should be able to get a very good balance of food and production from the Stone, Cow, and Horse tiles. Right now it is more of an either/or situation though.

One thing I wanted to mention that I forgot about earlier is about using our big backyard to our advantage. Usually it is good to fogbust to avoid barb spawns but with our trait we should probably try to intentionally allow camps to spawn. Every camp that spawns is extra gold and xp. Just something to keep in mind when we are moving units around.

Top Bottom