Hebrew civilization. Play as Solomon!

Solver

Mohawk Games Designer
Here's a mod adding the Hebrew civilization to Civ5. It's fully playable, so feel free to enjoy, or to use it as an example of implementing a new civ, whichever you please

The mod can be downloaded from the mod browser in-game (called Hebrew Civilization), or it can be downloaded directly.

Hebrews

Leader: Solomon
Trait: Wisdom. +50% Great People birth rates until Archaeology is discovered.
Unique Unit: Slinger. A slightly cheaper Archer.
Unique Building: Synagogue. A Temple that also gives a small (+10%) boost to science output.

The idea here is that the Hebrews are mostly a builder-oriented civ, with their Great People bonuses and the Synagogue. Slingers are cheaper than Archers, so you can get them out quicker in a pinch, although that can also be used to fuel an early offense. Solomon's AI personality will prefer to build up his land and gain technology, rarely being aggressive.

Issues:
- I am really bad with graphics, so the civ and leader icons are noticeably amateurish. Apologies in advance for that, I just suck at it
- If an AI civ is Hebrew, it will use the leader scene for Ramesses. Civ5 currently crashes when attempting to use a leader scene with a fixed static background, so an existing scene has to be used for the time being.
- There are no new unit/building graphics for the mod.

Attachments

• hebrews1.jpg
    hebrews1.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 5,940
  • hebrews2.jpg
    hebrews2.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 4,789
  • hebrews3.jpg
    hebrews3.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 4,827
ive had a go with it, and its COMPLETELY AWESOME
great work!!!

One thing...You have a minor mistake in the Civilopedia. Babylonians destroyed the 1st temple, not the second. Second temple was destroyed by the Romans.

Duh! Yes, of course, dunno how I got those confused. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the symbol should be changed to the star of david. I mean if the civ was maccabees or whatever then that would be cool lol.

I think the symbol should be changed to the star of david. I mean if the civ was maccabees or whatever then that would be cool lol.

Great job on the new civ -- very playable both as Solomon and against. I can't wait to see a lot more of these hit soon.

Agree on the Star of David -- but I wouldn't go out of my way to make that change. Also, on the city banner, it is showing the American logo instead of a custom Hebrew symbol.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Solomon was king in the ancient Kingdom of Israel. The civ is largely based on that ancient kingdom, with an ancient UU as well. The Star of David was not in use then, it's a much more recent symbol, and it didn't begin to represent the Jews as a whole until a few centuries ago, so I don't really see how the Star of David would fit here, although it is, of course, the most recognizable Jewish symbol today.

For the sake of consistency, I'd call this Civilization "Judea".

Note, ingame it's not "Augustus Caesar - Romans", but "Augustus Caesar - Rome".

Great job, looks nice! We need to get some voice actors here on CFC for these dawn of man dialogs.

I like Hebrew as the name, better than judea, its a civilisation not a kingdom. Although 'the Hebrews' might be better than Hebrews for grammatical reasons.
Hebrews sounds nicer, and academics refer not to the kingdom or nation of anything, but to the Hebrews so its a good name. but mostly, it sounds good.

But the reason for posting again is i found a bug, one of the city names shows up as its address, TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KIRJATH_SEPHER shows up as that in game. atleast for me anyway.
Again awesome civ! and the flag is awesome too.

My reasoning for the civilization's name:

I know Hebrew is a language, though it's kinda weird in English. The language is called ivrit (עברית) which is a separate word from ivrim (עברים), which refers to the people. The country in Solomon's time was the Kingdom of Israel, whereas Judea is typically used to refer to the geographical region, not a country. Didn't want to call the civ Israel because that might make it appear to some like a modern version. Hebrews seem to me a pretty good way of summing up the ethnic group, the actual civilization, from those ancient times to modern descendants.

But yes, terminology related to this is quite complicated. Hebrews, Jews, Israelites, all those are terms with subtle differences but then there are those who argue about these terms as well. For instance, among Jews today the question of who can be called a Jew is often controversial.

It is sometimes a bit finnicky. Try entering Hebrew in the search field if it doesn't show up under the "Civilizations" category.

My reasoning for the civilization's name:

I know Hebrew is a language, though it's kinda weird in English. The language is called ivrit (עברית) which is a separate word from ivrim (עברים), which refers to the people. The country in Solomon's time was the Kingdom of Israel, whereas Judea is typically used to refer to the geographical region, not a country. Didn't want to call the civ Israel because that might make it appear to some like a modern version. Hebrews seem to me a pretty good way of summing up the ethnic group, the actual civilization, from those ancient times to modern descendants.

But yes, terminology related to this is quite complicated. Hebrews, Jews, Israelites, all those are terms with subtle differences but then there are those who argue about these terms as well. For instance, among Jews today the question of who can be called a Jew is often controversial.

I think the name is great, I'd go with Bamah (Alter) instead of synagog though to capture the ancient time kingdom of Israel's house of worships.

Any chance of seeing new 3D units \ leader in this ? I'd love to try and help with this.

Yeah there are a lot of unique buildings possible. I also considered yeshiva because it seems really appropriate.

From what I understand, creating a leader scene in 3D is very difficult. For now I'd just love to properly make a 2D leader ;) Anyhow, I have no ability to create graphics, but if someone wants to have a stab at making any graphics for this, I'd be more than happy to include that.

It is sometimes a bit finnicky. Try entering Hebrew in the search field if it doesn't show up under the "Civilizations" category.

I have an issue with mod navigator, the list just disappears in a few secs and I can't download mods. Do you know what can be?

Top Bottom