Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVFANATICS > Site Feedback

Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:53 AM   #61
azzaman333
Let's Reset It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valka D'Ur View Post
So have you offered any practical advice to Thunderfall, then? Or are you just here to bellow at him to get it fixed, and by the way, don't allow anybody else to express a little humor at the situation?
I know nothing about running a forum, so I would be unable to give any practical advice. However, I do know that the level of downtime here is well beyond an acceptable level, and if it's not fixed, people will stop coming back.

Quote:
Humor can work wonders at keeping one's blood pressure down. That's one way I dealt with unruly infractees - I would take "humor breaks" to keep myself from saying some really angry things.
Maybe if the server downtime was at a reasonable level, it would be humorous. But none of the suggestions are even remotely funny enough to maintain a lolfactor with the current level of downtime that CFC experiences, and would quite likely cause people to become annoyed by server is down messages than they already are.
azzaman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:00 AM   #62
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzaman333 View Post
I know nothing about running a forum, so I would be unable to give any practical advice. However, I do know that the level of downtime here is well beyond an acceptable level, and if it's not fixed, people will stop coming back.
We're aware of that fact.
Thunderfall isn't aware of it, and obviously when moderators email him it will only be fixed till the next time.
If you really want a change, then complain to him via email. If there are enough people complaining, it might maybe help.
If not, then this forum is lost.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:16 AM   #63
NickyJ
Retired Narrator

Quote:
Not once have I thought to myself, oh gee, I'd be less annoyed with the server being down if only the server is down message was some mildly amusing civ-related joke.
Yeah, but does a little humor really hurt that much?

Quote:
CFC is by far the least reliable of the forums I post on. It's simply not good enough.
Go to TBN, and you will realize that you are so, SO wrong.
Witness an ordinary user on an ordinary forum posting with other ordinary users. At least, it may seem like an ordinary user to these other users. But what they don't realize is that this user registered to the site from the Twilight Zone.
NickyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #64
downtown
Crafternoon Delight

Somebody stoled our camera, pants, and server
downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:24 AM   #65
Valka D'Ur
Hosting Iron Pen in A&E

Considering the "around the world" photography project we've got going in OT, that first bit is not funny.
Valka D'Ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:06 PM   #66
nonconformist
Miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
We're aware of that fact.
Thunderfall isn't aware of it, and obviously when moderators email him it will only be fixed till the next time.
If you really want a change, then complain to him via email. If there are enough people complaining, it might maybe help.
If not, then this forum is lost.
Eh, to be honest, this forum seems to discourage complaining about anything to the powers that be.

I ate the bacon already. I could smell it in your purse before I even parked my car. And now itís gone and I hate everything.

Allez Les Bleus!
World Cup 2011
nonconformist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:45 PM   #67
hoplitejoe
no1 hanson fan

And when a mod does post on a suggestion thread he doesn't even address the suggestion itself.
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du
Yeah
hoplitejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:37 PM   #68
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Don't have any suggestions, but the one turn anarchy sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconformist View Post
Eh, to be honest, this forum seems to discourage complaining about anything to the powers that be.
mmmhh? I'm encouraging that you complain.
It's just so that no one from the powers that be who could actually change anything (well...only TF) is reading that thread. If you want to complain (and you should), then you have to do it via email.

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:49 PM   #69
Abaddon
Deity

Quote:
Considering the "around the world" photography project we've got going in OT, that first bit is not funny.
If you don't understand the reference, you shouldn't consider yourself a proper CFCer.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:59 PM   #70
azzaman333
Let's Reset It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyJ View Post
Yeah, but does a little humor really hurt that much?
I can't see any of the suggestions being remotely humorous when I'm trying to post and unable to because the server sucks balls. If anything I'd probably find it more annoying.

Quote:
Go to TBN, and you will realize that you are so, SO wrong.
How can I be wrong? I don't post there so it's completely irrelevant to my point that CFC is by far the least reliable forum that I post on. The only reason I tolerate the poor server reliability is because I've invested too much time into this place to just leave.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:35 PM   #71
hoplitejoe
no1 hanson fan

Has someone had too much sour candy?
Ba du bop, ba duba dop
Ba du
Yeah
hoplitejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:04 PM   #72
Terrance888
Discordian Mod

If you are from Apolyton, I warn you that the Server Empire has built the Great Wall!

If you are not, then please wait while we get our gates unjammed. Take a walk or something.

civilization scattered like so many embers waiting for a breeze
Terrance888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 PM   #73
PeteAtoms
FormulaRandom

I would suggest a line about a spy sabotaging the server, but people might take it seriously as some sort of hacker.
"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace." - Old Tart Toter
PeteAtoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:01 PM   #74
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

A spy poisoned the server's water supply. Please wait until it stops starving to death.
My Stories: The terrain-unwise Romans (Won), The Conquests (In Progress, 6/9 Complete- 4 Wins, 2 Losses) SG History: Won: (My first SG)For newbies n's Religiously Wonderful SG Hawk01-5CC Regent Training Game Hawk02-Japan The 5 Sacred Cities Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts Lost: qoou's 3CC AW Monarch
"FONT SIZE MAKES THE ARGUMENT MORE CORRECT" -DNK, in size 5 font
"The buttocks of the Pharaoh were feared from Carthage to India!" - Traitorfish
choxorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:09 PM   #75
NickyJ
Retired Narrator

Quote:
I can't see any of the suggestions being remotely humorous when I'm trying to post and unable to because the server sucks balls. If anything I'd probably find it more annoying.
It would really be that much more annoying? Heck, I rarely even read the messages anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitejoe View Post
Has someone had too much sour candy?
Yeah, it would seem so.
Witness an ordinary user on an ordinary forum posting with other ordinary users. At least, it may seem like an ordinary user to these other users. But what they don't realize is that this user registered to the site from the Twilight Zone.
NickyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:29 PM   #76
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

Quote:
How can I be wrong? I don't post there so it's completely irrelevant to my point that CFC is by far the least reliable forum that I post on. The only reason I tolerate the poor server reliability is because I've invested too much time into this place to just leave.
Some weeks ago, the server my forum was on was being attacked by DDoS'ers. It would go down constantly. Compared CFC is a breeze.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some form of DDoS going on though. A few months ago my site kept going down because they were attacking the webhost server. Then they put in better protection and it hasnt gone down in awhile now.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:39 PM   #77
Valka D'Ur
Hosting Iron Pen in A&E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
If you don't understand the reference, you shouldn't consider yourself a proper CFCer.
Do you understand every in-joke?

Whatever that refers to, it's something that either happened before I got active in OT or it happened in a thread I didn't happen to read.
Valka D'Ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 09:52 PM   #78
choxorn
Advice Dog Zombie

I don't know every injoke, but I don't get how you can spend much time in OT and not hear about the video camera and pants.

For reference, the origin of that joke.
My Stories: The terrain-unwise Romans (Won), The Conquests (In Progress, 6/9 Complete- 4 Wins, 2 Losses) SG History: Won: (My first SG)For newbies n's Religiously Wonderful SG Hawk01-5CC Regent Training Game Hawk02-Japan The 5 Sacred Cities Hawk03-5CC Persian Astronauts Lost: qoou's 3CC AW Monarch
"FONT SIZE MAKES THE ARGUMENT MORE CORRECT" -DNK, in size 5 font
"The buttocks of the Pharaoh were feared from Carthage to India!" - Traitorfish
choxorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:13 PM   #79
azzaman333
Let's Reset It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyJ View Post
It would really be that much more annoying? Heck, I rarely even read the messages anymore.
Point being, this would not be of any benefit to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeandbeatles View Post
Some weeks ago, the server my forum was on was being attacked by DDoS'ers. It would go down constantly. Compared CFC is a breeze.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was some form of DDoS going on though. A few months ago my site kept going down because they were attacking the webhost server. Then they put in better protection and it hasnt gone down in awhile now.
A) DDOS attacks tend to prevent anyone getting onto the website, so they wouldn't be able to see the "Server Is Busy" message if we were being DDOSed.
B) The length and frequency of downtimes are not consistent with other DDOS attacks I have experienced.
C) Even if it is DDOS attacks, nothing is being done to fix the problem.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:09 AM   #80
Abaddon
Deity

Quote:
Do you understand every in-joke?

Whatever that refers to, it's something that either happened before I got active in OT or it happened in a thread I didn't happen to read.
I can't imagine there is much i've missed on CFC, especially OT, so yes, I do.

It's a cfc meme, so when it happened is pretty irrelevant since as this thread shows, it is still being used.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote