The Great Game: Rise and Fall of Empires

do you have any idea what their uniforms would look like?

I'm afraid not. The Zinglins were basically Faustin's band of thugs that were upgraded to a paramilitary force for the purposes of acting as enforcers of the regime. They probably would have looked vaguely like a military force, but with some irregularities, much like many paramilitary and militia forces today. Here is a picture of the actual Haitian military uniform of the era to use as a base if you want.

However, I did think of another potential unit for Haiti. When you referred to the civilization specifically as the "Empire of Haiti" my immediate thought was that the units would have to come from the ~10 year log reign of Faustin, which severely limits possibilities. However, since your mod goes just until the First World War, you have a few more options like the Cacos, or peasant armies, that formed to raid and resist the United States occupation. Unfortunately, the come in right at the very end of the mod.

This period of relative stability and prosperity ended in 1911, when revolution broke out and the country slid once again into disorder and debt. From 1911 to 1915, there were six different Presidents, each of whom was killed or forced into exile.[16] The revolutionary armies were formed by cacos, peasant brigands from the mountains of the north, along the porous Dominican border, who were enlisted by rival political factions with promises of money to be paid after a successful revolution and an opportunity to plunder.

I do have a photograph of them.

Thanks for the info, both the Zinglins and the Cacos work for me. I wanted at least one uu to represent the Empire of Haiti, the same with the Empire of Mexico, but both of them were short lived and countries histories is much longer, and its better not to have both the nations UU in the same short time period.
I'll try to show a preview in a few hours of the Zinglins.
updated the first post.

A preview of all the units I've finished rendering or am rendering now.

Qing Rifleman, Early Greek Rifleman (may be UU, but I don't know the name of that regiment), Generic Rifleman, Madagscar Rifleman, Persian Camel Artillery, and Haitian Zinglins

These are looking great!

I'm pretty interested in the era (and not to brag, but also fairly knowledgeable) so I'll try to stick around and provide more information whenever I can.

These are looking great!

I'm pretty interested in the era (and not to brag, but also fairly knowledgeable) so I'll try to stick around and provide more information whenever I can.
I'll send you a PM for help

Here are some quick pix of marine units (ca. 1885-1910). The British Royal Marines also wore pith helmets similar to the French.

Attachments

• frenchmarines.jpg
    frenchmarines.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 55
  • royalmarines.jpg
    royalmarines.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 74
  • usmarines.jpg
    usmarines.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 87
Having some trouble coming up with a good unique unit for Colombia. One of the largest issues with the Colombia is that they were in a state of near constant civil war between the liberals and the conservatives throughout most of this mod, and as a result the military was very factionalized rather than organized, providing little opportunity to find A) specialized units and B) uniforms. Not quite historically accurate, but what I have come up with is the "Golgotas". These were mostly citizens of merchant background that tended to support federalism and were usually some of the most powerful members of the Liberal Party. They had a tendency to start rebellions whenever the conservatives would get any power and try to impose centralization and state Catholicism. As I stated, this is more of a faction than a military unit, but they did engage in military activities throughout the period regularly. I suppose it would be sort like having an American unit from the period named "Yankee" or something. If I can find anything better I'll let you know. I specifically chose a liberal faction as the unit since Tomás Cipriano was a liberal.

Another more gruesome choice is some sort of child soldier, which were exceptionally common during all of the the Colombian Civil Wars. Even if you don't use them, here is a picture of some soldiers to at least use for uniforms. Mind you, these are from the later Thousand Days War (1899-1902), not the earlier Colombian Civil War mentioned above, though I imagine parts of the uniform would be similar.

Here is some other images from the Thousand Days War, which is by far the conflict with the most images available.

On the question of UUs in general:

Mino - Dahomey Amazon Regiment

Although Dahomey is not specifically one of your civs such a unit might be worth considering.
If I get around to it, I can either make them barbarians.
Is there a way to make sure a unit can only be made in a specific city? Or a building can only be made in a certain city? If I make a Dohomey resource, it could be built in Paris if there is a road connecting them or a harbor right? If there is a way to make sure it is only in that specific city, then maybe I can make Dohomey mercenaries, or a building that makes the unit, like Dohomey Trading Post.

Having some trouble coming up with a good unique unit for Colombia. One of the largest issues with the Colombia is that they were in a state of near constant civil war between the liberals and the conservatives throughout most of this mod, and as a result the military was very factionalized rather than organized, providing little opportunity to find A) specialized units and B) uniforms. Not quite historically accurate, but what I have come up with is the "Golgotas". These were mostly citizens of merchant background that tended to support federalism and were usually some of the most powerful members of the Liberal Party. They had a tendency to start rebellions whenever the conservatives would get any power and try to impose centralization and state Catholicism. As I stated, this is more of a faction than a military unit, but they did engage in military activities throughout the period regularly. I suppose it would be sort like having an American unit from the period named "Yankee" or something. If I can find anything better I'll let you know. I specifically chose a liberal faction as the unit since Tomás Cipriano was a liberal.

Another more gruesome choice is some sort of child soldier, which were exceptionally common during all of the the Colombian Civil Wars. Even if you don't use them, here is a picture of some soldiers to at least use for uniforms. Mind you, these are from the later Thousand Days War (1899-1902), not the earlier Colombian Civil War mentioned above, though I imagine parts of the uniform would be similar.

Here is some other images from the Thousand Days War, which is by the conflict with the most images available.

Those look like some good since the Golgotas belong to Cipriano's faction. Was there a conservative group that also rebelled? I can make them barbarians inside Colombia's territory.
I'll think about the child soldiers. If I make them I think it would be better if they were auto-produced by a wonder.

Perhaps Columbia should be 2 Civs then, locked in war. UUs could be different militia units for each side.

Best,

Oz
Unfortunately I'm already at the 31 civ limit (why did they make a limit?!?! :mad: ) and adding another Colombia civ would be near the bottom of my choices for another civ.

Those look like some good since the Golgotas belong to Cipriano's faction. Was there a conservative group that also rebelled? I can make them barbarians inside Colombia's territory.

As far as I know there wasn't a conservative group with a specific name (I would just name them conservative militias or something). There was the Draconianos who were the traditional rivals of the Golgotas for power within the Liberal Party though. While the Golgotas were merchants who favored free trade policies, the Draconianos were artisans and manufacturers who favored protectionist policies. At times these groups even openly fought (and sometimes even allied with the Conservatives against one another) but were ultimately both Liberals. I originally chose the Golgotas over the Draconianos since, all things considered, they were the more powerful of the two.

@bombshoo, I could just make the rebels "Colombian Rebels"

Considering there were so many opposition groups, that is probably actually more accurate. I would even go as far as to make them the same unit as whatever Colombia ends up with, as they would likely be using the same uniforms and weapons most of the time.

Top Bottom