Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1581
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

Expansion time for Civilization 5, apparently.

They are reworking the combat system, apparently, as well as the AI. They are also bringing back religion and espionage. Hopefully they'll bring the game more in line with cIV. The sub par global happiness system seems to be intact however.

Looks like a mixed bag so far. Still, to be fair, I'll wait and see.
John 3:16 (KJV)

Last edited by Thormodr; Feb 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Thormodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1582
Sarda
Diety

I'm sure as hell not preordering this one like 5, not making that mistake twice. I'll still get the xpac after it releases, if Sulla gives it a amazing review.
Sarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1583
gaiko
Warlord

There is no way they could alter the global happiness system without also changing the military unit mechanics (lift the 1UPT limit). Happiness acts to limit pop growth, which limits production potential, which limits units. Otherwise carpet of doom.

The two are wedded at the hip like Siamese twins. This design (flaw) is just too basic to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thormodr View Post

They are reworking the combat system, apparently, as well as the AI. They are also bringing back religion and espionage. Hopefully they'll bring the game more in line with cIV. The sub par global happiness system seems to be intact however.

gaiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1584
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiko View Post
There is no way they could alter the global happiness system without also changing the military unit mechanics (lift the 1UPT limit). Happiness acts to limit pop growth, which limits production potential, which limits units. Otherwise carpet of doom.

The two are wedded at the hip like Siamese twins. This design (flaw) is just too basic to the game.
You are probably right. The expansion will likely just add onto an already flawed foundation.

Perhaps the source DLL will save the day...

Last edited by Thormodr; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1585
jamaicagator
Chieftain

I haven't read the whole thread. I assume the main problems (read: AI) have been covered. The fundamental changes (e.g., no stacking, no religion, no health, etc.) are obviously debatable, but I don't blame them for trying new things.

One thing I suspect has been brought up but annoys me enough that I'd like to bring it up again just in case is the inability to zoom all the way out on the map and see the entire map (or at least an entire hemisphere).
jamaicagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1586
Bad Brett
King

Quote:
The cornerstone of religion is a new currency called faith. Faith is used to purchase beliefs, which are small benefits that shape your nation's religion.
Another SP tree? Sounds exciting!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1587
headcase
Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

There are only 1, 2, and later 5 slots for Beliefs, so I doubt there are any trees. Faith also pops special buildings.

War Academy (Tips) - F9 for demographics - Ctrl+R for resource view
headcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1588
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

Supposing that this expansion costs $40, what will the total damage for Civilization 5 be exactly? I imagine it will be around $150+ *Ouch*
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1589
Camikaze
Deity

The expansion has been announced to cost $30, not $40. And I believe your pricing theory has been addressed by others in the past.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:41 AM   #1590
Scarlet_King
Deity

Quote:

Yay. I'm so glad to hear that they're adding more mechanics for the AI, which has been proven to not be able to handle current mechanics.
CivOasis: I was once known as John Monday, but that's not my legal name in any sense of the word
CivOasis: Well, I was talking about a potential date, using non-gender specific terms (not intentionally, just how I tend to write), and RC's response was "who is he?"
CivOasis: WHY there are so many jobs for Korean-speakers is a different question
CivOasis: So you're the metal rod that nobody likes to play with?
Scarlet_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1591
headcase
Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Quote:
What will the total damage for Civilization 5 be exactly? I imagine it will be around $150+ *Ouch*
Depends on how much each individual is willing to pay. The game with all DLC sold for around $20 or $30 last Christmas. Personally I bought the game for $40 and none of the DLC yet.

War Academy (Tips) - F9 for demographics - Ctrl+R for resource view
headcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:30 AM   #1592
Glassmage
The Desert Flame

I will buy this expansion full price because I'm a sheep.
Glassmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1593
SpyGuy77
Chieftain

I wish there was a wb (i know im cheap but still!) because i sometimes dont like waiting for resoures and sometimes the AI declares war for no reason with a really bad miliatary and i conquer them easily. Bah stupid AI
SpyGuy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:04 PM   #1594
Thormodr
Servant of Civ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camikaze View Post
The expansion has been announced to cost $30, not $40. And I believe your pricing theory has been addressed by others in the past.
I'll give credit to them for pricing it at $30. That's more in line with BTS. Perhaps they've seen the light to some extent.

They seem to be adding some interesting things but if the core game is still flawed, it'll be like putting whipped cream on a pile of sawdust.

Definitely will be the first Civ product that I wait and observe for a long, long time before even considering buying it though.

If the source code is finally released so that modders can do their thing and this expansion is on sale, I'll consider picking it up.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1595
logintime
Warlord

Well, I'll give them credit for working on what looks like an actual expansion, complete with new gameplay mechanics, rather than simply putting together a bunch of cheap DLCs and labeling it an expansion.

On the other hand, many of these features should by all rights have been in the game at release. It's great to see religion and espionage coming back, but it emphasizes how wrong Shafer's vision of what the game ought to be truly was.

I'll be honest though, Civ5 has put such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not liable to pick this up even if it does end up being decently received. The base mechanics of the game are still terribly flawed (research being tied to pop, global happiness, 1upt, etc.) and while there seems to be some lip-service to improved diplomacy, it looks like their emphasis is still on diplomacy with city states instead of with other Civs.

We'll see, ultimately. It's too early to tell and I'll be very judicious about approaching this xpac. It looks like a step in the right direction... but a step this game really shouldn't have had to take to begin with.
logintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:32 PM   #1596
Aristos
Lightseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by logintime View Post
it emphasizes how wrong Shafer's vision of what the game ought to be truly was.
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

Now more than ever, I am sure that he was fired last year, and rightly so. Even the company is showing how wrong the initial vision was (and parts of it still are), and who else to point to than little Joni? Even then, some insist on defending him... anyways, time is the most relentless judge of them all.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:46 AM   #1597
JesusOnEez
Emperor

I have to say, although I think CiV ruined the empire building part of the game for <insert Sullla's rant> reasons, some masochistic side of me still wants this game to succeed and be good, and I'm hoping this expansion will be the antidote to the boredom CiV provides me with currently. I'll probably buy it, love it for ten minutes, then decide it still sucks and go back to CIV again having wasted more money.

I'm a sucker like that.
JesusOnEez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:36 AM   #1598
LegionSteve
Motörhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarda View Post
I'm sure as hell not preordering this one like 5, not making that mistake twice. I'll still get the xpac after it releases, if Sulla gives it a amazing review.
Same here. I knew there would be bugs in Civ 5 that would require patches, that's normal, and I decided to pre-order anyway. Well... I was expecting bugs, not a badly designed game that was barely half-finished.

This time I will do what I should have done before, wait for a few patches to fix the worst of the bugs and then look for it in a steam sale.
LegionSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1599
Brichals
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionSteve View Post
Same here. I knew there would be bugs in Civ 5 that would require patches, that's normal, and I decided to pre-order anyway. Well... I was expecting bugs, not a badly designed game that was barely half-finished.

This time I will do what I should have done before, wait for a few patches to fix the worst of the bugs and then look for it in a steam sale.
That's always a good idea nowadays, but I think to be fair they patched Civ5 into a half decent state relatively fast and they are showing good support now. So the game might be lacking but Civ3 and Civ4 vanilla were nothing like the expanded versions also.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1600
RD-BH
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by logintime View Post
... but it emphasizes how wrong Shafer's vision of what the game ought to be truly was.
I'm not convinced of this point.
I think someone just needed to temper his vision with FUN 8)
RD-BH is offline   Reply With Quote