Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Hammer Rabbi
Deity

Borgia and Civ V

No this isnt a direct topic to Civ V but I was reminded of elements of Civ V by this.

For those who have netflix (a streaming option) there is this TV series that evidently they produce. It isnt a show on another channel that they license the rights to but an actual Netflix original program. It's called Borgia and is a drama about the ascension of Borgia to the papal throne. It is set in 1492 Rome and deals with their papal/City State politics.

fair warning, it isnt for children (nudity and violense). it also isnt meant to be 100% historically accurate. but after watching the first episode i think the show has potential. some of the acting was just okay but it wasnt horrible. the guy that wrote it (Tom Fontana) also wrote Oz and Homicide: Life on the Streets. Seeing the Machiavellian politics portrayed was at least entertaining as an example of what might be going through the minds of CS's when I am in a game.

Of course none of this is anything other than romanticizing the game as I dont think CS ai goes any deeper than math calculations/responses. But I thought it worth mentioning for anyone else who might like historical fictional dramas.

And no, this isnt some kind of endorsement or spam ad for any of the topics mentioned. I just found this relate-able to these forums. I'm hoping "General Discussion" can also mean tv shows and what not so long as there is at least SOME connection to the game, not just elements of gameplay only.
Hammer Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
gozpel
Couch-potato (fortified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Rabbi View Post
fair warning, it isnt for children (nudity and violense).
You shouldn't have mentioned that, now all the kids will be looking for it.

First when I read your post, I thought about Bjorn Borg, attack him with whatever you have, it comes back 3-fold. Like a mini Chuck Norris he was, good old Bjorn.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:27 AM   #3
muhtesem insan
Amateur Revolutionary

I believe the show's called The Borgias.

Ask A Turkish Citizen
muhtesem insan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Kilroy Was Here
Chieftain

And it's a Showtime series, not Netflix. Netflix is exclusively a streaming service and produces nothing of their own.
Kilroy Was Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:32 AM   #5
The_J
Say No 2 Net Validations

Not sure to which Borgias you're referring to (there's a european film, split up into 6 parts, and an american series, which is longer; I only saw the former), but I got also a sort of "Civilization feeling" while watching it.
It's about history, politics, war and intrigues. -> It's fantastic .

Steam eats the souls of little gamers!!!
The_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Aristos
Lightseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
Not sure to which Borgias you're referring to (there's a european film, split up into 6 parts, and an american series, which is longer; I only saw the former), but I got also a sort of "Civilization feeling" while watching it.
I didn't watch the show yet, but from what you are saying, it's more like a "Crusader Kings II" feeling...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #7
muhtesem insan
Amateur Revolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristos View Post
I didn't watch the show yet, but from what you are saying, it's more like a "Crusader Kings II" feeling...
more like a "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" feeling

Ask A Turkish Citizen
muhtesem insan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Aristos
Lightseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhtesem insan View Post
more like a "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" feeling

I don't know, because I did not watch it yet, but I took J's words as a guide: war, politics, intrigue... --> CK II (check out the initial reactions at Paradox forums)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Hammer Rabbi
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy Was Here View Post
Netflix is exclusively a streaming service and produces nothing of their own.
Wrong. read the news or bury your head in the sand. either way im right.

Moderator Action: This is getting a touch testy. Warned for minor trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by Camikaze; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Hammer Rabbi
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhtesem insan View Post
I believe the show's called The Borgias.
there are 2 different shows. The Borgias is on Showtime. Borgia is a netflix produced series (12 episodes) and is done in English but isnt an American series. Rodrigo Borgia (John Doman) is the only semi-known American in it.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Hammer Rabbi
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_J View Post
i get that there is confusion but the one i am referring to is completely addressed in my post. there is only one associated with netflix.

i dont have showtime and seeing that jeremy irons is in it seems interesting as i do like him. maybe ill get to see it when comes to dvd.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
nokmirt
Emperor

Yes, I have watched The Borgias recently. It is a very good series from Showtime. Excellent job by Jeremy Irons who plays the Pope. The French cannons used chain shot as grape against the Papal army, quite intimidating! I cannot wait for season 2. But, for now I turn my eyes to Spartacus and The Walking Dead. I am also getting ready for season two of Game of Thrones. "Winter is coming!" All of these shows influence my love for strategy games. CiV is very much one of those because it covers all the time periods. You can watch movies dealing from ancient times to space travel and everything in between. All can relate in some way to CiV.

Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead

Last edited by nokmirt; Feb 19, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
nokmirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Hammer Rabbi
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokmirt View Post
Yes, I have watched The Borgias recently. It is a very good series from Showtime. Excellent job by Jeremy Irons who plays the Pope. The French cannons used chain shot as grape against the Papal army, quite intimidating! I cannot wait for season 2. But, for now I turn my eyes to Spartacus and The Walking Dead. I am also getting ready for season two of Game of Thrones. "Winter is coming!" All of these shows influence my love for strategy games. CiV is very much one of those because it covers all the time periods. You can watch movies dealing from ancient times to space travel and everything in between. All can relate in some way to CiV.
There are 2 series. Borgia is different from The Borgias. The one i am talking about is on Netflix and nowhere else in America. It is an Italian series bought by Netflix as their sole distributor. It does not have Jeremy Irons in it.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:03 PM   #14
nokmirt
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Rabbi View Post
There are 2 series. Borgia is different from The Borgias. The one i am talking about is on Netflix and nowhere else in America. It is an Italian series bought by Netflix as their sole distributor. It does not have Jeremy Irons in it.
Yes I see now. I have to try to watch this. In fact we were looking for a reason to try out netflix, perhaps Borgia could be that reason. Thanks for clearing that up and I am sorry for my assumption which was incorrect.

Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead
nokmirt is offline   Reply With Quote