Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION II > Civ2 - Technical Support

Notices

Civ2 - Technical Support This forum is for technical questions, such as compatibilities, game installation, sound, or video problems.

Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:20 AM   #21
TomzzzInc
Chieftain

I've had problems playing Civ 2 on Windows 7 32bit, so quite a while ago I installed XP virtual PC. But that way Civ2 didn't run properly, it was slow and stuttering.
So I didn't play civ2 for quite a while until this friday and just tried starting Civ 2 from windows 7 and it suddenly worked. And I noticed I didn't have the disc inserted. But when I wanted to play again yesterday it stopped working again, with a NTVDM error. And today I started to close applications to see if anything made civ2 not working properly, and noticed i had inserted the cd. And when I ejected the cd and tried again it suddenly worked. So my problem was the cd, which means I can only play without the cd, which means no High Counsil and no music.
Does anyone have a fix for this problem? I'm happy I can play but I really like the high counsil.

I'm having no compatibility options enabled by the way.
TomzzzInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:47 AM   #22
Brakeman
Chieftain

civ 111 conquests

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofelt View Post
I can run civ2- mge on windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I installed the 64 bit patch(I don't remember from where) and it runs fine. My only complaint is with the ever hostile AI. Unfortunately 2.42 will not run on a 64 bit OS. I am trying to find a patch for the hostile AI. Unfortunately, two different patches may pose a problem. During the beta period for windows-7 I tried the XP virtual machine. It looked like it might work, but the heavy cpu usage of civ caused a problem.

I really want my 2.42 back.
Can anyone help me? running windows 7 64-Bit but wont save the game
Am new to this board not sure how to use it to post
Thank you
Brakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:44 AM   #23
knoppix
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofelt View Post
There may be more than one 64 bit patch out there. I can save and reload games properly. So far, the only abnormal thing I see is that you get a black screen with a rotating circle when you start up. Clicking on the screen gets you started.

Another thing, I get music but after one tune, it stops, sometimes until a windows opens, or some such interrupt.

Did you use the one by mastermindx referenced here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215
Dude!! Thanks!!! It works!!! =)

Civ2 On Windows 7, RLZ! =)
knoppix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:17 PM   #24
ltarmstrong3
Chieftain

CIV 1 & CIV 2 Working in Windows 7

If anyone is still having trouble getting civ 1 & civ 2 running in windows 7 then try this website:
http://www.classicgamingpresents.com...ista-p-33.html

They have both civ 1 & 2 packaged with a custom installer for modern operating systems that works. It was $7.70 USD for both civ 1 & civ 2 with their installer but works 100% in one effortless install and is worth every penny. Also you can feel safe buying from them as they accept Paypal as a method of payment.
ltarmstrong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:54 PM   #25
HangingChadDad
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarmstrong3 View Post
.... then try this website:
That link is broken for me.. just letting you know.. did it work? did you test it?

hmm.. I have tried it various times.. sometimes it works, sometimes not.. bit of luck I guess

Last edited by HangingChadDad; Sep 14, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: update
HangingChadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:55 AM   #26
geofelt
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarmstrong3 View Post
If anyone is still having trouble getting civ 1 & civ 2 running in windows 7 then try this website:
http://www.classicgamingpresents.com...ista-p-33.html

They have both civ 1 & 2 packaged with a custom installer for modern operating systems that works. It was $7.70 USD for both civ 1 & civ 2 with their installer but works 100% in one effortless install and is worth every penny. Also you can feel safe buying from them as they accept Paypal as a method of payment.
@Ltarmstrong3:

Looking at the web site, I can't figure out two things:
1) Is this a way to get 16 bit civ 2.42 to run on a 64 bit OS?
2) Does this fix the music stoppage problem when civ 2.42 is running on 32 bit vista or W7, and not on XP?
geofelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:25 PM   #27
archita
Chieftain

hi !

i heve purchased civ2 in http://www.classicgamingpresents.com...ista-p-33.html

i wish have it in Italian language

i have civilization 2 CD, i tryed to copy txt.files at civilization folder of classicgamingpresents but civ2 not run

there is a patch for convert english language to italian?

please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
archita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:19 AM   #28
Magic_gorter
Deity

Never hear of an Italian Patch, but perhaps others have.

Did you looked at one of the top threads in this section (technical support). Don't know which windows version you use but if you use Vista or Windows 7 and 64 bit then the problem may be there.
Magic_gorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:39 AM   #29
archita
Chieftain

yes, i have problems with Win7 64bit

i have taken civ2 by classicgames and it runs well, but i wish have it with italian language,

a italian conversion of civ2 compatible win 7 64bit is possible?
archita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:39 AM   #30
cywilizator
Chieftain

Can you insert this patch link? I can't stand waiting to play civ2 on Win7 64bit
cywilizator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:48 AM   #31
cywilizator
Chieftain

Hi.
I had the same problem. There was need to download patch file. In my case the file is designed for XP 64 bit but works fine in Win 7 64 bit too (Civ2XP64Patcher.exe)
I have seen this file somewhere on this forum.
You have to run this file, point Civ2.exe source path and patch it. After run Ciwilization 2 with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode.
http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip
cywilizator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:44 AM   #32
Crono
Chieftain

Happy

So, I had a problem with Civ II where as soon as I gave a command to my first settler to build a city, it would crash (Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium).

I downloaded the patch from MastermindX (here on this forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215)

And now the game works great! After an hour or so, the background music started to skip, but sound effects work fine. (It had been so long I forgot how good the music was!)

Anyway, I can finally enjoy one of the best game ever made on Win 7.

(My Civ 2 was installed from the disc that came in the Civilization Chronicles box set, and I applied this patch to MGE. I haven't tried it on TOT, but it supposedly works fine there too.)
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:28 AM   #33
Crono
Chieftain

Ok, so nothing happened when I saved. So of course, there was no save to load. After moving the directory around as stated above, the issue persisted. However, after switching the compatibility mode from win 95 to win xp sp3, I could save the game. BUT, when I load the save, the game crashes..... I'm stumped at this point.

edit: sorry for double post. Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled Civ Chronicles (where my Civ II MGE is from) and that didn't help. I also ran the latest update for MGE. Now the game doesn't even play, let alone save.

I hate windows 7.

EDIT: I changed the filepath for Civilzation II to be in "program files" instead of "program flies (x86)". Then I used Mastermind's patch. Now it plays fine (no compatibility), loads, saves, autosaves, never crashes. BUT, the music skips after a while, and the heralds, council, intro, and wonder movies are just a black space. At least it plays.

Last edited by Crono; Apr 03, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 03:37 AM   #34
tluger
Chieftain

Thanks Man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cywilizator View Post
Hi.
I had the same problem. There was need to download patch file. In my case the file is designed for XP 64 bit but works fine in Win 7 64 bit too (Civ2XP64Patcher.exe)
I have seen this file somewhere on this forum.
You have to run this file, point Civ2.exe source path and patch it. After run Ciwilization 2 with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode.
http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip
Thanks man you know your stuff it works finally!!)) Thanks alot)
tluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:22 AM   #35
Tody
Chieftain

Thanks guys

I had a really cool game, pretty advanced (my spaceship landed but I love to play till whole map is mine) and I was so afraid I've lost it. The patch worked perfectly, I have no problems with the game whatsoever
Tody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:44 AM   #36
Narz
keeping it real

Patch not working for me.

Books Narz recommends : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
"The high you climb is always the high you get" - Kottonmouth Kings
Screw Amazon, support your local library.
Narz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:02 PM   #37
Prof. Garfield
Emperor

If you are interested in playing Classic on 64 bit Windows 7, you might be interested in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTbJ...el_video_title

You won't get sound effects, full use of the widescreen, or the "nice" civlopedia, but it is classic Civ 2 and the software needed is all free.

The Civilization II Compendium Project
Prof. Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:38 PM   #38
nstync
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narz View Post
Patch not working for me.
I have installed Civ 2 and the patch, but I can't run the program, even in compatibility mode. Any suggestions??
nstync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:47 AM   #39
Chieftess

You could play by using Windows XP Mode or Virtual PC.
Here's the link from Microsoft.
How to upload multiple files to a post | File Upload | Paint Shop Pro 3.11 shareware (screenshot util - doesn't expire) | Chieftess' Culture Flip Calc | Don't wind up like this AI! | resource icons file To download a patch: Select "Advanced" from the main menu, and go to "Check for Updates". || My Web Journal (yes, it's a "blog")
Chieftess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012, 10:17 AM   #40
Tommyknocker45
Chieftain

I would like to add my wholehearted thank you as well. I was seriously considering creating a dual boot system just so I can play Civ II as well. You ingenuity and easy to follow instructions made it so easy to forego that solution and now just play it on my new Windows 7 system. Thank you so very, very much gurus!!!
Tommyknocker45 is offline   Reply With Quote