Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Civ3 - User-created Maps

View Poll Results: Roman Empire Map's
Yes, always can use another great Roman map. 13 92.86%
Oh no...not another Rome map, im going to puke. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
Roman Empire

Thread Ended.

Thank You for all the support.

Last edited by Zubareva; Jul 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Wolfshade
Little Winger
 
Wolfshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minsk, Belarus
Posts: 952
Kristina, you created a map for your own mod/scenario purposes and decided to share it? We have to say "THANK YOU!" The more to choose from - the better, IMHO, so anyone can choose a suitable map according to their taste rather than just puke.
I added some info into the spoiler - I don't if it'll be interesting/useful, that's the reason to hide it into the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Mountains in Sahara? Well, a kind of idea. Meanwhile, if you don't plan to make desert "settleable" - the map may be improved by replacing mountains in Sahara by desert tiles - there'll be no cities.
Probably, you may like the idea of 1-tile-wide big rivers - like Nile and Danube (Дунай, russian). How it looks - please, see here. It adds some flavour to the game.
Anyway, these are just thoughts. What & how to do - up to you.
__________________
72% of evil + 28% of human.
Wolfshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
Kristina, you created a map for your own mod/scenario purposes and decided to share it? We have to say "THANK YOU!" The more to choose from - the better, IMHO, so anyone can choose a suitable map according to their taste rather than just puke.
I added some info into the spoiler - I don't if it'll be interesting/useful, that's the reason to hide it into the spoiler.
Of course I like comments!

the mountain ranges on the far east and far west of Africa are respresented. But, modding is an individual thing, making it all desert to fit in with your specific needs and tastes is ok. Thats what you should do! I know some people like to post a take it or leave it graphic, but thats not me. If you see an improvement or a change that you can make, make it. And post it, because others may be thinking the same thing!


I like the idea of wide rivers that can be used to sail boats up.

Last edited by Zubareva; Jul 30, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Civinator
Blue Lion
 
Civinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
Mountains in Sahara? Well, a kind of idea. Meanwhile, if you don't plan to make desert "settleable" - the map may be improved by replacing mountains in Sahara by desert tiles
Here I agree with Wolfshade. A Northern Africa without sand ? -Here is something missing. And here is not only missing something on that map, but in the complete modding of Civ 3. The desert, that is not only plain sandy terrain. Where are the dunes, hills and mountains for that terrain? - They are missing (but not only on this map but in nearly every map for Civ 3). Here is something that could be really improved for the Civ 3 community.

This terrain could not only be used for ancient scenarios, even in WW II the Qattara Depression was a massive strategic factor in the campagne. There exists (an in my eyes not too good) landmark terrain for the Qattara Depression. But LM-terrain is difficult to handle and concerning me, I have a different (and in my eyes better) use for this kind of terrain. So what is needed, is a set of different resources that give the desert the dunes, hills and mountains and other formations for the most popular versions of terrain and if Ronning is doing his terrain set, he should have a thought about it.

There exists an old set of sanddune resources for Civ 3. I attache a screenshot from the in my eyes best German Civ 3 scenario "Aventurien" to demonstrate, what can be done in the desert with only a handful of such resources. Added as bonus resources, we can add as many of them as we want to the game. Until now, no one has reached here a border.

And Zubareva: I´m glad you share such a lot of your art with other fans of Civ 3.

Spoiler:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aventurien-Desert.jpg
Views:	1882
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	311854  
__________________
Wise men discover tourism. War becomes obsolete.
Civinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
I agree with you about the sand dunes. It would also be easier if the food plain could be seperated graphics from the desert, but i dont know if this is possible.

You could do it with resourse icon, that would be good idea. Just for flavor.

I was confused, I thought wolf was talking about the hills in the desert, because the desert was not allowing cities. I thought he was making a point that the hills would be settled. Which is true. But the AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert. The North African coast is where the settlements were. Sea trade was the important part of the coastal econonomy. So I dont usually make desert able to make a city.

Last edited by Zubareva; Jul 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
But I make good areas of foodplain and plains for the civilizations to grow.

Last edited by Zubareva; Jun 05, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Yoda Power
✫✫✫✫✫✫✫
 
Yoda Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 13,790
The map looks very nice from the screenshots. You have a good grasp of geography and terrain diversity, something that some map makers have lacked.

Yoda Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Blue Monkey
Oldman Crackpot
 
Blue Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feathermoon
Posts: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubareva View Post
I agree with you about the sand dunes. It would also be easier if the food plain could be seperated graphics from the desert, but i dont know if this is possible.
Make the desert graphic look like what you want for the floodplains. Use LM Desert for the regular desert. Not perfect, but feasible without any kludges.
__________________
A labyrinthine man never seeks the truth, but only his Ariadne - Nietzsche

The Many Worlds of Steampunk : Dark Continent
Blue Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Wolfshade
Little Winger
 
Wolfshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minsk, Belarus
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubareva
AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert.
Yes, that was a reason I made desert doesn't allow to build city after I saw it one of mods I played. So if you plan to make desert "unsettlable" - no need to fill Sahara with mountains. That was a point (oh my terrible English).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
something that some map makers have lacked.
Got your point.
__________________
72% of evil + 28% of human.
Wolfshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Blue Monkey
Oldman Crackpot
 
Blue Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feathermoon
Posts: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubareva View Post
But the AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert.
Turn the combined floodplain/desert graphics to advantage. Floodplain away from a river will look just like desert. Voila! Limited preset settleable spots in desert. Surrounded by unimprovable terrain. With an attendant risk that population will suddenly sicken & die off. Models desert settlements pretty well, imho.
__________________
A labyrinthine man never seeks the truth, but only his Ariadne - Nietzsche

The Many Worlds of Steampunk : Dark Continent
Blue Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:28 PM   #11
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
Yes, that was a reason I made desert doesn't allow to build city after I saw it one of mods I played. So if you plan to make desert "unsettlable" - no need to fill Sahara with mountains. That was a point (oh my terrible English).

Got your point.
See... I understood you!
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Mithadan
Wandering Woodsman
 
Mithadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Alberta über alles ;)
Posts: 4,032
I've always wondered how to turn my Jungle graphics into Dunes, which would allow me to make impassable desert terrain -- but so far I've not been successful, because the jungles always peek out from underneath the Dunes I copy & paste on top of them!

It would be a lot easier if LM desert could have different flags than standard desert terrain, but I don't think it can.
__________________
"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am." -- William Desmond

-----

"I'm not a fan of censoring history." -- gorn
Mithadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Yoda Power
✫✫✫✫✫✫✫
 
Yoda Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 13,790
Mithadan why don't you just remove the jungle before adding the dunes???
Yoda Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I've always wondered how to turn my Jungle graphics into Dunes, which would allow me to make impassable desert terrain -- but so far I've not been successful, because the jungles always peek out from underneath the Dunes I copy & paste on top of them!

It would be a lot easier if LM desert could have different flags than standard desert terrain, but I don't think it can.
But thats still an interesting concept. It would need to be worked out right, but i dont see why it wouldnt work if you had it just right.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Blue Monkey
Oldman Crackpot
 
Blue Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feathermoon
Posts: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
I've always wondered how to turn my Jungle graphics into Dunes, which would allow me to make impassable desert terrain -- but so far I've not been successful, because the jungles always peek out from underneath the Dunes I copy & paste on top of them!
Is the jungle graphic itself or the base terrain? Jungle will use Grassland as the base terrain. If your dunes don't cover the entire tile you will definitely see the grassland graphic around the edges.

If you haven't solved the problem post a screenshot.
__________________
A labyrinthine man never seeks the truth, but only his Ariadne - Nietzsche

The Many Worlds of Steampunk : Dark Continent
Blue Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:56 PM   #16
Zubareva
Prince
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 411
Yeah, a screen would help. I was thinking the same as to the base. It would have to have a covering bottom like blue monkey said.

EDIT-

If you leave the square on the jungle tile blank, it does make grassland, so it would work I guess if you made the whole box covered. It wouldnt work as a generic terrain feature, because it would have to match the specific desert terrain that you are using.

I think you could make it work though, and even if it doesnt, its still a great concept, because it opens the door to other options by recognizing another way to change features. I never thought of changing the jungle into something else. Ive always tried to use the marsh, or resources.

So thanks! Good ideas.

Last edited by Zubareva; Jul 30, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Zubareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:15 AM   #17
Apollo12
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Manchester,Great Britain
Posts: 24
Good map
Apollo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Civnutplayer
Chieftain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 26
Smile Newbie question about where to extract WIN rar map files to

Hi, and thanks for creating a map on the Roman Empire. I have always enjoyed reading about one of the longest-lasting empires in Western Civilization, and from briefly reading the comments other posters made about your map, you've tweaked the CIV III map to make it more accurately reflect how their world actually looked.

My question is simple: When using WIN rar to extract your compressed file, where do I extract the map file to in my CIV III folders?

Thanks.

Civnutplayer
Civnutplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:01 AM   #19
Mithadan
Wandering Woodsman
 
Mithadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Alberta über alles ;)
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubareva View Post
But thats still an interesting concept. It would need to be worked out right, but i dont see why it wouldnt work if you had it just right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Monkey View Post
Is the jungle graphic itself or the base terrain? Jungle will use Grassland as the base terrain. If your dunes don't cover the entire tile you will definitely see the grassland graphic around the edges.

If you haven't solved the problem post a screenshot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubareva View Post
Yeah, a screen would help. I was thinking the same as to the base. It would have to have a covering bottom like blue monkey said.

EDIT-

If you leave the square on the jungle tile blank, it does make grassland, so it would work I guess if you made the whole box covered. It wouldnt work as a generic terrain feature, because it would have to match the specific desert terrain that you are using.

I think you could make it work though, and even if it doesnt, its still a great concept, because it opens the door to other options by recognizing another way to change features. I never thought of changing the jungle into something else. Ive always tried to use the marsh, or resources.

So thanks! Good ideas.
Hey guys, sorry to not have responded to the thread...in almost a full month! Anyway, here's a screenshot of how far I got...way back when I was playing RaR (like 6 years ago):



I guess I never got as far as cutting & pasting the Dune graphics over the LM Jungle or LM Forest graphics, but just stopped with some hasty, experimental unicolour blobs. I tried to cover the entire tile, but there seems to be inevitable greenish bleed-over into the Desert tiles themselves because they do that (?) when placed beside any terrain that uses Grassland as a base? Same thing when placed beside Plains, although doesn't look to be a problem when beside Hills. Not sure if that can be 'fixed' by clever graphics people, but I sure don't have the savvy to make decent mods to terrain graphics (sigh).
__________________
"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am." -- William Desmond

-----

"I'm not a fan of censoring history." -- gorn
Mithadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:02 AM   #20
Mithadan
Wandering Woodsman
 
Mithadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Alberta über alles ;)
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civnutplayer View Post
Hi, and thanks for creating a map on the Roman Empire. I have always enjoyed reading about one of the longest-lasting empires in Western Civilization, and from briefly reading the comments other posters made about your map, you've tweaked the CIV III map to make it more accurately reflect how their world actually looked.

My question is simple: When using WIN rar to extract your compressed file, where do I extract the map file to in my CIV III folders?

Thanks.

Civnutplayer
You extract the file to .../Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios
__________________
"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am." -- William Desmond

-----

"I'm not a fan of censoring history." -- gorn
Mithadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Civ3 - User-created Maps > [MAP] Roman Empire

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright © Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR