Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - Creation & Customization

Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:09 PM   #281
AbsintheRed
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What is your definition of "large areas"? The Inuit conquered over 6000 kilometers of land, and still own much of it themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
I think the key word is centralized. Also, 6000 sq km is about the size of a tile in civ4 so It's probably a hex in civ5.
Quote:
I do not think you know how big a kilometer is if you think that 6000 kilometers makes one hex tile in Civilization V.
Deanej is absolutely right, 6000 sqr kilometers can easily be the size of a tile on most maps - depending on exact map size of course. Less than 80*80 kms

Of course it's easy to guess that you wanted to talk about the territory being more than 6000 kms wide or long.
But when you say something like "conquered over 6000 kms of land", it sort of implies that you are talking about territory, not distance.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:08 PM   #282
Polar Bear
Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsintheRed View Post
Deanej is absolutely right, 6000 sqr kilometers can easily be the size of a tile on most maps - depending on exact map size of course. Less than 80*80 kms

Of course it's easy to guess that you wanted to talk about the territory being more than 6000 kms wide or long.
But when you say something like "conquered over 6000 kms of land", it sort of implies that you are talking about territory, not distance.
I am stating history. The Inuit did conquer a straight line distance of over 6000 kilometers (From the Baring Straight to Eastern Greenland), because it was not originally their land, but completely different people had lived there.
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:02 AM   #283
Elenhil
Warlord

Then most of what later became Europeans have 'conquered' half the continent during the Great Migration. Relax, Rhye would hardly go out of his way to please each 'proud small people' I'd personally prefer to face rather less obscure historical opponents than the Inuits in RFC. Unless it is a dedicated 'Rise and Fall of the Icelandic Vikings' mod.
Elenhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:31 AM   #284
deanej
Deity

Quote:
I do not think you know how big a kilometer is if you think that 6000 kilometers makes one hex tile in Civilization V.
First, I thought you meant 6000 sq. km, not 6000 km straight line distance. Area vs. a line makes a large difference.

Second, those tiles are a LOT bigger than they look. Load up civ4 with RFC and take a look at the map. The entire state of New York takes up 2-3 tiles. NY is about three times larger than 6000 sq km, so it follows that one tile is about 6000 sq km. Further, I believe that the civ4 and civ5 map sizes are comparable.

Quote:
Being centralized is not really an issue for Civilization V. Polynesia and the Celts are testimony to this.
It's an issue for Rhye. He even deleted civilizations in civ4 that weren't centralized and replaced them with hostile units running around.
deanej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:29 PM   #285
Polar Bear
Warlord

Quote:
First, I thought you meant 6000 sq. km, not 6000 km straight line distance. Area vs. a line makes a large difference.

Second, those tiles are a LOT bigger than they look. Load up civ4 with RFC and take a look at the map. The entire state of New York takes up 2-3 tiles. NY is about three times larger than 6000 sq km, so it follows that one tile is about 6000 sq km. Further, I believe that the civ4 and civ5 map sizes are comparable.

It's an issue for Rhye. He even deleted civilizations in civ4 that weren't centralized and replaced them with hostile units running around.
The game starts in ancient times. Cities in ancient times were smaller than cities in modern times. I do see what you mean though.

Could you not play as the Celts in that scenario? If it is an issue for Rhye then there is hardly anything we can do about it since it is his scenario.
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:29 PM   #286
NinjaCow64
Deity

Quote:
The game starts in ancient times. Cities in ancient times were smaller than cities in modern times. I do see what you mean though.

Could you not play as the Celts in that scenario? If it is an issue for Rhye then there is hardly anything we can do about it since it is his scenario.
In Civ4, the Celts were a Minor civilization (no diplomacy, can't declare war on you, you can declare war on it but you can't make peace with it).

In Civ4, Rhye represented the Native Americans with the Natives (similar to the Celts gameplaywise), so they will probably be represented similarly.

CivOasis: Let me put it this way. I've accidentally been to an orgy, been held at machete point for an air conditioner, had two parked cars explode in front of my house, walked past a car full of raccoons, hung off the front door of a jeep hurtling through a forest, had a prominent politician's daughter decide she wanted to chill in my lap in a chapel, I've met the same dude from Nigeria in both NYC and Boston on accident...
CivOasis: And I find your game/anime/hentai thing weird
NinjaCow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:42 AM   #287
BSPollux
Emperor

Rhyes for Civ5

Where has RFC5 gone? It had its own subforum and now im unable to find it..?

Sorry if I just missed it somewhere
BSPollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:53 AM   #288
TheKingOfBigOz
Deity

As far as I know I don't think Rhye's and Fall had a Civ 5 sub-forum, besides, until the DLL is released, the RoF will not be released since it's possible to do whatever needs to be done (which I'm presuming is the stuff that happens in Civ 4, like civilizatiosn spawning at certain turns, etc)

If you create another file and make it update the base game its modding. but if you just change the base game file that's cheating. - knightmare13

I think we should dwelp more on the subject.
TheKingOfBigOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:41 AM   #289
Gedemon
Modder

civ's spawning is already done using Lua, autoturn, civ's crumbling, barbarian spawning, etc...

There may be some part's that'll need the DLL (switching from one civ to another for the human player mid game, that was a part of RFC for civ4 ? if so, yep, that would require it), but the main thing that Rhyes need is free time.
Gedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:08 AM   #290
Camikaze
Deity

Moderator Action: Merged BSPollux' thread with the bigger one.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:41 AM   #291
Me,myself,and,I
Darth Inferis

Did the Inuit even build cities? I mean they may as well be represented the same way as all the native tribes. Even the Zulu didn't get a civ in in IV. Also did the Inuit really give the Europeans any trouble?
Borg sumus. Scuta vestrum detrahete et navem vestrum tradete. Biologicam et technologicam vestrum variantiam nosterarum adjungebimus. Humanitas vestrum nos iuvare accommodabit. Refragatio futilis est.
Me,myself,and,I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:57 AM   #292
TheKingOfBigOz
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me,myself,and,I View Post
Did the Inuit even build cities? I mean they may as well be represented the same way as all the native tribes. Even the Zulu didn't get a civ in in IV. Also did the Inuit really give the Europeans any trouble?
Shaka was present in one of the EPs for Civ 4.

If you create another file and make it update the base game its modding. but if you just change the base game file that's cheating. - knightmare13

I think we should dwelp more on the subject.
TheKingOfBigOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:49 PM   #293
SouthernKing
Coffin Princess

Quote:
The reason is because Rhye intentionally distorted the continents size. Europe was intentionally enlarged to fit more "stuff" in there, while I assume the New World was shunken due to lack of that same "stuff."

If you want a more precise calculation: the Rhye's map was 124 wide x 68 high.
The circumference of the Earth is about 40,000 km at the equator, I will use that for simplicity.
Simple division, each tile is about 322.5 km wide. More complex math that takes into account the ice caps also shows us that the height is also 322.5 km.
Squaring that number shows us that each tile is approximately a whopping 104,000 square km.

Those numbers cannot be taken too literally, as Rhye made the oceans a lot narrower than real life (especially the Pacific) for somewhat obvious gameplay reasons. Compare Rhye's map to an actual world map. If we were to make the oceans, say, a 50% bigger (seems about right) we would have each tile be about 215 km wide: that seems better, about 46,000 sq km/tile.

If there is anything we can learn from this, it is that Civ maps do not translate well into RL distances
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:22 AM   #294
NinjaCow64
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfBigOz View Post
Shaka was present in one of the EPs for Civ 4.
Yes, but not in RFC.

CivOasis: Let me put it this way. I've accidentally been to an orgy, been held at machete point for an air conditioner, had two parked cars explode in front of my house, walked past a car full of raccoons, hung off the front door of a jeep hurtling through a forest, had a prominent politician's daughter decide she wanted to chill in my lap in a chapel, I've met the same dude from Nigeria in both NYC and Boston on accident...
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:26 AM   #295
DaddyBrix
Chieftain

News about RFC for Civ V

Hi guys, do you have any news about RFC for Civ V? I remember there were some troubles about the DLL's, did Firaxis release them?
Thank you!
DaddyBrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:58 AM   #296
Me,myself,and,I
Darth Inferis

Yeah, I should have clarified, I meant not in RFC.
Borg sumus. Scuta vestrum detrahete et navem vestrum tradete. Biologicam et technologicam vestrum variantiam nosterarum adjungebimus. Humanitas vestrum nos iuvare accommodabit. Refragatio futilis est.
Me,myself,and,I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:21 PM   #297
HardRocker
Student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBrix View Post
Hi guys, do you have any news about RFC for Civ V? I remember there were some troubles about the DLL's, did Firaxis release them?
Thank you!
Hey, DaddyBrix, welcome to CFC!

Unfortunately, no, Firaxis has not yet released the DLL for CiV, but we are hoping they will release it with the Gods & Kings expansion.

I myself have not personally heard any news on RFC, but I assume if they release the DLL in June, then the show will officially be back on the road.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:04 AM   #298
pokeravi
Warlord

Sorry to sound dumb but why is the DLL needed to make the mod?
Old May 27, 2012, 02:42 AM   #299
NinjaCow64
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeravi View Post
Sorry to sound dumb but why is the DLL needed to make the mod?
Basically because all the cool stuff would be really hard to do in Lua and it would probably be slower than a 3000 B.C RFC American start running on a 95 computer if it was.

Old May 27, 2012, 10:05 AM   #300
deanej
Deity

Plus a lot of stuff that is currently hacked in with Lua can only be done "properly" with the DLL. A lot of AI stuff needs it too.
deanej is offline   Reply With Quote