Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > Computer Talk

Notices

Computer Talk Forum for computer geeks and dummies.

Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3181
Zelig
Smugly Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame View Post
I was kind of wondering about the value of this one:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

They claim to be the closet thing to a Model M IBM keyboard. Is that what is meant by the "cherry brown" activation---or does "cherry brown" refer to the Commodore 64 keyboards?
The Model M is overrated, modern mechanical key switches are better than the buckling springs the model M used.

The Das Keyboard is good, depending on the price.

Cherry Brown refers to the type of mechanical key switch, Cherry makes a bunch of different ones, and labels them by colour (brown, blue, black, red, white, etc.) So the Das Keyboard has the same keys as the Kinesis, the Blackwidow Stealth, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGame View Post
The mechanical keys are supposed to reduce the amount of pressure needed to activate a key and also reduce the number of miskeys.
Depends on the switch, some mechanical switches require a lot of pressure. Cherry brows require the least pressure among pure mechanical switches, and Topre hybrid capacitive switches are similar.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:25 PM   #3182
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
It is exceptionally more comfortable than non-split keyboards.
Perhaps if you type the standard way and not like I do.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3183
PlutonianEmpire
<custom user title>

Are there any active online forums dedicated to sci-fi worldbuilding, where I could ask questions about creating plausible worlds and systems, and get answers in a timely manner, as well as share the worlds I've created?
PlutonianEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3184
civ_king
Deus Caritas Est

I seem to recall one could trace an IP of a user on a website via WHOIS, am I remembering correctly and if so how do I do it.

Cor ad cor loquitur
civ_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:49 AM   #3185
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ_king View Post
I seem to recall one could trace an IP of a user on a website via WHOIS, am I remembering correctly and if so how do I do it.
You can get a general idea of the location here http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm?getlocation

Question: My modem is somehow blocking incoming ports and that breaks some of my programs. I cant find how to access modem settings. How do i fix this. Port forwarding is set up correctly but i cant get it to open.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:16 AM   #3186
civ_king
Deus Caritas Est

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeandbeatles View Post
You can get a general idea of the location here http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm?getlocation

Question: My modem is somehow blocking incoming ports and that breaks some of my programs. I cant find how to access modem settings. How do i fix this. Port forwarding is set up correctly but i cant get it to open.
I'm sorry, I mean find the person's IP address

Cor ad cor loquitur
civ_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3187
Atticus
Deity

I have sql problem.

This works:
select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb;
This works:
Insert into Bbbb (aaa,eee) values (4,0);
But this doesn't:
Insert into Bbbb (aaameee) values (select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb, 0);

Can somebopdy tell where the problem is?

EDIT: I got it working! it's
insert into Bbbb (aaa, eee) values ((select max(aaa) from Bbbb)+1, 0);

Though I don't understand what's the crucial difference between these two expressions. That's what bugs me with sql, it seems like you always have to be guessing how to write it correctly. At least for a beginner.

Last edited by Atticus; Feb 23, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:55 PM   #3188
PlutonianEmpire
<custom user title>

I should have asked this question YEARS ago.

Is it a bad idea to use the same username across multiple forums/sites? If so, why?
PlutonianEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3189
salty mud
Ey-up

I'd say using the same password is worse. I suppose it makes it easier for potential hackers to gain access to more of your accounts, and thus more of your information.
salty mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3190
Cutlass
Ideas are Like Stars

It really depends on how much you care that people from one place know who you are at other places. Except when places are spinoffs from one another or related in some way, it's very very rare that active people in one place are active in another.

But, then, Cutlass is a much more common name than PlutonianEmpire. I can't register under the name Cutlass at places like Twitter or Youtube because it's already taken.
Cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:55 AM   #3191
Samson
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ_king View Post
I'm sorry, I mean find the person's IP address
http://www.ipchecking.com/ does this if you want to do it one by one by hand. Do you want to do it automaticly at the web server? That will need a bit of code I expect.
History has remembered Samson as a hero after he committed suicide by destroying a religious building during a civilian festival killing thousands of people including the leaders of a regime that had occupied his homeland.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3192
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutonianEmpire View Post
I should have asked this question YEARS ago.

Is it a bad idea to use the same username across multiple forums/sites? If so, why?
Yes, if only because of cyberstalkers.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3193
Quintillus
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeandbeatles View Post

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the last sentence (can't get modem settings to open?) but what I do to open modem settings is:

1. Go to the command line, and type "ipconfig /all".
2. See what your Default Gateway is. Mine is 192.168.0.1.
3. Go to your web browser and type in your default gateway in the address bar (ex. 192.168.0.1 in the address bar).
4. You have your modem settings page.

I have DSL, and my ISP might make a difference, too. But, something like that should provide access to modem settings.
Quintillus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3194
aimeeandbeatles
watermelon

I put in the gateway and came up with the router.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3195
contre
Let's go bother Snape!

So I have an old smart phone (Sony xperia x10) running Android 2.3 It's able to do tethering and act as a wifi hotspot for the phone's mobile data. I'm curious if there's also a way to use it to connect a computer to my home's wifi network. To use it as a USB wifi antenna or something.

You're alright but I'm here, darling, to enjoy the party.

◖|◔◡◉|◗
contre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3196
Turner
Deity

EasyTether (Free & Paid) allows you to physically tether your device to a computer via USB and use the phone as a modem. The free app does not allow https:, the paid app does.

PDANet (Paid, 30 day free trial) allows this as well. There are a lot of programs in the market/playstore that allow this, search for 'tethering'. If you have a rooted phone, there are more options available to you.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:03 PM   #3197
contre
Let's go bother Snape!

Er, I'm under the impression that uses the phone's data connection and I plan on removing the SIM card leaving it a wifi-only device. I'll check it out though.

◖|◔◡◉|◗

Last edited by contre; Mar 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3198
J-man
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
EasyTether (Free & Paid) allows you to physically tether your device to a computer via USB and use the phone as a modem. The free app does not allow https:, the paid app does.

PDANet (Paid, 30 day free trial) allows this as well. There are a lot of programs in the market/playstore that allow this, search for 'tethering'. If you have a rooted phone, there are more options available to you.
Can your mobile phone company easily see if your using your phone as a modem, because in my 'users agreemnet' it say tethering is not allowed. (A very stupid rule btw).
J-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3199
Turner
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by contre View Post
Er, I'm under the impression that uses the phone's data connection and I plan on removing the SIM card leaving it a wifi-only device. I'll check it out though.
I don't know, I've never tried a wired connection to a wifi. Might work. It depends on if those two will try to use the 3g or 4g connection. But if I were to use the market on the phone and it's attached to a wifi network, it uses that connection and doesn't turn on the 3g/4g antenna to connect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-man View Post
Can your mobile phone company easily see if your using your phone as a modem, because in my 'users agreemnet' it say tethering is not allowed. (A very stupid rule btw).
Don't know. I know that some custom rom sites include a wifi tethering, and that doesn't incur an extra charge with the carrier. They say they don't get charged the tethering fee....
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3200
contre
Let's go bother Snape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I don't know, I've never tried a wired connection to a wifi. Might work. It depends on if those two will try to use the 3g or 4g connection. But if I were to use the market on the phone and it's attached to a wifi network, it uses that connection and doesn't turn on the 3g/4g antenna to connect.
That's a pretty good point, the phone does revert to wifi automatically for browsing and the market. Might have to dig out my old computer and try this.

◖|◔◡◉|◗