Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > World History

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:13 PM   #101
LightSpectra
me autem minui
 
LightSpectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vendée
Posts: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorakshanat View Post
Religions are all almost the same.
I pity all those drains filled to the brim with your credibility.

Moderator Action: Infracted for flaming - please don't insult people.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889
__________________
Bringing up the Catholic cleric sex abuse scandals in discussions to which they are irrelevant is emotionally exploiting the abused victims to win an argument which you know you are wrong about. It is inexcusable and disgusting. / A Defense of Clerical Celibacy

Five myths about persecutions of Christians & "Only Limited Freedom is True Freedom" & The harmful effects of pornography & Pornography's effect on children & Studies demonstrate premarital sex and cohabitation ruinous for relationships

Last edited by Plotinus; Mar 08, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
LightSpectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:39 PM   #102
ParkCungHee
Deity
 
ParkCungHee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorakshanat View Post
Religions are all almost the same. What realy makes the difference is the individual human nature.
What a dull world you must live in.
ParkCungHee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:49 AM   #103
Lord Baal
Deity
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canaan
Posts: 7,291
Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that the Aztec religion and Theravada Buddhism are almost exactly the same?
Lord Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 02:50 AM   #104
Masada
Networked King
 
Masada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Grand Palace
Posts: 11,898
where's mah christian orgies
__________________
Whenever the legislature attempts to regulate differences between masters and their workmen its counsellors are always the masters. When the regulation, therefore, is in favour of the workmen, it is always just and equal; but it is sometimes otherwise when in favour of the masters - Adam 'Comrade' Smith
Masada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:07 AM   #105
taillesskangaru
Just a passenger
 
taillesskangaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 20,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that the Aztec religion and Theravada Buddhism are almost exactly the same?
Well, there's this notorious case of the Siamese City Pillar ceremony...

Probably just a myth though.
__________________
Do it once, do it right, do it with fibre
Teakspeak - IALS - DRAW Your Own Story - C3C Earth Map - Age of the Mongols - Cure Cancer - DeviantART - Bronies Australia - Iron and Blood
"All it takes for evil to triumph is good men doing no posting." - Terxpahseyton
taillesskangaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:59 AM   #106
_random_
The Original Party Worm
 
_random_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wormulon
Posts: 6,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
where's mah christian orgies
According to rumors, here.
__________________
Come party in #fiftychat!

[185311] <@Mars> I have never fondled a moose.
[185314] <@Mars> I did not plan this well.
_random_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:31 AM   #107
Mechanicalsalvation
partisan-intellectual
 
Mechanicalsalvation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Operative Principles of Existence
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkCungHee View Post
What a dull world you must live in.
Well thank you; maybe my world is little bit dull sometimes but surely not more than an avarege so no need to be concerned much here. Besides I have pointed out the variety of human nature so the opposite is even more likely to be true...
If I am Buddhist and not Christian its becouse its suites my nature and I am not likely to change that till the rest of my life but I am certainly going to meet planty of different folks within the Buddhist path.
Christianity and Buddhism both if practised correctly and with sincererity will lead to higher truth. Also both has some involved mistakes or you can say they dont represent the whole Truth only they are ray of light which can inspire individual (if its suites his naturel) to enter into the effulgence of Light. This is viable through many other ways/paths as well. So thats the reason or point of wiew which can see all religion as very simmilar.
What you can distinguish, I think, is higher religion and lower religion. The higher religion would offer you the potentiality of realising truth in its wholeness. Whereas the lower one will offer you mainly the way of regulating your life. It goes without saying that although there are many religious folks its the minority which cares for the very highest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightSpectra View Post
I pity all those drains filled to the brim with your credibility.
I am aware it was a bit cheap after you have put so much into explaining your point but I have made one as well which you didnt took trouble to adress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
Surely I'm not the only one who thinks that the Aztec religion and Theravada Buddhism are almost exactly the same?
__________________
Sent from my stone tablet using hammer and pin.

I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun...
Parra-Wa-Samen (Ten Bears), Yamparika Comanche
Mechanicalsalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:30 PM   #108
Pangur Bán
Γυναιμανης
 
Pangur Bán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albania
Posts: 8,222
Asking whether or not "religion" has slowed scientific progress is like asking if having eyes the development of glasses. The problem is that most people build their understanding of "religion" based on the Judeo-Christian-Muslim world they know, but if you try to distinguish them across a variety of societies it's clear that they are more or less the same thing; or rather, the distinction is irrelevant and culturally specific to ours.

In our society the heart of the distinction is really two parallel classes of cosmos-explainers that we have, and that is ultimately a result of having big church organizations and large groups of people convinced that church traditions are of supreme value. In opposition to the strenght of these, we have generated myths about past religious persecutions of "science" in order to promote our own values, myths such as that of Galileo and Columbus and the flat earth.
Pangur Bán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:29 PM   #109
classical_hero
In whom I trust
 
classical_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Perth,Western Australia
Posts: 30,945
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
where's mah christian orgies
You are a millennia too late.
__________________
Sola gratia, Sola fide, Sola scriptura, Solus Christus, Soli Deo gloria. Hallelujah!!
Join the Multi-Team Democracy Game II. Ask a Young Earth Creationist 2 Creation Ministries International. Please join the CFC Fantasy League for the EPL & CFC Weight Loss Pact and get fit
classical_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:53 PM   #110
Ergo Sum
Prince
 
Ergo Sum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Mistake on the Lake
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorakshanat View Post
If I am Buddhist and not Christian its becouse its suites my nature and I am not likely to change that till the rest of my life but I am certainly going to meet planty of different folks within the Buddhist path.
Or are you Buddhist because your parents taught you to be and you were socialized to agree with Buddhist principles?

Are you saying this because it suits your nature or because you were socialized to believe in this strain of religious pluralism?
__________________
There is no reason not to consider the whole world as
one gigantic painting.
Ergo Sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:59 AM   #111
Yeekim
Deity
 
Yeekim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Estonia
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangur Bán View Post
Asking whether or not "religion" has slowed scientific progress is like asking if having eyes the development of glasses.
You mean that scientific progress would be completely useless without religion?
__________________
gentleman (n.) - a man who knows every detail about Poland, yet never mentions it
Yeekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:26 AM   #112
Mechanicalsalvation
partisan-intellectual
 
Mechanicalsalvation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Operative Principles of Existence
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Sum View Post
Or are you Buddhist because your parents taught you to be and you were socialized to agree with Buddhist principles?

Are you saying this because it suits your nature or because you were socialized to believe in this strain of religious pluralism?
Good point. It was an example and I am aware that quite often it doesnt work that way but there is no good reason it shouldnt. I was brought up an atheist in communistic Czechoslovakia. And the yoga path I am currently pursuing was choice of my inclination.
__________________
Sent from my stone tablet using hammer and pin.

I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun...
Parra-Wa-Samen (Ten Bears), Yamparika Comanche
Mechanicalsalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:42 AM   #113
Pangur Bán
Γυναιμανης
 
Pangur Bán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albania
Posts: 8,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeekim View Post
You mean that scientific progress would be completely useless without religion?
In terms of this distinction, not useless, but, rather, inconceivable.
Pangur Bán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:11 AM   #114
Mechanicalsalvation
partisan-intellectual
 
Mechanicalsalvation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Operative Principles of Existence
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangur Bán View Post
In terms of this distinction, not useless, but, rather, inconceivable.
would you clarify that pls.
__________________
Sent from my stone tablet using hammer and pin.

I was born upon the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun...
Parra-Wa-Samen (Ten Bears), Yamparika Comanche
Mechanicalsalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #115
Pangur Bán
Γυναιμανης
 
Pangur Bán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albania
Posts: 8,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorakshanat View Post
would you clarify that pls.
A lot of what we call "religion" is about is explaining the universe around us. Diachronically, i.e. in historical terms, science is in essence a specialized off-shoot of religion that does the same job and scientists are the off-shoot of priests and monks (they actually are!). Synchronically, i.e. for us in our culture at this time, "Science" defines itself against "religion", but both concepts are for us dependent on the other. Another way to look at it: viewed from the position of science, religion and "tradition" is the negative imprint of science (the scientific method and the corpus of observations and theory dependent upon its practice), but the boundaries are unclear because our scientific tradition is not always popularly understood to explain as much as it actually can do.
Pangur Bán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #116
warpus
pork strike force
 
warpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stamford Bridge
Posts: 34,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangur Bán View Post
for us in our culture at this time, "Science" defines itself against "religion", but both concepts are for us dependent on the other.
I'm not sure which part of the sentence is more incorrect, the first or the second.
__________________
New Zealand 2010 | Peru 2012 | Thailand 2013
warpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:19 PM   #117
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid
 
Traitorfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24,398
Care to enlighten us? It does not seem self-evidently absurd to me.
Traitorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:15 PM   #118
warpus
pork strike force
 
warpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stamford Bridge
Posts: 34,493
Well, since when does science define itself to be "against religion?" That is just nonsense.
__________________
New Zealand 2010 | Peru 2012 | Thailand 2013
warpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:33 PM   #119
Traitorfish
The Tighnahulish Kid
 
Traitorfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 24,398
Could you explain why?
Traitorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:55 PM   #120
Pangur Bán
Γυναιμανης
 
Pangur Bán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albania
Posts: 8,222
At a guess I'd say Warpus is reading "against" as "hostile towards", which for clarity is not the intended meaning.
Pangur Bán is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back Civilization Fanatics' Forums > COLOSSEUM > World History > Has Religion Slowed Scientific Progress Through History?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Advertisement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site is copyright © Civilization Fanatics' Center.
Support CFC: Amazon.com | Amazon UK | Amazon DE | Amazon CA | Amazon FR