AI citystate influence

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
If you're playing v142.6 or higher, please enable logging. Then, if you encounter any odd situations with AI leaders buying unusually high amounts of :c5influence: citystate influence, attach your lua.log file to a post in this thread. I'm attempting to disable vanilla's citystate influence purchasing so this mod can handle it.

(Also, for people using the citystate diplomacy mod the system now attempts to purchase a unit of flavor_diplomacy instead of direct influence. This requires "USING_CSD" set to 1 in vem's options file.)

I think I might have figured out what's going on. I forgot to deduct gold from AIs who earn opportunities! This was likely the reason for unusually high AI science, population, and citystate influence. I've attempted to fix this in v142.7.

I'll drop my 142.3 game and move on to 142.7 later today.

One question: how could not paying 150g occasionally make much of a difference... or am I missing something?

In my 142.3 game, Gandhi dominated the CS, and was doing extremely well in science. (He beat me to Industrial somehow.) But the rest of the AI got caught in a mediocre sludge.

The citystate immigration opportunity gives +50:c5influence:, which is a lot to get for free. That opportunity and the building-focused ones cost 200:c5gold:. It was basically like giving every AI that gold once every ~20 turns.

The CS issue is back with this version. In the 140-150 turn range on Emperor, Continents Plus standard, an unmet player is steadily snagging CS, and now has almost every single of the 15 CS in a range between 450-550 (one at 320).

I don't know if the difference between 144.2 and 143 can be split, but that would be a good place to try.

The CS issue is back with this version. In the 140-150 turn range on Emperor, Continents Plus standard, an unmet player is steadily snagging CS, and now has almost every single of the 15 CS in a range between 450-550 (one at 320).

I don't know if the difference between 144.2 and 143 can be split, but that would be a good place to try.
Eek. I didn't think the AIs' CS or gold-buying logic changed between those versions though (or at least I don't see it on the website's changelog)...

Eek. I didn't think the AIs' CS or gold-buying logic changed between those versions though (or at least I don't see it on the website's changelog)...

Something changed in 142.8/143. I think Zaldron and I played a few games in which there was very little competition (much like the old days).

In my 144.2 game, Polynesia (that's the culprit) is in the four figures on 14 of the 15 CS as of t175. By the way, Polynesia is only a mid-tier cv in this game. (He just took my next door neighbor ally, and I'm about to DoW him for the rest of the game just to keep it!)

Something changed in 142.8/143.
v143
Misc

• The AI instruction to purchase units for diplomacy_flavor should now correctly detect if the “USING_CSD” option is enabled in the Options file.
AIs were not purchasing influence in v142, because they were attempting to purchase CSD diplomat units.

Whenever things feel odd, post the log file so we can see what's going on. It's important to figure out when it's the mod purchasing influence, and when it's vanilla.

In the latest V144 beta I believe you killed it (haven't seen any crazy ai cash buying of CS). I had 20 CS in my game with 8 other ai. So what ever you did good stuff!

In the latest V144 beta I believe you killed it (haven't seen any crazy ai cash buying of CS). I had 20 CS in my game with 8 other ai. So what ever you did good stuff!

It's back with v144.2. Thal said that the temporary fix was due to the AI erroneously shifting their gold to CSD diplomats.

I adjusted some variables in v.5, which I think Hawawaa might have been referring to. Looking over my numbers I realize I lowered things too much. I was aiming for another 50% drop, and 60:c5influence: to 30 target influence (my first change) is a 50% reduction, but 30 to 1 is a 96% reduction (the second change). I'll try a new number for v144.6.

The likelihood of an AI spending money on influence depends on their situation. If the AI is allied with all at-peace citystates, they are 25% as likely to spend more on citystates (was 50%). I'm not sure how to best provide details, but the overall process is described below.

1. priority = how much the leader favors allying with citystates
  2. total = 0
  3. peaceful = 0
  4. for each at-peace citystate:
    1. peaceful = peaceful + 1
    2. if not allied then total = total + (value from the chart below)
  5. chance of spending on citystates = priority * total / peaceful

Attachments

• Citystate.PNG
    Citystate.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 178
Something changed in 142.8/143. I think Zaldron and I played a few games in which there was very little competition (much like the old days).

In my 144.2 game, Polynesia (that's the culprit) is in the four figures on 14 of the 15 CS as of t175. By the way, Polynesia is only a mid-tier cv in this game. (He just took my next door neighbor ally, and I'm about to DoW him for the rest of the game just to keep it!)

I've only had time for a single game in v143 but indeed there was very minimal competition for CS influence.

When I encountered this in my last game. It wasn't so much that the AI was willing to purchase influence that was the problem, as much as it was there should have been no possible way that the AI could have had that much gold to actually spend on the influence he was buying.

This seems to be what Txurce seems to be saying as well.

Thal, in your post you make it seem as if it is the AI's willingness to purchase not the actual amounts of gold the AI would need to make those purchases.

In my last game there was no way that the two city AI who had lost his capital would have had the gold nessesary to make those purchases in the first place no matter how "willing" it was to do so.

Its exactly as Dunkah say. Once AI start to buy of influence it never stops.
Regardless of the AI income the influence with ALL CS that its interested in will keep on rising every turn bit by bit. Weird is that the amount of influence gained is often not possible to get as its either to small or to large for bribe action or CSD diplo unit.

When I encountered this in my last game. It wasn't so much that the AI was willing to purchase influence that was the problem, as much as it was there should have been no possible way that the AI could have had that much gold to actually spend on the influence he was buying.

Whenever things feel strange like that, please post the log file so we can see what's going on. It's also important to know which version you're playing on, since some bugs were fixed in recent versions. :)

Top Bottom