Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION IV > Civ4 - General Discussions

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1
frisbee
Chieftain

What Nation is your Colony?

Every now and then I create a colony. I started keeping track, and 8 of the last 10 times, it's been America (all 3 leaders).

This seems randomly implausible (I haven't tracked what other civs were present in my game, which I need to do, but I know in several cases, the USA wasn't present).

Does anyone know the logic behind what civilization you get when you liberate some cities?

Thanks-Frisbee
frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Orion071
Home School Tutor

In my latest game, the AI created a colony and it was England.

America seems like a logical choice for a colony since it's a relatively new civ in real-world terms.

Need help finishing off a Space Race? Read Winning the Space Race Peacefully - The Endgame
Orion071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
cain3456
Prince

Check your Civ4CivilizationsInfo.xml file. The information is all in there. Look for DerivativeCiv. For example, Carthage's is Spain, Rome's is Byzantine, Babylon's is Persia. Some, such as Russia or Arabia, have none listed--pick at random?
As for America, your perception is valid. All the New World Civs and the colonizing civs have America as the derivative civ.

^Orion, was it the Celts? They're the only ones who have England as a derivative civ.

Last edited by cain3456; Apr 12, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
cain3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
frisbee
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain3456 View Post
Check your Civ4CivilizationsInfo.xml file. The information is all in there. Look for DerivativeCiv. For example, Carthage's is Spain, Rome's is Byzantine, Babylon's is Persia. Some, such as Russia or Arabia, have none listed--pick at random?
As for America, your perception is valid. All the New World Civs and the colonizing civs have America as the derivative civ.

^Orion, was it the Celts? They're the only ones who have England as a derivative civ.
Thanks for info (I looked a the file). I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not random.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
krazybastid
Chieftain

Did you know you cam choose your vassal, theres a mod I found out when I started a thread in Modding forum. Search my forum handle and you will find the mod. I always play a European leader when I play and I like to choose a European Vassal. Viking is not a bad vassal if they have atleast 5 cities there financial is a good boost, plus there Agressive trait gives them good unit promotions. Perfect combination for a vassal. Holland is a pretty good vassal to have also. When I grant indepence. I like to pick a good civ that can hold its own, Like Viking or Holland. I generally don't like to grant a industrious vassal. Because they compete for wonders.
krazybastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:39 PM   #6
frisbee
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybastid View Post
Did you know you cam choose your vassal, theres a mod I found out when I started a thread in Modding forum. Search my forum handle and you will find the mod. I always play a European leader when I play and I like to choose a European Vassal. Viking is not a bad vassal if they have atleast 5 cities there financial is a good boost, plus there Agressive trait gives them good unit promotions. Perfect combination for a vassal. Holland is a pretty good vassal to have also. When I grant indepence. I like to pick a good civ that can hold its own, Like Viking or Holland. I generally don't like to grant a industrious vassal. Because they compete for wonders.
Thanks for info on mod - I'm not really interested in choosing my vassal (might skew the balance) - Mostly I just enjoy the feeling I get when I unwrap my bright shiny new pet.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7
awesome
Deity

i've gotten greece a few times
awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Orion071
Home School Tutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain3456 View Post

No, it was Suleiman and the new civ was Churchill. Maybe Suleiman's set colony was already in the game?

Need help finishing off a Space Race? Read Winning the Space Race Peacefully - The Endgame
Orion071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Antilogic
Not Marching to the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
Thanks for info (I looked a the file). I'm surprised and disappointed that it's not random.
If the derivative Civ is not in the game, then you get the derivative Civ. If the derivative Civ is already in the game, it randomly picks from the remaining off-map Civs. So it's kind-of random, depending on how you allocated your Civs at game-start and which Civ you are playing.

Just not fully random.

13.1, baby, 13.1!
Antilogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 PM   #10
frisbee
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antilogic View Post
If the derivative Civ is not in the game, then you get the derivative Civ. If the derivative Civ is already in the game, it randomly picks from the remaining off-map Civs. So it's kind-of random, depending on how you allocated your Civs at game-start and which Civ you are playing.

Just not fully random.
If there any way to modify the xml file to make it random (for example, by making the derivative civ a null value?

I don't want to run a mod - Buffy works just fine for me.

--Frisbee
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Antilogic
Not Marching to the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
If there any way to modify the xml file to make it random (for example, by making the derivative civ a null value?

I don't want to run a mod - Buffy works just fine for me.

--Frisbee
If you look in the XML file, some Civs do not have a derivative Civ specified (I haven't looked in awhile, but I think it says NONE in caps or the tag is just empty). Copy-paste that entry over all other derivative Civ entries and it should be completely random.

Standard warning: it would be best to do this in a duplicate file, and drop it into the CustomAssets. That way, your base game files are safe if you make a mistake (just delete your additional file and retry). Also, if the BUFFY mod doesn't have a corresponding file, your CustomAssets file will still be loaded and used instead.

13.1, baby, 13.1!
Antilogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:20 PM   #12
CocoIsKing28
Slightly less stupid

I've gotten Monty a few times... And of course, everyone hates Monty, therefore everyone hates me.
CocoIsKing28 is offline   Reply With Quote