Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Technical Support

Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Jesusfreak
Chieftain

Noob question: Is it possible to extract the sound files from the game?

Quick noob question: Is it possible (and legal) to get the sound effects from unit attacks from the game? I wanted to use the sound files for something I was doing in another game.
Jesusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Don Pepito
Warlord

Quick noob answer: AFAIK it is possible to copy any .amb and/or .wav file from their folders and use them with other purposes than to play Civ3 but if those purposes include a commercial use of them, then, it's not legal. In other words: you can do at home what you want with the sounds but beware of using them any other way.

Last edited by Don Pepito; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammar as always...
Don Pepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Jesusfreak
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pepito View Post
Quick noob answer: AFAIK it is possible to copy any .amb and/or .wav file from their folders and use them with other purposes than to play Civ3 but if those purposes include a commercial use of them, then, it's not legal. In other words: you can do at home what you want with the sounds but beware of using them any other way.
Well, it's for my minecraft server. It's not for profit or anything, so I'd assume it's ok.

Er, another noob question: The thing I'm trying to do apparently requries .ogg files. I've never heard of .oggs or seen them used anywhere else. How do I convert my sensible .wavs into this strange and mysterious format?

EDIT: Ok, I found a site that can convert my .wavs to .oggs, but for some reason it's not working for one of the two sound files I'm testing out. I can upload the "MusketmanAttackHammer.wav" file and convert it to a .ogg, but it won't let me download the finished .ogg (it gets stuck at 0%)... any ideas?

Last edited by Jesusfreak; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Jesusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Don Pepito
Warlord

AFAIK the only sound formats used by Civ3 units are .wav and .amb. Never hear about .ogg. Maybe you can try to send a PM to Ares de Borg with your question, as he uses to make a lot of sounds for Civ3 units...
Don Pepito is offline   Reply With Quote